1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Epi-Paleo for Cats

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Patty Cakes, Feb 23, 2013.

1. I have a cat that came from a hoarder's house so she appears to have "issues". She doesn't mind other cats around her but has no use for them. She feels the same about dogs. However she pretty much dislikes all people and has all her 6 years except for DH and me. She runs and hides if the doorbell rings of hears the garage door open. She lives secluded in the bedroom 99.9% of the time.

I just recently switched my cat's food to a freeze dried fish based food. Since cats are carnivores she needs her daily dose of protein. I've read where cats cannot digest carbohydrates (ie kibble) very where if at all. It's only been two weeks but she has come out into the main part of the house about 30% of the time now and will sit with me peacefully or wonder around on her own. Her high alert mode is still there but in a much calmer way. We even felt a little earthquake last night and she just continue to lie next to me as the house shook! I expect more changes as time goes on.

Has anyone else had animal changes when switching up the diet?

2. diane

diane Gold

Absolutely. When I first switched my dogs from raw (and I was feeding them a good quality kibble) even the dog walker asked me what I did - they were just calmer. I've also had people switch their dogs from crappy kibble to good kibble and have noticed a change in hyperness.

Cats are usually much pickier eaters than dogs, so good to see changes in cats too!

3. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

May I ask the name of the food? I have 2 cats who eat grain-free high protein kibble that seems to work pretty well for them and I keep looking for better alternatives. Our dog is eating a dehydrated raw food that works for her and me (easy to rehydrate and not smelly like canned food). Thanks.

4. freesia

freesia Old Member

My dog has fresh protein, plus kibble...but her kibble is freeze dried fish and herbs...very low carb....I think maybe 20% max? (No grains).

The dog trainer we used for puppy classes mentioned many dogs do dramatically better behaviourally just from switching to what she called "more biologically appropriate" kibble, but I imagine they'd do even better on a fresh raw diet.

5. My cat has been on grain-free, high protein, and as high of fat kibble as I could get since I got her at 6 months old. My last cat became diabetic at 10 yrs old so I thought I should start this one out grain-free. At about 3 yrs old I thought she still had allergies to something but couldn't figure out what. Then someone told me their dog was allergic to chicken. Yep, so was my cat. But she still had these socialization issues. So that brings me to this post on her food.

My favorite of the brands is the KiwiPeak. Seems to be the best ingredients. I have used this as a topping on top of her kibble for a couple of years so I know she really likes this one. The second one I use is the Primal Freeze-Dried Formula. This one has a few veggies and fruits but it is 53% protein and 30% fat and this is the one she chows down on the fastest. I did quite a bit of research and nothing seems really perfect unless I were to make up food for her every day. Since she is improving I'll keep doing this as I believe it is really helping her.

And the quantity of how much she eats has gone way down. There is so much in these nuggets that they don't need as much. It's more expensive but I think in the end the overall cost may actually be less.

We feed the dog high protein and high fat, 100% natural kibble. Both animals get RO remineralized water. Geeze, they will probably outlive us both!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  6. freesia

freesia Old Member

Patty we made that observation too in our pup compared to the neighbours, she eats way less bulk.
    Cheap nasty petfood is a false economy....hmm...same as for humans with all the health costs later on.

It's great your cat's improving! :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. diane

diane Gold

I notice a huge difference in water intake on raw. When I go to kibble (which I occasionally do a week or so of high quality kibble here and there) they drink a ton of water. When I go back to raw, they hardly drink any. There's also a huge difference in the poop with raw, even vs. a high quality kibble. It's like picking up rabbit pellets from my 85 lb dogs LOL.

8. Hope

Hope Gold

9. endless

endless New Member

My three cats and one dog are all on raw food. I used to feed a high quality kibble (grain free) but with cats especially it's asking for trouble eventually. I nursed one cat through kidney failure, and have another now that has kidney disease...the one I inherited 2 years ago after he'd been on kibble for 8 years!

All my animals smell better, have smaller, less stinky poops, and nicer coats since the transition. It's more expensive but I can't justify feeding them something that I know will reduce their quality of life in the long run. Kibble around here is reserved (for the cats) for when I am away and someone else is feeding them. It is a HUGE treat, they love it, but interestingly enough, they are eager for their raw lamb and chicken when I get home!

If frozen raw is too much of a hassle, the dried raw stuff is pretty good too, I've used that very successfully in the past.