1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ever decreasing circles...

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Lahelada, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I named this journal ever decreasing circles as this is what it feels like to delve into the vast knowledge and experience shared here. When I started reading I thought that this forum must be my chemistry professors revenge as I had old him quite clearly that chmistry was something I was doing for school not for life. Yup,adolescents know everything. But things are starting to make sense so that is the ever decreasing part-

I was brought here by a fluke. I realised while sailing that being exposed to cold makes me feel good and started to make use of it by walking around outside in summer clothes. Just recently I have started to include cold showers,two so far to be exact and of very short duration 5-7 ninutes . Of course I had not prepared properly as I started before reading here, so no drinking of icewater or bitter melon. I don't think we have the extract here, but I will scour the chinese stores for the vegetable.

Well, my last shower was yesterday and at night I decided to drink red wine, two glasses. Big mistake. I am still in ketosis but feel as if I have been run over by a truck. There is a chance that it is a flu like thing that is going round, but I do suspect the wine as I also could not sleep very well. Am I more cold adapted than I think.

The biggest hurdle I can see for me is getting enough Omega 3. I cannot do fish except for very mild fish. So I am planning to look for plant sources and supplement with capsules. Chia seeds and avocado spring to mind. I hope that will be good enough.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Welcome to the world of journals :). What brought us here may be different reasons, but I dont think it's coincidence that we all found our way here.

I am enjoying the education.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes .... welcome to journal land! We are definitely getting an amazing education from Dr. k. and everyone that participates.
    We all come from different parts of the globe .........with different personalities and different life experiences and perspectives ....... and I don't think it is a coincidence either!

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

What mild fish do you like? do you like shrimp?

5. Inger

Inger Silver

Lahelada, I see not so big hurdle here. Just eat plenty of all the mild fish you can think of :). I would not do capsules or Chia seeds. The seeds are mostly rancid anyways and that is really not good for us. At least not in bigger amounts. When you start eating plenty of the mild fish I bet soon enough you will be able to try other seafood too. Taste changes! :) just do step by step.

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning guys ! Thank you for the welcomes and tips.

fitness@home Definitely not a coincidence. I borrowed my Bertrand Russell quote from a blog post by Dr K as it actually convinced me to come on here. I am not keen on scientists, doctors people who think they have nothing more to learn. Thank you for the welcome.

Caroline, I always loved learning from other people, other cultures, so great that there are many of us here. I can do white fish, cod, haddock, calamar, also swordfish but abstain from the latter because of their worm infestation. Strange story about the swordfish actually. I learned about it in a splurge dinner at the Inn of the Seventh Ray in California. Of all the delicious food they offered I wanted the fish ! (???) I had always had this aversion to fish since I was a child,so the sudden need was incomprehensible to me. I can also do the little sprats. If I can find a way of battering them locarb they are great as they do not even need to touch the sides ;).

I have been following a ketogenic diet since March and am well into ketosis, but have not lost much (10lbs in 3 months), hence the search for answers. That search brought up more and interesting questions though. What I learned so far is that the pain between my shoulder blades may have nothing to do with muscle/bone wear and tear. Candida? Cortisol excess? Or something else. I have a recurring inflammation in my ankle,too. I need to find out though why after 3 months of ketogenic diet it is still flaring up though. What is the missing link?

Inger, I will abstain from the supplements for now. I did a reconnaissance mission and apart from the price I doubted the quality. I have chia at home so will use up what I have. I crush them so I always know if they are rancid. If they smell of fish they are off which also makes me run a mile. It is actually a serious aversion, not a "just not liking the taste " thing. I once tried to please my neighbour and eat her Xmas salt cod (bacalao) and the overpowering fishy taste made me throw up. No,not at her house. As I had only eaten a spoon I pretended to have forgotten something urgent at home, excused myself in sign language as the offending fish was still sitting in my esophagus and ran home to release the fish into its natural habitat once again ;). I think she stretched the expensive salt cod with tuna and that this brought on my reaction. So you see it is a long way for me to like fish. I will try though. BTW I saw your before and after pics . Amazing ! You look great.

New things in my life:
    -Supplementing with curcumin (clean all) and paprika(niacin)
    -finally sleeping in a dark room
    -magnesium/D3 supplement for the last 4 weeks
    -cold showers in addition to air cooling ( sailing walking the dog in summer clothes)
    -read up on natto as K2 supplement is not available here, but natto is.
    -doing the 50 g protein at breakfast routine to ascertain leptin resistance.I had toyed with big breakfast several times, but abandoned it for bulletproof coffee as the common idea was that insulin resistant people do not do well with eating in the morning.Reading here I threw that idea overboard.

Today I am battling with some sort of bug going around. Everyone has fever but I don't. What I do have is a slight cough and a dull pain from the waist down. Not feeling like doing anything much except write lengthy journal entries ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think that you have a great start with the fish that you can eat! Baby steps ..... do what you can for now and see where it takes you. Do you eat shrimp?
    There is a great recipe for seafood chowder/stew in the recipe section - if you can't find it let me know. You can just combine all the above mentioned seafood that you can eat - and chow down!
    Don't stress - this is a pretty steep learning curve! It is all about your n=1.......

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning people. First of all thank you for stopping in and encouraging me, Caroline. I am not stressing over fish etc but need to forma battle plan. I will do a no obligation flypast of the WM fish counter today and we shall see. Anything I won't eat the dog will be ecstatic about.

Yesterday was a strange day. I went to bed at 9.30pm with aches and pains in my lower body.I also felt a chill to my bones which is unusual for me. At night around 2am when I woke I was a furnace but no fever at either times.

For you that bedtime might even seem late, but here not even the kids go to bed this early. 9.30pm is dinner time. We eat earlier at around 8pm though. Eating at grandparent's hour it is called here.

Well, I woke at 2am with very uncomfortable pain, so I finally succumbed to the idea of taking an aspirine which allowed me to sleep until 8. Sunrise here, so I started the day with an "express" grounding followed by my BIA which I managed to get in within 35 minutes of waking. That part seemed so easy but is not actually . New routines I guess take a while. It is too large for me now. It might have to do with feeling down because of the strange chest bug.

I did a half CT cold shower during the day yesterday. I am not sure if that was the best idea but it did make me feel better temporarily.

Today the pain is gone. More cough and a bit of nasal congestion though. But it does not stop play which the pains yesterday did.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Could it be detox?

And - what about having a seafood dinner at a restaurant you trust? Ask for exactly what you want - develope a relationship with your favorite restaurant...... Hopefully a small family owned place.. They will love your candor and bend over backwards to serve you whatever you need and want! Food always taste better when someone else prepares it!!

10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning Caroline and everyone. Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing yesterday but could not come to a definite conclusion. It is probably a bit of both as I do have the sniffles and cough, which is the same as my partner has. He never did have the body aches though, so it might be that it is a combination of both. Something is happening though as since starting the BIA 3 days agoI have lost 2.5 lbs. Now that is my weightloss per month previously or near enough. I am putting it down to my liberal use of curcumin as well. I get two good doses a day. Eye measure,maybe a teaspoon in each maincourse. I am convinced that the detox has started. So 188 lbs today !

Appetite is nonexistent. I have to force myself to eat even after a small dinner like yesterday ( 200 g green veg,sauce and 2 ozs beef)

Sleep is strange. Yesterday I did not go to bed until one in the morning and was already up at 7. I must make arrangements today to make the living room less bright. I do feel refreshed though.

Fish: Caroline, I came to a similar conclusion yesterday about the fish and seafood. The seafood restaurants unless you go to the coast are not very good here. The general opinion is that if ....(insert deity of choice) had wanted us to eat fish why did he invent cows ? That is mostly only broken at Easter time when people eat fish for one day, just in case they were wrong the rest of the year . ;) I exaggerate to make a point. However,there are good fishmongers around ( yes,someone must be eating it I presume) and I know one that does not smell, so their produce must be good. I did a survey yesterday of what is available and the omega 3 content. If I can find it I will give the swordfish a go. Let the Curcumin handle the worms if there should be any. Another thing is hake,not so high in omega3s, but easily disguisable. The other thing is squid or calamar. Both swordfish and squid are at the high end of omega 3 according to nutritiondata, so if I only get an ounce down it is a win.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just had a search for some seafood recipes for you.......

In the community cookbook - a recipe for calamari pancakes - looks yummy

Epi-Paleo recipes .... there is a recipe for an - awesome fish stew ...posted by Shijin13 - it is Brazilian apparently. Just throw in whatever you like and the seasonings will mellow out the fish taste ...lol

Hope you are feeling better ....

12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning. A slightly better day today but then again it is early. Thank you so much for looking up these recipes for me. The Brazilian one looks almost doable. I struck out with the fish yesterday. Walmart fish had avery starnge odor in their fish isle and the fish looked dull. On Thurs we have a mobile fishmarket. I have passed them many times walking the dog and they never betrayed their wares with a smell and they have an interesting selection.

I felt rotten yesterday. It has all the symptoms of a heavy cold. Yet I cannot shake the feeling that it is also detox. It feels the same as when I changed over to locarb. But then again, at that time I said it feels like a cold.Whatever it is, it will pass. I took the precaution though to halve my curcumin dosis yesterday and for today.

13. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

I suspect than a little of WM fish is twice frozen if the package says "product of China". Alot of it gets frozen once onboard the harvest ship, hauled to China where it gets thawed out and processed, then frozen again for shipment to other countries.

14. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I suspect that you are right ,Glen and might account for the weird smell and the lack of shine of the fish in the supposed fresh section. Only the local fish looked fresh, but they are river fish and very oily so not a good start for me. Anyhoo, calamar/squid is easy to get so if by the weekend I have not found anything that is what it will be.

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_ship
    A factory ship, also known as a fish processing vessel, is a large ocean-going vessel with extensive on-board facilities for processing and freezing caught fish.

Contemporary factory ships are automated and enlarged versions of the earlier whalers and their use for fishing has grown dramatically. Some factory ships also function as mother ships.

================================
    http://www.futureworld.org/PublicZone/MindBullets/MindBulletsDetails.aspx?MindBulletID=324

CHINA OFFSHORES ITS FACTORIES
    Not off their shores - off yours!
    Dateline: 7 February 2010
    In an amazing New World manufacturing coup, China has delivered 170 factory ships just outside the territorial waters of the United States. These are not fish factories, but fully functional floating industrial enterprises, with their own power, workforce quarters, clinics, broadband communications and regular supplies of raw materials.
    Now you can order any Chinese commodity you need, and rest assured that it will be manufactured overnight, just 220 miles offshore, and delivered the very next morning.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    jwhb77 likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

are you going to give the calamari pancakes a go? Glad you are feeling at least a little better.....

17. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning everyone. Thanks for visiting my journal. Interesting about the factory ships. I did not know they exist. We have fishing vessels from China on the Patagonian coastline just outside sovereign waters, but have not heard of those kind. May they stay away for a very long time so that fish populations stay stable.I will do my part and put of my fish eating for Saturday. Why Saturday? Best fresh fish in town in the Chinese quarter. Bittermelon to be had also.
    Caroline, I looked at that recipe. I am afraid that this one is not my cup of tea. My plan for Sat fish is as follows. White fish of some kind panfried. Separately I will prepare cauliflower mash and a Thai chili sauce, the idea being that there will be two non fish flavours to mask the fish. That way my partner can have his fish plain and natural which is the way he likes to eat it. So ask me Sunday how the fish went.
    Turning around my hours will be a more difficult challenge than the fish I think.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do whatever works for you!

19. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good morning. Feeling better,feeling worse. In the mornings I feel good,in the afternoon I have a headache.It could be from lack of food, too, as I am doing the BAB, but by 5 I have a headache. Today as I got up early I shall eat at 4 and see what happens.
    Yesterday just before bed I cooled myself down with a large chunk of ice I ran all over myself. Enjoyable and I slept reasonably well from 11.30 to 6,which for me is not bad. We shall see how it goes. Weight slightly up to 85.9 from 85.5 kilos.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't know if I read your post correctly..... are you only doing two meals a day? Are you not having lunch? at least a little lunch?