1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Everyone, please read, someone has hacked Dr. Kruse's Fcebook account:

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by MJ*, May 16, 2012.

1. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Well, no, I don't think this is true. He likes to be the leader, but not the spoonfeeder. He likes to be the Socrates, asking probing questions to get us to find the answers, or how the answers apply to our individual situation, on our own. That's my impression, anyway.

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I don't think Chocolate was referring to Jack but to that "person" at FTA. IMNSHO he (FTA) is rude, a bully, and has too much testosterone for his own good. But, that's just me.

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Yes it was FTA guy... I don't know what he sells that I would want to buy? Why would I listen to his opinion? I don't need him to tell me that 60 degrees is just fine and we'll do it with him instead of DR! Kruse... 60 degrees is just fine for what? why? how?

And yep, you nailed it. I like leadership AND collaboration. And a good leader doesn't care where a good idea comes from. I think this whole situation is very exciting because so many people are thinking and learning and sharing. My brain hurts good. Dr. Kruse has admitted to learning along the way as well. If we knew everything already, why we would we be here?

4. chocolate

chocolate Silver

And as far as Dr. K's book, I am waiting for my new fon to buy his cookbook. The other Factor X or whatever the heck its gonna be called, of course. I need something handy.

5. MonteD

MonteD New Member

Definitely. I've talked to many many surgeons and this is very typical behavior. They are very demanding and walk around with a "rock star" aura about them. The entire staff is usually quite intimidated...

6. Jillm

Jillm New Member

As I read this I am enjoying a cup of home made broth. It tastes very pleasant and is quite satisfying. I bought the bones for $1 and they made lots. I intend to have a cup a day. Nice change from coffee and tea. Hopefully it contains lots of nourishing vitamins and minerals. Good health to you all.

7. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Jillm, you mindless minion, you!

8. LinD

LinD New Member

Great idea! I am drinking less coffee lately for some reason.. Just not craving it as much... But the bone broth would be an excellent replacement. Thanks for the idea.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Sorry MamaGrok.

10. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

No worries, Jim; you were using it facetiously. I'm talking about those who are sincerely wringing their hands and really do think we're koolaid-drinkers over here.

11. janagram

janagram New Member

Mamagrok, your take on the whole thing is the same as mine (and so many others')...and I have followed many a self-styled guru in my day. I always had the same approach..."Hey, this guy is brilliant....weird, yeah, ... but I'm on board for the learning!" Never regretted any of it. But then I never drank the koolaid...

12. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Funny, I have found some good gurus, too. Flylady, Dave Ramsey, and Mark Sisson come to mind. Some middling ones, like the founder of RR, and one horrible one, although I wasn't following *him* or his personal advice at all.

Someone complained that Jack has his own image as his website logo. So does Dave Ramsey. Ever seen his books? What do you see at the top of every MDA page? Sisson. Flylady is on all her pages, nd is her own logo, lol, just a cartoon version because she was never comfortable with her actual image. Same thing is the reason KD isn't on the RR forums, too, I'm sure, since her dietary plan never got down the right ingredients for weight loss for most people.

Gurus usually aren't doing anything new, but have found a useful way to pull together and present info that others have not found. Sometimes one of those elements is much stronger than the other, and that weakens the guru's usefulness.

They're usually VERY confidant or arrogant (some exceptions), and the best ones give away most of their advice for free. All the ones I mentioned above do. They all also have some things to pay the bills. They all have plans that leave most people going, "Why the heck would you do THAT?!" yet they all have track records of legions of people whose lives have been dramatically improved by their work.

I think the main reason people are ticked off at Jack has almost nothing to do with his message or recommendations and almost everything to do with personality and style. It's the biggest difference I see. FlyLady is much more micromanaging and KD is much more controlling. KD censors her forums heavily, and many people have quit her program because of it, but there's no organized crusade against her, or people on the verge of forming an anti-cult support group.

There are a lot of valid criticisms about personality & style, but for me, none of them rise even remotely close to the level of "I don't want to hear his analysis of the science. He has nothing more to offer that could benefit me." I'm able to sort out the flaws from the facts, and even more, from the man. We're all flawed, VERY flawed, just some in more visible ways than others.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Who is KD?

14. hesse@bresnan.net

hesse@bresnan.net New Member

Kathleen DesMaisons, author of Potatoes Not Prozac and foundress of her "Radiant Recovery" group. Yes, MamaG?

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have no clue who that is......at all. Never even heard of her.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Yes, I'm just too lazy to type out her whole name and feel goofy calling PhD's Dr. I've talked about RR a lot on the monster thread because her principles for battling sugar addiction are (and bear in mind this program has been around at least a decade, and was rooted in treating alcoholics)

- 20-30g protein each morning (depending on body weight), within an hour of rising, EVERY DAY.

- Same amount of protein at each of the other meals

- No snacking

- Don't fear fat

- Food journaling, certain vitamins (reasonable ones), and ... a potato before bed

- At least one serving of whole grains per meal (AAAAND now we see why no one loses weight on RR, but many kick sugar, at least for a good long while)

Startling similarity, especially when you consider her rationale behind this is completely flawed, IMO. She says you have to load up on protein all day long so that when you eat the potato, it'll tie up all the AA's except tryptophan so that it can cross the blood-brain barrier to make serotonin. Because all sugar addicts are depressed and have been both sugar addicts and depressed since birth.

Whatever. I was never depressed a day in my life, and only became a sugar addict after using way too many antibiotics. BUT - the morning protein revolutionized my life (small wonder?), and the no-judgment detective-work food journaling helped me to tie food to physical and mental symptoms. Pretty cool. RR took me from bingeing weekly or so to maybe once every month or so. The 65g LR breakfast did the rest.

But her forums are censored like CRAZY. No talking by name about a sweet you bypassed today or you're talking drug talk (or whatever the lingo is), and no, we don't tell you these made up rules in advance; we just jump on you. She was very accessible, though, and certainly a step in the right direction for me.

For my first year or two at MDA, I totally lamented that no one was focusing on help for sugar addiction in the primal community. It was "Go primal and all will fall in line, or you just have a will power problem!" Nonsense.

Enter the LR, and the steps had enough substantive similarity with what had already worked for me, it was definitely worth a look. Jack has combined primal with the useful RR steps (without knowing about them, and from the correct scientific basis) to create what we cravers actually need for success.

17. skline@peak.org

skline@peak.org New Member

I have the book, but it's been awhile since I read it. It points out the tranquillizing effects of eating potatoes, and compares them favorably to pharmaceuticals. No doubt there is more to it than that -- if I read through it again I'll get back here.

I think that the reason Doc has been catching so much flack is that (1) too many of his ideas actually WORK, in comparison to all these other "experts", and (2) his personal idiosyncrasies appear to offer a vulnerability for these frustrated people to exploit.

Think of it like this: their ideas are their stock in trade, and the source of their reputations --- but many don't work very well. Of course they don't want to admit that. Someone waltzes in with ten ideas for their one or two, and people try them and some (of course never all, but more than is usually the case) get results. Green envy, and denial, and the threat of loss of professional prestige. You might as well put itching powder up their drawers.