1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Exatest

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Souldanzer, May 8, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Has anyone done this one? Dr K recommends it for magnesium levels but I think I actually would benefit from the whole electrolyte panel.

They don't tell how much it costs on the site. My doc is looking into it for me but it's taking a bit too long.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Sent the info to my PCP - and asked her about it... I'm 100% willing to pay out of pocket for it and she knows that...so I'm hoping the next time I see her she'll say yeah lets order!

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I have no doubt he'll order it if I want it... I just like to know the price of what I purchase ahead of time :)

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'd love to get more info on this test too. My doctor isn't familiar with it, but I'm hoping I can get him to order it. I emailed the lab that does the testing twice now to ask if there are any practitioners near me that have ordered it, but I have yet to receive a response.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

http://www.exatest.com

Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 17:31:23 -0700

To:

Subject: INTRACELLULAR EXA TEST Re: Price of Exatest?

We don't provide the cost on the web site because we accept assignment. That is we accept what the insurance allows and it depends on your insurance contract.

Below is our standard informaton:

Thank you for contacting IntraCellular Diagnostics; we appreciate your interest in EXA Test

Below you will find

General information, cost, insurance issues, and a clinical description that may provide answers to questions patients generally ask:

Upon receipt of an order the specimen collection kit is sent priority mail to the healthcare provider. The test results are faxed and mailed to the provider one to two days from the moment we receive the specimen at the Intracellular Diagnostics laboratory.

EXA Test provides results for six elements: Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, and Chloride.

We will review the specimen collection procedure with the healthcare provider and we also provide support to the physician for interpretation and protocol: 541-245-3212

Patients need a clean mouth for the test and must avoid all dairy, soy or any sticky foods, sodium, chewable tablets, Tums, chewable vitamins and minerals etc. before the test. It is best to fast overnight. When food is necessary, PT can eat water soluble light foods. Contact IntraCellular if you have any questions on this or any other matter: 541-245-3212

We do not distribute the specimen collection kit to patients. It is important that patients consult with their physician and plan any treatment with his or her advice.

We do make an exception if the patient lives in a rural area or has difficulty getting to a physician's office; but we require a prescription. It can be faxed to: 541-245-3215.

The kit will be sent wherever the healthcare provider requests.

For providers not familiar with the EXA test, we have scientific information, peer reviewed research and publications including quality of life studies.

ICD is a CLIA licensed laboratory and is HIPPA compliant.

Billing information and payment options

We are a Medicare contracted laboratory and we bill everyone below the Medicare allowed fees. Allowed fee is the maximum fee the insurance company will pay. We accept assignment, which means that we accept what the insurance company allows.

Medicare always pays 80% of the EXA Test if the patient's contract is in order and has not expired. Secondary insurance pays the balance. If the patient does not have secondary insurance we accept the Medicare payment. We do not accept any prepayments from Medicare patients.

Private insurance pays according to patient contract, please see if you have out of network benefits or deductibles; a prepayment of $250.00 and a copy of your insurance information is required(see below.) Any overpayments that may occur will be refunded to you after the insurance pays.

Below is additional billing information that may or may not apply to you. And, don't miss the letter to your doctor at the bottom of this email:

We do not accept Medicaid as primary insurance though we accept it as secondary insurance.

r />
    If the patient's contract does not provide for out of network service, or the carrier is an HMO, the patient needs to obtain a pre-authorization for CPT Code 88348. The insurance company will also need an ICD9 Code or the physician's reason for the test. You may call our office for assistance.

For a Pre-authorization, the insurance company needs to know that Intracellular Diagnostics is an Independent Clinical Laboratory and the only Specialty Reference Laboratory that processes this specific test

Patients not certain that their insurance will pay for the EXA test may call our office 541-245-3212, Patient Services, for additional information.

The healthcare provider may send the specimen to Intracellular Diagnostics with a prepayment of $250.00 (with the PT's check or credit card) and the patient's insurance information so that we may process the EXA Test, and bill the insurance and try to get payment on the patient's behalf.

If the claim is denied or the patient is not covered, is out of network or not insured, IntraCellular accepts the prepayment of $250.00 as settlement. If there is an overpayment a refund will be sent to the patient.

Some insurance companies consider IntraCellular Diagnostics out of network and may send the check to the patient. The patient needs to send that check to IntraCellular Diagnostics. We bill everyone $570.00 which is below the Medicare allowed fee. Private insurance may or may not pay the full amount allowed. But if the insurance pays the claim IntraCellular will refund the patient any overpayments.

Other literature is on the Internet at http://www.exatest.com and published research is under Research and Reference http://WWW.exatest.Com/Research.htm

Below is a clinical description and indications for the physician..

Sincerely,

Patient Services

IntraCellular Diagnostics, Inc.

945 Town Centre Dr. Ste. A

Medford, Oregon 97504

www.exatest.com

541-245-3212

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

For Physicians:

RE: EXA TEST, Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analysis using Analytical Scanning Electron Microscopy; Testing for intracellular tissue status of Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Phosphorus.

The EXA test is most helpful when used with patients who: experience atrial fibrillation, are taking blood pressure medications or any medication that impact mineral electrolytes, have implanted devices/ICDs, or have other CAD-(Coronary Artery Disease), for pregnant women to diagnose and prevent eclampsia, diabetics, those who have chronic pain, or have difficult to diagnose pathological complaints like chronic fatigue syndrome, those who routinely supplement with calcium, athletes who deplete electrolytes in sports, and for patient with conditions where mineral electrolyte balance is compromised.

The EXA method for intracellular tissue analysis was developed within a traditional scientific environment by a medical scientist and professor of medicine, Burton Silver, Ph.D. EXA Test has seen extensive research by major institutions. It is evidence based and publications are in peer reviewed journals. The EXA Test is a noninvasive tissue analysis that also addresses the concerns of integrative medicine practitioners.

Although EXA was originally developed for cardiology, the sublingual epithelial cells as used by IntraCellular Diagnostics correlate with cells that are prevalent throughout the body. Essential minerals and electrolytes are so crucial throughout the body that EXA can be used as a diagnostic assay in a variety of conditions.

Sublingual cells have a high cytoplasm to nucleus structure facilitating mineral analysis. Epithelial buccal cells are aerobic and contain full metabolic biochemical pathways. They offer a rapidly renewing, homogeneous and easily accessible population which reflects current total body intracellular mineral status.

The EXA Test is a direct measurement of mineral electrolyte content in epithelial cells. Once collected and fixed, there is no manipulation of the cells and the specimen a long life span for diagnostic purposes.

Throughout his career, IntraCellular Diagnostics's founder, Dr. Burton Silver, has worked closely with many cardiologists including those at Baylor, John Hopkins, Bethesda Army Hospital, NASA, Cedars Sinai, and the NIH.

The test was validated by clinical work and research with the institutions above mentioned and others. The double blind studies were published with Johns Hopkins in Circulation-the Journal of the American Heart Association. More studies are published in other peer review journals. One of our more recent quality of life studies with Cedars Sinai and UCLA was published in the American Journal of Cardiology and is on our web site http://WWW.exatest.Com/PDF%20Files/42003Silver%20Shechter%20Quality%20of%20Life%20in%20CAD%20PT%20AJC42003.pdf

We also have publications online from the Hartford Hospital in Connecticut that references quality of life for patients with ICD devices and antiarrhythmic medications, and one that references the differences between serum and EXA tissue magnesium:

http://www.exatest.Com/PDF%20Files/AdMagHTNStudy_AnnPharmacother2009;43;online.pdf .

The various publications in Circulation, The Journal of the American Heart Association, focused on correlation of the sublingual epithelial tissue with heart, musculoskeletal, and deep organ tissue. The EXA Test results do not correlate with blood but with tissue:

http://www.exatest.com/PDF%20Files/1.%20Correlation%20of%20%20Tissue%20Magnesium%20with%20Cardiac%20Levels%20Using%20a%20Non-invasive%20Testing%20Method%20(full%20paper)..PDF

Another Johns Hopkins research showed the magnesium and electrolytes of sublingual cells correlate with soft and connective tissue in the body. Magnesium studies do not correlate with blood; only 1% of magnesium is in the blood; 99% of Mg (and Potassium) is in the soft tissue.

Problems with metabolism of these essential elements are common. And there are a variety of conditions that EXA results can assist in identifying; When a baseline is established with EXA a first easy step is taken to resolve a complex problem. With EXA it is easy to track a patient's progress because dynamic changes show in the tissue first.

EXA Test is an early detector of a variety of conditions related to magnesium deficiency, calcification of tissue and overall mineral electrolyte imbalance. EXA results can assist in an early diagnosis of Hyperparathyroidism, osteoporosis not yet detected through bone scan, medication related metabolic changes, and the impact of some medications that either suppress or retain some elements creating symptoms not identifiable through blood tests.

For some patients dietary intake can complicate metabolism of essential elements. An example of excess dietary calcium intake are patients who have ingested for years large amounts of calcium to prevent osteoporosis without a balanced electrolyte protocol to regulate or modulate the excess. This practice is common and yet can lead to destructive high levels of calcium in the tissues. Early detection can assist in the prevention of complex diseases.

Altogether, EXA is a very useful diagnostic assay that assists the physicians in following their patients closely. EXA encourages treatment and patient compliance. ICD's EXA can assist you and your patients with solutions to short as well as long term problems and in obtaining desirable results that contribute to quality of life.

ICD is CLIA licensed and HIPPA compliant. IntraCellular Diagnostics is contracted with Medicare. EXA is covered by Medicare and most insurance. We do not accept Medicaid as primary insurance. We are a "Specialty Reference Lab" so out of network coverage for private insurance is available with pre-authorization and depending on patient contract.

Feel free to contact ICD if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Physician Services

IntraCellular Diagnostics, Inc.

945 Town Centre Drive

Suite A

Medford, Oregon 97504

www.exatest.com

541-245-3212

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

very hard to find this test.......We cant order it at my hospital

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I had no problem getting it ordered - my physician's office just ordered it directly from exatest.com

Now I have to figure out how to get it covered via insurance.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My physician's office just called that my insurance will cover this as long as it is coded correctly

I didn't need the pre-authorization it turned out. Test should arrive this week at their office.

If anyone in the Boulder/Denver area wants this test, this doc just learned how to get it for you:

Dr Berger

Holistic and Integrative Family Physician

http://www.boulderholisticmedicalcenter.org/dr-paul-berger

He accepts most insurance.

10. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Thanks for sharing!

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Got my preliminary results (over the phone) yesterday and even in CW terms they were classified as low. Not super low, but low. Considering that I have been supplementing with mag for years and stepped it up to 1200mg/day plus mag oil several times a day for 7 months now, I'm guessing I'm trying to fill a bottomless hole. My mag levels must have been non-existant a few years ago. Just like my D. That's scary.

What's happening to all that mag?

12. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Souldanzer, my buddy has lyme and biofilms steal magnesium for their structure. I'm trying to figure that out for ours as well. IDK if that's it. They are ghosts. she isn't carb free enough to make the body steal it back.

13. Martin

Martin Gold

I am very interested in the Exatest and had my mold doc order a kit - $300.

I have had eight competent, IMHO, hair analyses done since 2004 and I always show low mag levels.

Not sure if I'm going to do it just yet as my healthcare dollars come out of my pocket - no insurance

I may do the Exatest when I get past my biotoxin illness that really needs all my attention and funds to get thru.

Meanwhile, I just load up on mg. threonate and Calm. I want to get malate when we run out of Calm.

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My Exatest results....

Intracellular Levels:

Magnesium............... 34.6 Range 34.0 - 42.0

Calcium.....................5.1 HIGH Range 3.2 - 5.0

Potassium.................117.8 Range 80.0 - 240.0

Sodium.....................3.9 Range 3.8 - 5.8

Chloride....................3.8 Range 3.4 - 6.0

Phosphorus...............15.6 Range 14.2 - 17.0

Ratios

Phosphorus / Calcium..............3.7 Range 3.5 - 6.0

Magnesium / Calcium...............5.8 LOW Range 6.1 - 12.2

Magnesium / Phosphorus..........2.2 Range 1.8 - 3.0

Potassium / Calcium.................16.2 LOW Range 19.1 - 38.0

Potassium / Magnesium.............2.9 Range 2.4 - 4.8

Potassium / Sodium...................23.6 Range 19.4 - 38.9

I understand Mg is low but I can't supplement any more? All my electrolytes appear to be in the lower ranges except for Ca. There's a second sheet that has graphics and it's all pretty low except for Ca and Phosphorus. I was also heavily supplementing Potassium until recently. Dropped it now in favor of having skin without dermatitis.

http://www.exatest.com/PDF%20Files/19.%20INTERPRETAION%20GUIDE%202001.PDF

I don't think anyone has done this yet but thought I'd post it anyways :)

15. shilohman

shilohman New Member

High blood glucose depletes magnesium. My guess on your high calcium is that you supplement with calcium. Dr. K recommends getting your calcium through your diet. I can't find my link to the research on how calcium from supplementation is handled differently, but it is not good in the body. If I remember correctly, it promotes hardening of the arteries in the brain. But my memory may be bad from all of my calcium supplementation :cool:

Hope this helps.

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Those would be the parts that worry me.... I'm not taking calcium so the calcium is coming from somewhere else than my nutritional intake..... my bones? I'm trying to HEAL my bones!! Now, it could just be the other option, which is that I'm low on mg and PTH is increased due to that, increasing Calcium. How to find out?

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I've been supplementing mg like crazy and can't possibly go any higher. I realize that my body might be dumping it b/c of elevated BG but there's nothing I can do about the high BG either.... my brain won't tolerate a lower BG right now.

How long does it take to replete mg from a severe deficiency? I think I didn't have one bit of mg left a few years ago. Then I was supplementing @ 400-800mg for a few years, now stepped it up to 800-1200mg plus oil for 8 months now. Maybe I just need more time to undo the deficiency?

18. shilohman

shilohman New Member

How is your vitamin D level? Also, are you taking vitamin K2? Dr. K says a healthy vitamin D level causes calcium to be absorbed and that vitamin K2 is what causes it to be absorbed into the bone.

As you already stated, the reason you are having problems with your Mg level is that high BG causes Mg to be sequestered into the cells of the body. Can't remember if it was Dr. K or someone else, but I have read that to decrease BG you need a high protein diet with low glycemic carbs.

You are correct, it just takes time to undo the deficiency. Just keep on trucking and before you know it your BG will come down and your Mg levels will improve.

Isn't it aggravating that we just can't flip a switch and fix all of this stuff.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Good news.....usually when you get this one done you dont need another for a while.....

20. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I just remembered highlighting that the carnitine determines the iodide absorption in the thyroid and other tissues. I thought I remembered you saying you weren't soaking it up... Heart patients seem to need it.... peripheral neuro patients seem to need it...that would be us if we can't get our sugar right.