1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

That looks amazing.........

i did this in a place in New Hampshire about 7 years ago.

2. Barry

Barry New Member

I may run 200km ultramarathons... But this is a fundamental aspect of my training.. Movement, Earthing , CT

Danny, cmegan, JoeBranca and 4 others like this.
  3. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Yep mine too. I try to get in a daily dose of connecting to the cold, water, earth and movement.

4. Barry

Barry New Member

So CT doesn't have to be submerged in icy waters..

nor does it have to be for x amount of time and y temperature

Today, we reduce too much, we set too many parameters... we try to perfect too much

when paradoxially , the less we reduce, the more we can increase, and the less we try to perfect, the more perfect we become

This was a 60-90min mountain/forest run in below zero temperatures, with minimal clothing and barefoot

CTS.jpeg

Danny, cantweight, Joe Gavin and 3 others like this.
  5. Inger

Inger Silver

Love it Barry... just love it :)
    I love your Norwegian hat too BTW ;)

6. Terminator

Terminator New Member

Are you wearing an ice pack vest ?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry these pics rock........

8. Barry

Barry New Member

No, a weight vest

9. Barry

Barry New Member

Training Update:

I see nothing but addition these days in the fitness world. I recently wrote a 30 page report for a client, competitive runner, detailing everything from fat adaptation to mitochondrial biogensis to circadium rhythm to PVN.... I got one question back... "whats the best protein shake to use"...

Its the bullshit society we live in today where everything to improve our health and fitness is about what we can add.... what we can add... that costs money.... that provides comfort.. that removes any effort... that is a one stop magic bullet

I see this everywhere... the quantlet is just another example of this.... I've already discussed this with Jack

Rather... when you look deeper... much deeper... and you aren't afraid of discomfort.. and want to put in effort... and realise that time and patience are required... you realise that substraction brings gains.. it adds to your life

so now, for example... I don't use protein shakes, or D-ribose or exogenous ketones etc etc.... I eat real food, I get cold, I train fasted, I suffer and I wait...

In fact, as each day passes... I am removing way more from my life yet I am gaining much more.

People are blinded to this today.... and I personally think its one of the main reasons for failure.

We're creating fragility.

another rant over.....

10. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

Awesome rant. I don't train like you. I don't train at all. I always strived for addition in all things and wound up with nothing. Yet I have recently subtracted much from my life and gained so much more. Love the sentiment. Thanks Barry. Cool following your writings.

11. shah78

shah78 Gold

Agreed, agreed , agreed.....but......... Discomfort does not equal suffering. To paraphrase "my main spiritual man" Jean Klein: Suffering, especially in the West , is highly overrated!

Danny likes this.
  12. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

Bruce lee...
    "It’s not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential."
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance."

13. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Ido's been pounding the point too. something like "the more expensive the fitness gear, the cheaper the movement"

Danco3636 likes this.
  14. Inger

Inger Silver

oh.... I love these rants.. it is how I experience too

15. Barry

Barry New Member

CT Irish Style "in order for the adaptation to occur, the stimulus must resonate"

Glendalough.jpeg

JoeBranca, cmegan and fitness@home like this.
  16. Barry

Barry New Member

Similar to my "rant" , what happens when we try to add more

this from Nassim Taleb....

"When people get rich, they lose control of their preferences, substituting constructed preferences to their own, triggering their own misery. And these are the preferences of those who want to sell them something (a skin-in-the-game problem as their choices are dictated by others who have something to gain, and no side effects, from the sale).

I've mentioned here the following anecdote. I once had dinner in a Michelin-starred restaurant with a fellow who insisted on eating there instead of my selection of a casual Greek place. People in the restaurant were of the very constipated style, that kind of atmosphere. Dinner consisted in a succession of complicated small things. It felt like work. I left the place starving. Now if I had a choice I would have had some time-tested recipe (say a pizza with fresh ingredients, or a juicy hamburger) in a lively place --for a tenth of the price. But because the fellow could afford the expensive restaurant, we ended up the victims of some complicated experiments by a chef judged by some Michelin bureaucrat (one that would fail the Lindy effect, instead of eating some minute local variation around a progress through Sicilian grandmothers).

(Footnote: Hamburgers are tastier than filet mignon, because of the higher fat content, but people have been convinced that the latter is better because it is more expensive to produce).

The same with real estate. Most people, I am convinced, are happier in close quarters, in a real barrio-style neighborhood, where they can feel human warmth, but when they have big bucks they end up pressured to move into a humongous impersonal and silent mansions, far away from the neighbors. Not counting the fact that their house will be professionally managed like a corporation.

I am saying this because, with the passage of time, I am more and more convinced that very few people understand their own choices, and end up being manipulated by those who want to sell them something. Looking at Saudi Arabia which should progressively revert to the pre-oil level of poverty, I wonder if taking away some things from them will make them better off."

Jenelle and Joann like this.
  17. Barry

Barry New Member

image (2).jpeg CT for me is more powerful in the winter months. When you live in a cold climate. When the days are short and dark. When it requires more suffering .

What you do post CT is also key

BrainWhisperer and Optimalbound like this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry keep the pics up.........digging it. 70 degrees here but I got to go to surgery in 30 minutes.

19. Barry

Barry New Member

20. BrainWhisperer

BrainWhisperer New Member

Have you ever heard the phrase "conscious labor and intentional suffering"...? You call-in a very useful Force when you Work in those two domains simultaneously.

_/\_

Lynn