1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Eyewear for August 21 solar eclipse?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Doyourcycle, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Doyourcycle

Doyourcycle New Member

Curious what the word is about specialized eyewear for the eclipse?
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

None for me.
    Alex97232 and Scompy like this.
  3. Doyourcycle

Doyourcycle New Member

Why would NASA recommend only viewing with protective eyewear? What about kids?
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Mystic Rose60, ValerieBee and Scompy like this.
  5. michellehp

michellehp New Member

My kid's school sent home a permission slip today- do I consent to allowing my child to go outdoors on Monday to view the eclipse while wearing eye protection? If I fail to return the form or refuse to allow them, they will have to stay inside the computer lab and watch the whole event on the live stream. I got angry over this. So I need to give the school permission to go touch blades of grass? Do I give permission to school nurses for sun screen? How about he should need a permission slip for all the screen time (vs. lack of outside play) and wireless routers (vs social interaction) and emf (vs dopamine building lunches on picnic tables) and bring your own device program (instead of bring your own pencils) and computer test taking (vs paper) and graphic arts instead of paints? Grrr. I'm getting worked up.
  6. shiran

shiran Curious

My thoughts about the eclipse coming in 21-22 of august

The word eclipse - eclipse, comes from the Greek "eucalypse"
    Which means leaving, liberating or abandoning.
    And that is precisely what is experienced in the eclipse, the desire to surrender, to release and to abandon
    The parts that limit us from expressing our greatest potential.
    Eclipse generally invites us to change / release in our lives,
    So we have the choice to surrender and act consciously in this internal process,
    Or was chosen to rebel and resist the energy that comes. No matter what is chosen, the change will be made.

Wondering what are your thoughts?
    ValerieBee and michellehp like this.
  7. Doyourcycle

Doyourcycle New Member

Instead of battling the school maybe show your son how to slip into the background and slide his glasses down his nose and look--though I'm assuming it ought to be still be at an averted gaze?

Everyone else should be looking up and your son should go unnoticed if he's in the back. Depends on his age as well to dodge staff....
  8. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

Or better yet, let him stay home Monday.
    Sean Waters and michellehp like this.
  9. michellehp

michellehp New Member

He's 11 and quite intelligent and on the shorter side so he could be actually very covert should he choose to be. Lol. It's just the irony of the situation. His school has artificial turf for the playground.
    No nature for you! These kids are so sanitized and "protected" from everything.
  10. michellehp

michellehp New Member

that thought did cross my mind, however I am taking him out of school the following week to go to the beach for some important nature education. :)
  11. Unfortunatly I wont get a full eclipse where I live. I should look 10 degrees or so away from partial eclipse and not directly correct?
  12. ValerieBee

ValerieBee Radical Mitochondriac

13. shiran

shiran Curious

I would also use some advice? What should I do ? Just look at it ? Thanks
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Here is the irony.........the paradigm says the sun is bad for you so block and now that it will be blocked tomorrow you better beware of that too because its bad for you................LOL Stupid is as stupid does.
  15. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

LOL! Mom showed me the front page of her USA newspaper yesterday and businesses are selling out of the "special" sunglasses for the eclipse. We had a good chuckle over that one Jack.
  16. Vervaina

Vervaina New Member

Was near the red zone in TN for the eclipse today. Still have a headache. About 15 before the sun was at full eclipse and it got dark, the contrast around us changed. It was really weird and the light was muted white light, it gave me a terrible headache and eye strain then went into a migraine and felt sick to my stomach. I wasn't even looking at the sun, it was just the ambient light. Went over to Dale Hallow Lake and got in and grounded. Felt better. Wished I had been in the lake for the event :)

Got home and saw lots of people reporting headaches from the eclipse.

Some "experts" are blaming it on being outside and getting more sun in our eyes than usual today. :) My guess was it was the white light causing the headaches.
  17. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

There was only 73% obscuration here, but the quality of the light was very weird. It was kind of like twilight - but the angle of the rays was all wrong for that as the maximum occurred about an hour or so after solar noon here. It is hard to describe, but eerie, as the light was thinner than normal. :rolleyes::glasses:;)

As it got darker, it made me feel sleepy! :)

I noticed a bit of a headache afterward too @Vervaina but I seemed to be okay a couple of hours later.
  18. Benny Hammond

Benny Hammond New Member

I stared at it for 20 seconds with my naked eyes in Santa Monica. I couldn't see a damn thing for 20 seconds afterwards, then I played some of the best volleyball I have played this year. That was stimulus!
    Sean Waters likes this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Funny how nobody went blind...........without the glasses. Profits registered.
    Alex97232 and shiran like this.
  20. cap

cap New Member