1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Factor X squared:

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by Jack Kruse, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

my top 3 labs based upon what I know right now for a quick hack: HDL, DHEA, Vit D level Why? HDL tells me three main things.....overall inflammation in the body and at the mitochondrial level, Zeta potential (how viscus blood is die to inflammation, EMF, artificial light exposure and how badly their body is lacking in electrons to make ATP at their mitochondria) , HDL levels how permeable the intestinal border is now. DHEA is the middle of the hormone chain so it gives me a decent idea of how metabolically efficient one is.......it tells me about the proximal chain (free T3 and pregnenolone) an it tells me what I should expect from the distal sex steroid hormones if this one is low........the most important thing DHEA tells me is sleep efficiency because of its 98% correlation to IL 6 production in the brain.......from its level and the persons age I can extrapolate what their IGF1 and salivary melatonin are doing to circadian cycles. The vitamin D levels tell me two main things.......how bad immune system is off, and is there a potential slow methylation problem if both the HDL and Vit D level is low.........Then I can test the methylation pathways if I think the clinical story matches the history. Low Vitamin D levels also tell me about mitochondrial efficiency and how tight new synapses are or will be now based upon age and level of the lab.......if the age is above 40 and the level below 20 I know that this patient likely has a severe low brain dopamine level and low sex steroid hormones too. Those are my top three and why. Testing allows us to challenge our beliefs. Understanding the hormone panels and the labs is the Rosetta stone for understanding mitochondrial efficiency. We only are as good as our mitochondrial function. They are the batteries of our cells and much like a new Xmas toy that has bad batteries placed in it it wont work optimally. The same analogy is true for human mitochondria. We need to assess the exhaust from the mitochondria......CO2, H2O, and Tissue O2 levels. This tells us all about how good or bad our Ferrari engines really are running. We should define bioenergetics as the studying the flow of chemical bond energy within organisms. In a living cell, the principal reactions of fuel metabolism take place in the mitochondria, where food energy is released,oxygen is consumed, and water and carbon dioxide are produced. All life on earth utilizes the energy formed from water formation to power pathways and metabolism. Remember the Calvin cycle/photosynthesis, where carbs (glucose) are formed from air (CO2), and energy of the sun? In the mitochondria, the opposite reaction occurs. Energy from the exothermic reaction of water forming from air (O2) and the enzymatic burning of fuel (oxidizable food, glucogen, glucose, fat) result in HEAT and ATP. When one mole of H2O is created from one H2 (hydrogen) and half O2 (oxygen), 286 kJ of power are released (in other words, 68 kcal, which is about one small potato).... FROM FORMATION OF ONLY ONE MOLE OF WATER. So clearly, a high BUN/creatinine ratio on a chem 7 also tells us we are energy starved. This is why dehydration is a major clinical sign of mitochondrial damage and or stress. This is another reason why I ascribe to the mitochondrial theory of aging. We have no direct ability as humans to repair mDNA. It is our weakest link and as I have said in the Brain gut 5, we are only as good as our weakest link. Well, this is it for all mammals.

CO2 1/2 O2 = one mole H2O (~18 grams water = 3.5 teaspoons) = 286 kJ

With cellular respiration, instead of an enormous, exothermic explosion (like a hydrogen bomb), the electrons and protons are added step-wise on a gradient known as the electron transport chain (ECT) in plants and animals. A biological mitochondrial 'battery' is created with the 'anode' on the inner mitochondrial membrane side and the 'cathode' on the other. Heat is energy released when oxygen is the final proton acceptor and coupled to the enzyme (F1F0-ATPase) that forms ATP, the universal currency of cellular energy in the body. When the protons fall across the proton channel, ATP is formed. We use ATP as fuel every minute every day for all cellular work, then recycled back to ADP. In one day, it is estimated that our mitochondria may produce our own weight in ATP (1). Efficiency of the theoretical transfer of energy from oxidizable fuel to ATP and heat is shockingly good: 39% ATP and 61% heat [1]. Mitochondria are energy giants. To give you an idea of how good they are read this: This is is from my blog on June 14, 2011 called What powers life and death? "Bacteria generate energy across their outer membrane. This limits their energy production due to geometry. Their energy production falls off due to a falling surface area to volume area ratio. Animal cells, by absorbing the power plant, now figured out how to internalize energy production and expand the surface area of the inner membranes with massive folding like we see in the surface of the brain. These evolutionary changes are believed to have occurred only once in the history of our planet. Endosymbiosis is rare in bacteria. Peter Mitchell was initially ridiculed for his theories on bio-energentics of mitochondria. He showed how effective this evolutionary maneuver was. He showed that this change caused a pH gradient as well as an electrical charge of about 150 millivolts across the inner membrane. This may sound like a small amount of charge, but consider this fact. The inner membrane is only 4-5 nanometers thick, so the voltage across this membrane is about 30 million volts per meter! For comparison, that is equivalent to the energy in a bolt of lightening. That one bolt has the power generate energy of 1500 three thousand square foot homes in one mitochondria. Each cell has hundreds to thousands of those power houses in them. That is the power surge that fueled evolution and complex life forms."

Obviously many biological factors determine true efficiency: iron status (cytochromes are composed of heme), ubiquinol (not ubiquinone) (huge and another test I often perform) , oxidative and inflammatory state (mentioned above in the three tests), thyroid, HPA axis function (DHEA as a proxy for other hormones) , hormones, etc.

Plants (chloroplasts) get 3-6% efficiency from transfer of solar energy to the energy bonds of plant starches and fatty acids. Particular C4 plants can get 7-8% (sugarcane) and one super cyanobacteria strain Chlorobaculum tepidum achieves 10%. Various modern fuel efficiencies are approximately -- for coal (~20-30s%) and solar (20%). This puts into perspective how important mitochondrial efficiency really is to optimal health.......with out the ability to make ATP what do we call a person? They are called a cadaver. Illnesses are the stops on the train line between optimal and being a cadaver.......if your batteries are off it is a measure of your real wellness or illness in my view.

CITES:

1. http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073525502/930160/mad25502_ch08.pdf

Stay strong and on point........and when you feel weak.......re listen to the December 2012 Webinar.

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

well OUCH. You really hurt my head with this one.

Generalized question ... so if HDL is high, DHEA is high but Vit D is on the low side what would THAT tell you? and how do you test for dehydration?

If dehydration is a measure of mitochondrial damage, can the damage be reversed and how?

Now to stumble through this post again. Maybe more will stick this time.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If HDL is high is tells you your zeta potential of your serum is good and you have the ability to make ATP provided the substrate for bio-energenics are present (coming in the Mitochondrial Rx post/webinar. If ViT D i slow and DHEA is high with a high HDL you wonder about a phase two detox issue or a SNP in the VDR. It could also because of fatty liver or a leptin liver issue (blog leptin part deux) You also could be a slow methylator or you could have a frank A1298T or 677T issue.
    dehydration measures the mitochondrial exhaust.......if you have no exhaust if tells you the engine is not efficient. The reason for that have to be worked up. Best way to reverse it in my view is steeped green tea.......1-2 L per day.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Kenneth Blum developed the Reward Deficiency Syndrome for addiction but I think it has far greater application for many other low dopamine states. Low dopamine can result from low dopamine, fast clearance, poor receptor function, or imbalance with serotonin in the brain due to excessive carbohydrates or exercise routines. Mr. Blum has stated that he believes that glucose cravings and obesity are due to a lack of dopamine receptors in the brain......Dr. Kruse has stated that any low Dopamine state for any reason leads too poor choices in the Dopamine Rx.

Low Vitamin D levels and a high HCY should point us to a problem of dopamine clearance in the methylation path.

Exercise in any excess causes increase hunger, increase methylation demands, and increase usage of ATP. It causes cells to swell and loss of bio energenic substrates. Longer term it will destroy your Vitamin D, DHEA, and cortisol cycles.

Those who say exercise makes them feel good with bad labs need a reality check..........your mitochondria determine your mood and affect. They are what power the production of dopamine and serotonin.

Mental illness and poor affect is a sign of mitochondrial imbalance.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

An upside down PG/E2 ratio is 100% related to a low dopamine state.......so ladies and men........you now know to test your brain dopamine pathways using the hormone panel as the Rosetta Stone.

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Everytime you talk about exercise I have to wonder just how much damage I did to myself 20 years ago. I started doing step aerobics in my living room and worked up to an hour 5 times a week. Then I found The Firm workouts which combined low impact aerobics with free weights. When I finally quit doing those workouts a couple of years later I was doing them 6 days a week, an hour at a time.

Want to guess how much weight I lost? If you said zero you'd be dead on target. Everyone kept saying "well you've probably put on muscle. Are you clothes fitting any differently?"

Well not just no but hell no. I weighed about 10 pounds less then than I do now. I will say the heavy duty workouts sure helped me deal with the stress at work but I can only shudder at what they did to my biochemistry. Lesson learned.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Biggest paleo (Fx) fallacy.........exercise really matters. It is not that big a deal the way modern humans do it. If you do MovNat that is real exercise........

8. diane

diane Gold

Don't you love that Darleen? And that's how people are trying to be supportive! [​IMG]

I ran a marathon a few years ago. While I was training, my partner at the time didn't believe that I was training because I hadn't lost any weight (have since dumped him lol). I had a feeling at the time that it was wreaking havoc on my body. I think I was right.

That being said, I have always had a hard time losing weight without doing exercise - even a half hour 2-3 times a week makes a difference for me. Weight training, not cardio. I walk a lot every day - that's enough "cardio" for me.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Go read the Oprah blog post right now.......and you will see why you did not lose weight: http://www.jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Read it 3 times already.[​IMG] Probably should do it another 3 times just to be sure the info got completely into my thick skull.

11. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Speaking of a thick skull ... thanks for the tip (again) about green tea. I promptly brewed up a liter and am about finished with it.

and thanks for the answer to my question. I just don't know enough about any of this to make sense of it all by myself. Very VERY frustrating.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

no......Darleen when your understanding changes you will see new meanings you missed.......I always re read stuff like 19 times when I learn something new about it or make a new connection. It opens your third eye.

13. Thor

Thor Banned

The correct form of exercise was developed clear back in the early 1970's *HIIT* - only those on in the inside like Dorain Yates or Mike Mentzer - the greats of bodybuilding were aware of it... I posted a video in another section about this very topic. The video really helped to drive home the point. It's like having a bathtub over flowing with water - do you worry more a towel on the floor getting wet or do you turn the water off & unplug the tub to get the water out? Turning the water off is an Epi-Paleo Diet and unplugging the bathtub is HIIT exercise. Straight forward stuff....

Everyone is taught the only way to improve your health & get in better shape is 5 days a week of moderate cardio. Funny thing is cardio doesn't help but only hurts your health more. If you want to run a 10k don't exercise but lift heavy! Lifting weights is the only way to improve cardio... You'll never find one personal trainer at a fitness club like 24 Hr Fitness say that.

[video=youtube_share;2PdJFbjWHEU]http://youtu.be/2PdJFbjWHEU[/video]

14. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I have a question about the green tea...I thought drinking that much would actually dehydrate you...the small amounts of caffeine? Perhaps I'm way off, and I would like to know for sure. For 1L how much tea leaves do you use?

I'm taking green tea extract 3x/ day to help with adrenals. I think this helps in a subtle way. I'm also taking Vitex and ox bile. Vitex to help with progesterone levels and ox bile to help with liver bile flow. I also use magnesium sulfate as of late (yesterday) just to help with extra magnesium. I will get magnesium oil next month (have to wait to get more money again).

The process of getting to Optimal is very difficult and has many speed bumps that throw you back to almost square one...it's a learning curve for sure---and without testing, decent drs to help it makes it that much harder. So I try to borrow Inger's approach and figure things out the best for me. I do have it narrowed down though to liver, progesterone (which affects thyroid) and a little bit of adrenals (I've gotten a lot better in this regard though).

Wish me luck that I do not have so many rough patches for 2013 compared to 2012 due to major improvements in my learning of the material and of my self.

Thanks.

p.s. I really would love a consult with the good doctor Jack....so maybe one day. I will have my HDL, vit D and DHEA ready for him. lol

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Steep the tea. if you got bad mitochondria you dont need caffeine contrary to what Mr. Asprey thinks.

16. freesia

freesia Old Member

Zorica,
    I wish you solid improvements, and much healing in 2013, with all my heart. [​IMG]

17. Zorica Vuletic

I was asking if the caffeine in the green tea was dehydrating, I didn't suggest that one needs the caffeine for bad mitochondria. I would think it would slow healing anyway (not cause damage, just make it harder).

Ok, does anyone know what's a good length to steep the green tea. Is it just the ~3 minutes like it says on some sites, or is this something much different and you end up steeping it for a day despite the bitter taste and instead for health benefits?

Thanks Anne for your kind words! [​IMG]

On a random note: I can eat white onions raw with no ill effect like heart burn, but with red onions I get heart burn (but this was many months ago since I tested red onions). Strange no?

I ended up getting the magnesium oil. I'm really fighting a low budget but I get so desperate at the same time---hope it helps extra with the other stuff I'm doing. I hope that my troubles are a bit of detox or restructuring...but I said that last year and look where I ended up? (Had long period of what I thought was awesome health though)...just now though it got 'unravelled' and now I have to deal with the 'catched flame that turned into a vicious cycle'...:-/

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Re: caffeine in green tea, the best way I know of to reduce it is to steep it for 30-60 seconds, throw out that water and then refill and drink the second brew. From what I've read (someone please correct me if you have other info) most of the caffeine emerges in the first minute.

Re: Mag oil, Dali Dula posted a 'recipe' to make your own for pennies a while back. I have since done it and it's easy. You get nigari crystals (it's what they use to make tofu!) put into a jar, fill with water, dissolve and let sit for a day, then use. I can make a litre for less than $5. Epsom salts are another super cheap way to get Mg.

19. Zorica Vuletic

Hey thanks so much. I will try the nigari crystals. I don't understand about the tofu...it's not actual tofu ? Thanks.