1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Estrogen dominance, DIM, Detox and Methylation

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by PaulG, Jan 29, 2014.

1. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Recently had my serum oestradiol tested over four week period. 1st week it was 256 pmol/L, fourth week it was 90 pmol/L. Reference range for males is 26-156 pmol/L

So I am kind of shocked that I am in normal range whereas I have been estrogen dominant for at least last four years and wondering if it could be a lab error. Added bonus was that testoterone was in upper range whereas it has always been mid-range and am cortisol was normal whereas it was very high before.

Due to mthfr homozygous on C677T I have been supplementing with methyl folate + methyl b12 plus b6, magnesium, selenium, zinc, liver tablets, curcumin, kelp for last 12 months and happy to report that homocystein has dropped from 11 to 7.

I am also homozygous for p450 cyp1b1 detox snp that is involved in Estrogen detox and After reading this excellent article on estrogen metabolism

http://www.fusionhealthstudio.com/estrogen-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

I decided to take DIM (diindolylmethane) first thing in the am and was doing this two weeks leading up to the last test.

So, is DIM responsible for the normal result?

Should I take it every day? Are there risks?

Do men go through any cycles of low and high Estrogen and it was coincidence it was high the previous 5 times I have been tested (1 saliva, 3 bloods, 1 urine)?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Arborescence likes this.
  2. Tff

Tff New Member

PaulG,

Thanks for the post..that article has some good info.

I'm in somewhat similar situation...male with very high Estrogen levels.

I'm male, 40, <10% bodyfat, eat paleo, <100g carbs per day, and eat lots of supposedly anti estrogenic foods and supplements..green tea, curcumin, pomegranate juice sometimes, veg, fibre, filter my water etc.
    Ive been taking 30-50mg of zinc for years on and off. Serum zinc looks average.I also take methylfolate and methyl b12 as im homozygous for MTHFR A1298C. Plus a bunch of other supps.
    I have been eating grass fed butter lately, which i feel good on but does contain estrogens.
    I do eat non organic non grass fed meat due to super high prices(i live in asia).
    I do occasionally have 4-5 alcoholic drinks but always wait 3-4 days after before having any hormone tests.

A year ago i had a hormone tests, after taking DIM and 1-2g of Calcium D glucarate and my followup estrogen results got worse!

Last month I had a hormone re-test and all my estrogens were SUPER HIGH!.
    Doc suggested milk thistle to assist the liver and digestive enzymes(I also get acne).

Saliva tests....
    Mine: Reference range:
    Testosterone 481 100-720
    DHT 4.2 2-10
    E1 18 0-6
    E2 40 9.6-20
    E3 47 0-25

Blood tests..
    Oddly here the E2 isnt too bad...and my total testosterone is super high..
    Mine: Reference range..
    Testosterone 34.27 nmol/L (5-32..ie v high!?)
    Free T 42.7 pmol/L 22-104
    E2 61 pmol/L (20-161 )
    DHEAso4 6.9 umol/L 3.8-13
    IGF1 137 ng/ml 109-284
    cortisol 325 nmol/L 101-535

I'd like to avoid Arimidex if possible, but on the other hand i sure prepared to give it a trial.

Thanks all!!!

3. PaulG

PaulG New Member

I think there are a lot of factors that influence point in time hormone testing such as sleep quality, hormonal cycles (seasonal, circadian (~24 h), ultradian (<24h) and infradian (>24h))

see http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/2732/do-men-have-significant-hormonal-cycles

Infradian rhythmic variations of salivary estradiol and progesterone in healthy men

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tff you need a pic up