1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Farmed Salmon

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Technosmith, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

2. Maggie P

Maggie P New Member

To me, the litmus test for food source based on Jack's training (and I am new, so I apologize if I got it wrong) is that when in doubt, go with Mother Nature. Farmed fish and factory farmed beef and pork are loaded with antibiotics and live unnatural lives and eat unnatural foods. For optimal health, we should choose fish and meat animals that live as Mother Nature intended, or the meat may be toxic and lacking in nutrients. In other words, evolutionary biology shows what we are adapted to, and we should be very cautious about any change that takes us off the natural path we have become adapted for. Also, especially for fish and shellfish, where they live matters, even if they are in the wild. Fukushima has put a lot of radiation into the Pacific and continues to. Shellfish are mainly filter feeders, so even wild caught ones can have toxins if they live in polluted water. It's a shame, but we just need to be more alert about the source of our food these days. I read labels carefully and do my best to get wild caught and pasture raised fish and meats from 'safe' locations.

3. Michalis

Michalis New Member

4. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Thanks folks. Interesting.

Not 100% sure Jack would be in complete agreement with the above though.

caroline likes this.
  5. kris90

kris90 New Member

Ya, I believe Jack has stated that selenium and iodine are the antidotes to radiation, and seafood is loaded with these nutrients.

caroline likes this.
  6. Maggie P

Maggie P New Member

With what part? I didn't say don't eat shellfish. I said if you're smart, you'll research the source of your shellfish. There are clean sources of shellfish, but never make assumptions. Filter-feeding, bottom-dwelling organisms like clams and oysters that don't move around a lot are at great risk when their environment becomes toxic, and it all gets passed up the chain to you. Example: shellfish may survive in sewage-loaded environments, but I wouldn't care to eat them raw.

kris90 likes this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Maggie, you need to read more about what Jack has said and why he said it. Farm raised fish raised properly is better than grass-fed animal meat and fat. My members know why this is the case. I don't think you do. I hope you stick around to learn.

8. Maggie P

Maggie P New Member

I will research the forum for the information. This is literally my first day active here, and there is so much wonderful information to read. I'm very grateful for your taking the time to moderate and share your knowledge. I am sure the key word in your statement is 'properly', so I will find out what those conditions are. I would personally LOVE to get more fish and seafood in our diet, but we live in AZ, and the pickings are very slim. It's about the only thing I miss since moving from Tidewater VA. We used to get good seafood and fish. We are hoping to move to the Virgin Islands in the future, so with any luck, fish will get back on the menu in a big way.

9. Michael CULLEN

Michael CULLEN New Member

10. Sea Girl

Sea Girl New Member

Hi,

We are in Oz. My 8 year old dauther loves smoked salmon - that's her favourite food. I try to offer her other seafood options, but she still asks to buy whenever we are shopping together.

Unfortunately we only have farmed options available. Which one would be a better choice - from Tasmania or Norway? Does it make sense to buy organic?

In Costco there is frozen wild caught salmon from Alaska - is it OK to defrost it and eat raw?

Thank you,

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

That seems like a really good option.

12. Mitchell97

Mitchell97 New Member

If it's salmon you're after, then I would buy the frozen one from Costco. Otherwise I would buy wild-caught seafood and shellfish from a fish market.

13. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Farmed salmon fed microalgae have tons of DHA so I beleive that is one reason why Jack is on board with it. You have to make sure and call the company to confirm. Frozen fish decresaes DHA content so I just eat more of it when i do.

14. Sea Girl

Sea Girl New Member

It says on the packaging that it has to be cooked. Buy I will try raw once I get it.

The nearest Costco is in Me 150km away, we don't have the membership, but I ask my friends to buy a few things there. There are also pretty cheap fresh oysters ($15 per dozen) and large mussels (farmed, organic)

15. Sea Girl

Sea Girl New Member

Salmon is my daughter's favourite food, especially smoked slices. But we only have it farmed in the local supermarkets (Woolies had wild-caught for a few weeks - I bought it all :rolleyes: and they didn't restock).

No fish market either, but my husband goes fishing during warmer months, so if he is lucky we get to eat fresh snapper, whiting, leatherjacket, mullet and Australian salmon (but it's quite different from the red one).

16. Sea Girl

Sea Girl New Member

It's good to know that freezing decreases DHA - was not aware of it. I suppose, not so much as cooking does...

I am wondering who has more sustainable aquaculture practices in raising salmon - Norway or Tassie farms. I will compare the DHA content on the packaging next time I get them both.

17. Mitchell97

Mitchell97 New Member

Nice :) The farmed salmon from Tassie is still better than eating grass fed meat but what they feed those fish down there is not optimal :/ That's why I said to eat wild fish instead :D haha but do what you can for you and your family to get DHA in :)

18. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I do along with my 21 mos old . we even eat the farm raised raw or lightly seared. the farm raised is a bit fattier and tastes better to me. but like the skin on the wild caught. and yes I have both my omega's and mercury levels tested. All in an optimal to even better range. And I eat my seafood daily......

19. Michalis

Michalis New Member

A friend of mine from Scotland sent me that...

https://theferret.scot/sick-salmon-scottish-fish-farm-film/

If that is the state of play for some salmon farms up there with corresponds with my post further up the thread... doesn't look good.

@Sean Waters

You had some trouble with your wild salmon supply,
    Maybe your latest salmon batch got infected by lice from the fisheries?