1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Experiments in fasting

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by sjoshua, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

This past weekend I participated in a Cycle for Life bike ride to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. The ride was in Half Moon Bay, right along the ocean coast. It was a beautiful day, and the fog rolled out just in time for us to pedal. The sites were fantastic, the downhills were mad, and the climbs were... well, as fun as a climb can be :)

The reason I am sharing is not because I participated, but moreso how I participated. For the three days leading up to the ride, I barely ate anything (~50% of one typical day's food over the 3 day stretch, estimate). Not so much intentionally, but moreso because I didn't need nor want it. Also relevant is that I've been on vacation, which means spending my time away from technology. I spent my time bicycling around and laying in the grass and climbing trees at the local parks with some friends.

There was no point in the ride where I ever 'crashed' despite the fasted state. There was no muscle soreness during or after the ride. The first meal I ate afterwards was ~6 hours later, and it wasn't that I was hungy.. I just knew it was time to re-fuel. When your body works, it works.

Oh yea, and I started prototyping a new invention over the weekend... you can see it on my bike if you look realll close! (no spoilers yet)

Here's our team (I'm on the far left): https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxu8z8ddetdxafn/Team_Missy-llaneous_Miles-2014.jpg
    Shenanighans on the podium with some teammates after the ride: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3sohs828hpq4o8/CM-JS-AM-MP.jpg

nicld and Josh like this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

nice....
    How was your weight? stay the same? How was your water intake?

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Thanks for sharing! Are you barefoot? (is this some way to stay grounded while on the bike?)

Josh likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Gold

well the gray tape and no tape on the drops? Not clear what it is for.....

5. Josh

Josh Gold

Hmmm...a grounding strap like cars use and I notice a tube coming out of the bottle...

6. Josh

Josh Gold

I am thinking it is a bar cooling system to cool your hands and the blood like the hypothermic glove???

7. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

I drank some water, not much though. Less than 12 oz for sure, prolly less than 8... Funny thing is, the only reason I even brought the camelbak was to carry some extra water in case the prototype needed a re-fill.
    I haven't weighed myself in weeks. As my posture has been correcting and I've been consistent with my weekly pull ups, my weight has naturally shifted to around 160lbs. If I had to guess, nothing changed... I really don't sweat much aside from covered areas i.e. under my camelbak where the skin can't breathe.

I am barefoot as often as possible, but wore vibrams while pedaling for a little cover on my feet in case of errors. Grounding while on a bike would be great, but I don't want to risk connecting myself to dirty power, so this is still a thought project.

Eating oysters lately I see :)

caroline likes this.
  8. Jude

Jude Gold

Is he giving away precious secrets?

9. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

Nothing is a secret once the universe knows about it :)

10. The universe already knows!

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I like this, sjosh!

12. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

Haha, I got a signature quote huh? Thanks!

Its the truth too though... be careful with knowledge like this. Only those that look can find it. :)

13. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

14. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

Josh likes this.