1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Essential Fatty Acids tests

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by LisaLearning, Mar 22, 2015.

1. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

My doc is in Brussels (Hertoghe) and ordered this test for me, which looks different to the ones most have posted, and I think the ranges are slightly different. I am wondering what I can learn from the results.

My DHA levels are within the limits prescribed on the test, but does this mean they are optimal? I know I don't want too much of some of these.

I am low in both dihomo gamma linolenic acid and oleic acid, which both have anti-inflammatory actions. Dr Hertoghe said to take some borage oil, which I now understand to help the DGLA level, but is there something one does to raise oleic acid?

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I posted my Fatty Acids Analysis here (bottom of page #1 of the thread):

PG/E2 ratio??

I re-typed it into spreadsheet that helps me see how far each of the Fatty acids is from mid range.

It is a way that dr Patricia Kane is looking at those analysis.

I posted examples from her analysis in post #27 there.
    -------------------
    Many people are low in GLA.
    I am low in GLA and DGLA.

There are three supplements that I came across that are recommended for low GLA.

Borage Oil
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Black Currant oil

From my readings:
    Most commonly mentioned is Evening Primrose Oil (EPO).
    Borage oil's GLA content is very high (good), but it is often mentioned that it contains other undesirable content.

Only once I came across information that Black Currant oil in addition to GLA also have some DGLA content.
    That is why I dropped EPO and use Black Currant now.
    Label on my Black Currant oil lists LA and GLA, it does not lists DGLA in its content.
    ///

Scan your test page and post it here.

////

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply - I had seen your thread. I am going to have another look at it now, and will scan in my results when I return home later.

Ought we to be aiming for midrange on all these results? Is that the consensus? My DHA result is very, very slightly below midrange. I was expecting it was going to be very low, given all my EMF and blue light exposure (which I have since radically altered, but tests were taken before the alterations).

A few of the results were in range but high. I will have another look.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There is lots of talk about DHA but I have newer seen any hard numbers.
    Please shear if you come across something in that regard.
    The only hard numbers I came across is from dr Patricia Kane.
    She is using specialized laboratory that she calls best available and she uses expanded range of fatty acids. You can see what she looks at in the sample report that she have on her web site. (below)
    The units that the laboratory uses are different from those I am getting now from LabCorp/Mayo Clinic. They are also different from units Genova Diagnostics is using. I did my testing there in the past.
    Let me know if you can figure how dr Kane creates spreadsheet function to get results for "Indexes" (box on the bottom of the bottom page)

Going by analogy with steroid hormones, some hormones people like to have high within range. Dr Kruse specifically singled out progesterone and likes it very high.

I have no better way to look at fatty acids so I follow the mid range way.
    I am also assuming that very high DHA could possibly please dr Kruse.
    That is not so sure because that would likely raise a question of where it came from.
    If from natural food then more likely ok, if from supplementation that would raise a flag. Right now the good flag is sn-2 position, but there may be other.
    I do not know if the DHA that is tested in blood is always sn-2 or not.

Dr Kane is more direct, and dislikes highly the unbalance created by fish/krill oil supplementation. She points to the fact that excess of omega3 suppresses omega6, specially the AA.
    Her husband Ed Kane wrote article where hi is highly against proliferation of indiscriminate use of fish/krill oils supplementation.
    The special culprit usually is high excess of EPA that suppresses AA ( likely via suppressing GLA and DGLA first).
    I am not sure what to really think about EPA.
    I know that it is bad when it comes from supplements
    but
    the best salmon and other seafood have also EPA in excess. I have not seen dr Kruse addressing that topic.
    To make decision more difficult, there is also lots of research available specifically glorifying use of EPA, likely paid for by fish/krill oil industry, but not all.

There is also concept being discussed by dr Kruse, that caught my eye recently.
    We need excess DHA today, because we must renew what we are loosing excessively due to current environment.
    Environment created by invention of electricity, so only 150 y old.

Add to that that dr Kruse is de-emphasizing influence of food and underlining importance of environment.

So if one goes back to time before electricity, need for new DHA was much less.
    Wild eggs, beef and pork contain/contained much more DHA than bought today in supermarket.
    It follows that need for seafood only 150 years ago was not that great either.
    This line of thought may continue, many healthy people may have done fine without seafood.

=================================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    NeilBB likes this.
  5. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Remember exactly what the tests measure. DHA concentration in blood is not the same thing as DHA concentration in the brain or in the various other cell membranes throughout the body...

Shijin13 and Josh like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^this

7. Josh

Josh Gold

As I recall, you mentioned that MRI's will show DHA concentration in the brain if read correctly.

BG5

JanSz, NeilBB and Shijin13 like this.
  8. Josh

Josh Gold

Would the degree of swelling be a proxy for the amount of DHA in the brain cells?

http://caloriesproper.com/fish-dark-chocolate-and-red-wine/

Shijin13 likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Please clarify.
    Are you saying that measuring DHA in the blood is useless?

10. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

No info is useless. But it is limited, like you said above, the blood assays don't even tell you if you are in the SN-2 position. So, it's just a fragment of information. A small piece of a much larger puzzle. Most people are not likely to biopsy a piece of brain to assay its DHA content, so you may have to rely on an indirect measure of that...Like how well the brain is working maybe? A clinician has to look at the whole picture--you can't get overly focused on just a single test...

Danny, Josh, JanSz and 1 other person like this.
  11. Just based on the vast importance of what Jack is teaching us and my patients who have done this test with it invariably telling them their DHA is too high, is it helpful? PK protocol for membrane restoration is all about phosphatidyl choline as a soy based supplement which by the way we are told by Steven Fowkes is a rancid oxidized supplement. So where do you prefer to get you cholines? Seafood right? :)

Josh likes this.