1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Epi-Paleo Diet Question

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by BTA, Sep 11, 2014.

1. BTA

BTA New Member

So I read that Jack stated the epi-paleo diet can cause dehyration. I ran into someone today out shopping who said their spouse was following the Epi-Paleo diet to a tee but dropped over dead from a heart attack. The pathologist said it's very common to lose a ton of K+ on the diet. I understand the doc follows the blogs & might be a member but not sure. If this is the case - yikes :confused:

I know I've had to up my intake of K+ to 4 to 7 grams a day. The RDA is 3 grams but exercise for 20 mins & you lose 3 grams which means you need over 6 grams to offset it.

any thoughts or ideas ????

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Seafood provides DHA and a ton of K. Its not the diet. Jack does not recall saying the Epi-paleo diet cause dehydration. Any seafood diet shows longevity so the pathologist you spoke with does not seem in tune with the literature on seafood diets. Chronic potassium deficiency in the United States is rare because potassium is found in so many different types of food, including fruits, vegetables, legumes, meats and seafood. Many types of seafood are good to excellent sources of potassium, especially shellfish. For example, a 3.5-ounce portion of steamed scallops contains about 480 milligrams of potassium. Shrimp, lobster, crab and mussels all contain between about 260 and 280 milligrams of potassium per 3.5-ounce serving. Another good source of potassium is steamed or baked clams.Deep-sea fish are also good sources of potassium. A 3.5-ounce portion of baked flounder contains about 585 milligrams of potassium, and the same portion of halibut contains about 470 milligrams. Other good sources include Pacific rockfish, Pacific cod, sardines, haddock, tuna and farmed salmon and rainbow trout. In addition to potassium, most fish are rich sources of DHA, which are considered healthy types due to their anti-inflammatory properties that reduce heart disease.

Dean6789 and Martin like this.
  3. Jude

Jude Gold

Some thoughts...................
    Lots of background unknown in these cases....................epi paleo in itself is easy .........but ...what about EMF avoidance, non flouride water and attention to the 3 legged stool?

Have a friend almost epi p ....but ...still insists on running before daybreak...
    ....that is a big risk circadian mismatch, even for a young apparently healthy male who percieves this kind of exercise in am is ok. For one trying resolve health issues, these unintended mismatches can set us up for failure.

Details really do count, we're only as good as our weakest link:eek: and that can be difficult to analyse. Be interesing to know all the facts of this sad case.
    JK reckons there's hardly anyone alive on this planet who's not dehydrated, because of our environment....off for some more H2O:)

Dean6789, Kristi Lambert and caroline like this.
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

well said Jude!

5. BTA

BTA New Member

it's not easy to get 6 to 7 grams of K+ a day. That's 8 servings of fish for dinner - not easy. Plus, once you heat food you destroy the nutrients.

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

BTA, are you confusing the Paleo diet with the EpiPaleo diet? I have met one other person on the EpiPaleo diet, and I had to drive hundreds of miles to see her. Hi @fitness@home!

fitness@home, nicld, Jude and 2 others like this.
  7. Jude

Jude Gold

So...where are you going with this?
    If this pathologist is correct...it seems to me we all should be having or have had a heart attack since becoming epi paleo or maintaining ketosis:eek:. Most long stayers here have been on the programme for minimum of 3 and 4yrs nd over and I haven't heard of any cardiac problems.

Perhaps it isn't just a K problem?.....more a quantum problem which basically means a lack of electrons as JK has laid out........:)

Martin likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

I know - I have never been healthier ......all my labs are great - and a better marker - I have off the charts energy and joy and my hormones are in the strotosphere I think!

Hope and Martin like this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

hi BTA ...what is your background?

10. Anna

Anna New Member

'I ran into someone today out shopping who said their spouse was following the Epi-Paleo diet to a tee but dropped over dead from a heart attack. '

@BTA - I'm tending to be in agreeance with @Jude on this one. Circadian mis match, non native EMF's.............. I had a similar discussion with @Jack Kruse last week about the author of Mastering Leptin, Byron Richards whom also dropped dead whilst running - you might want to check out that discussion.

caroline likes this.
  11. BTA

BTA New Member

Bio-chemistry major

12. Inger

Inger Silver

I wonder how so many know about epi paleo? The pathologist too? Even Paleo people are rare to meet live but Epi paleo way rarer.....

Really is missing a ton of information on this case to make any guesses.... age... lifestyle outside of food... what was he really eating and how was he living?

I have no doubt at all that my diet is the best choice..... even if the whole world thinks otherwise...lol
    We need to go back to Nature and then we know.

caroline likes this.
  13. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I all honesty, you are the only other one I've met in person too...

caroline likes this.
  14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

If you just remove all the mentions of 'epi-paleo' and substitute 'paleo', that first post makes sense.