1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Epi-paleo diet everything goes :)

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Souldanzer, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Grrrr...I'm still not on 29.5 day cycles yet...sigh.

I got my cycle in July on day...'gazillion and one' (well like 3 months. So I was EXCITED for that and ya only a 'slight' discomfort the night before...but it felt more like a little diarhea.....then next day BAM period. I was jumping through the roof. It was followed by like ZERO pain and I didn't need ANY kind of pill for cramps either. :-D

Here I should have had it arrive again on Aug. 19th, but it didn't. I think(?) I had spotting on Aug. 11. I've been feeling pretty good otherwise...as in AMAZING...so I don't know why it's taking it's time....too much estrogen still? (Even though I'm not suffereing typical signs of too much estrogen).

I know my ratio is off...I just know it is....But I don't think it's that the progesterone is too 'low' per se...but rather that it's only a little on the low side, but estrogen might still be too dominating. (Despite no more swollen breasts and excess in hips/butt).

I just keep telling myself my hormones are still 'sorting themselves out'. I'm going to buy some more colostrum today, since I really noticed benefits from taking that (and ran out about 2 weeks ago). I will also be diligent with maca this time...like actually stick to taking it for at least a month. I never seemed to follow through with that one...don't know why.

I will stick to my light cycles and seafood and that in itself is beneficial no matter what!

Pffft....my hormonal panel will be better in my 30's than in my 20's, go figure. :-D When I reach menopause I have the mindset that I will not suffer because I am building up my 'immunity' from now. Sorting out hormones now, make sure my adrenals are happy and ready for their 'extra' work during that time. Make sure my brain is working....etc.

Congrats though to everyone who is getting cycles based on the moon! See you on the other side...SOON! :D (Getting there).

2. Zorica Vuletic

O, and to add, I lost a day in my long ass 7 day bleeding. It went to 6 days and it was super light (with normal flow on day 2). It was the happiest period of my life probably! ...and what was nice was that I didn't 'expect' it so it just arrived so it was like a Christmas gift. LOL

Hooray Soul for less bleeding!

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My hormone panel IS SO MUCH BETTER in my 30's than my 20's...... because I HAD NONE in my 20's!!! LOL

I dug out a hormone panel from when I was 27 and I was post-menopausal. That was *after* I had finally started menstruating!!! Can't imagine how non-existent my hormones were when I was fully AN and at my low weight. OMG. I've even surpassed my DHEA from that time, naturally without supplements.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm down to less than 2 days of real bleeding, after that I spot very little for a few. I used to have menorraghia or whatever it's called and anemic and everything else that goes with it. This is so much better. This is much more how it's meant to be I am sure.

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I've gone from 5 days of quite heavy bleeding down to about 3 plus a day or so of spotting, which has been a nice change for sure!

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Since we've lost all guys by now for sure ;) has anyone noticed a change in mucus secretion during their period? It appears I bleed tons less but have more mucus. Or maybe it just appears so b/c there's less blood?

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

3 days this month... combo of BHRT getting close to optimal??? I'd lean more toward epipaleo, though I did change the application site at the start of this last cycle - so I'm definitely absorbing more than I was before... though intuition tell me I need more Pg, especially over the last 5days of my cycle....

8. Zorica Vuletic

That's a good point...I think mine might have been more mucus to blood ratio, but it felt good. Also I noticed the blood being more of a blood colour rather than being some dark brown non-healthy looking substance...who knows though. I'm just optimistic. :D

Wow though, you were menstrating at 27 yet with trashed hormones resembling post-menopausal...how do these things even happen?

I also wonder about ovulating even without actual menstral bleeding. As stated I missed this month (but pretty sure I had random spotting on the 11th instead of bleeding on the 19th as expected), but yet I'm pretty sure (but didn't really record) I had the secretary mucus indicative of ovulation. So it's possible to ovulate w/o the menses part sometimes? I'm hoping September is a bit more predictable. hehe. ;) So we'll see in about 2 weeks...lol.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yes its possible *waves hand* 2 fT pregnancies w/o menses prior to ovulation & conception....

10. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Well this gives me hope :) My hormones still seem pretty much nonexistent. I'm only in my mid-30's and it's so depressing. Thank God I had my kids before I crashed and burned. Still hoping things will come around though and I'll actually remember what it was like to have a sex drive . . . DH is anxiously waiting for that day.

I haven't had a cycle since February and before that it was October 2011!

11. Zorica Vuletic

I guess I shouldn't complain about 3 months apart then...hmmm. However ya, I'm 27 and have NOT had kids yet, (and want some) at least in my 30's. My sex drive is good though...with feeling horny enough times usually at night before bed and in the morning. I went for a period of time of not feeling horny at all...it sucked. That was during the 3 months of no cycle. So since July 21st this has improved even though no actual menstration in August. That's why I have so much hope, b/c I know my body is sorting itself out.

Things that help for me personally (so far) after much experimentation over the last 8 months...:

-EPI-PALEO (seafood, fats 'right fats with right foods', fermented veg etc.)

-circadian rhythm: bed time no later than 10pm (and I read in low yellow light before that...)* wake up with sunrise and gaze at the sun. eat breakfast within half an hour to an hour (although with the sun gazing I feel this is not AS important than it would be in winter, since in winter/dark I'd be relying more on the protein fat as the circadian cue, whereas right now I am using the sun for that

-colostrum (I want to try goat colostrum next, but the bovine stuff seemed really good too)

-maca (I never am consistent with it...so this time I am going to be diligent for a whole month. I bought some yesterday and took today...I do think it's beneficial for me).

-fermented drinks when possible

-BP coffee (although currently I've been putting only CO in it...I need to switch to ghee or something, but not sure if that was what was causing me grief in June....b/c something went wonky in June...)

-MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!! I am no longer in a stressful situation after a year. Yay! That probably helps A LOT!

*Note about circadian cycles: At the moment I'm visiting with my parents for the last 2 weeks. The thing I can't do that is appropriate is stop eating ~4 hours before bedtime. I need to eat dinner with them (and they eat WAY too late) out of respect before I move away and don't see them for a while. So it's out of respect... I am definitely looking forward to eating dinner at an earlier time again once in Ottawa. (Yay, Ottawa!).

12. Zorica Vuletic

O, I don't mean to say that the 3 month abscence was the only time of irregular cycle...My cycles have always been very long and irregular. Last winter really sucked because it was clearly a problem with estrogen dominance with the swelling boobs, excess hips/ass and thighs, acne, cramping bloating for weeks before any period, PMS (again for weeks before any period), depressed, like 0 dopamine or something, weight gain only at cycle but didn't lose afterwards (it's a REALLY gross kind of fat that feels like a tumor), etc.

Ok, I notice that with the type of subcutaneous fat that I have right now it's REALLY nice kind...like it's a. evenly distributed b. I still have muscular definition c. It's 'soft, but not flabby' as in like a smoothness to the skin...or supple. not sure.

I mean I didn't think I would get excited about having 'fat'...but I feel like there is something 'different' about this fat...and that it's not 'pathological'. I didn't know you could have 'fat' but still be 'defined'. Weird. I think there is even improvement in my legs which traditionally are ....you know...

It's weird how inflammation/gut problems affect different people, like some people it will attack them primarily metabolically whereas other people it will affect them more in the brain. Of course, it's both...but I mean in terms of presentation of symptoms.

Ok, I'm rambling now. hehe.

*I was about to post long life bio...deleted it b/c don't want to waste people's time* lol

13. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I stopped having my period when I was 45...eight years ago...thought is was the best thing ever, except now I realize it was also a sign of hormone problems my whole life....waiting to get going with BHRT now. I had both our girls in my thirties 33 and 39, so I was crashing and burning during that time...not fun. Last night I asked JK's opinion on needing to have periods with BHRT and he didn't think it was nec...I'm relieved about that. I don't miss them one little bit...Now, I'm even remember what having a sex drive feels like just by the ep-paleo and ct and light...bring on the BHRT a.s.a.p and more seafood!

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Squid as ceviche.... fail. Don't go there :p

15. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Rubber bands?

16. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

You're definitely giving me hope here :) Sometimes I feel like my body is starting to sort itself out, but it inevitably crashes again. When I first started supplementing with DHEA I was actually getting a sex drive!! It was the first time in 8 years - I can remember exactly because the last time I truly had a drive was when I was pregnant with my son - holy wow!! Can't wait to get that back again ;) Funny thing was it wasn't a strong libido that led to me getting pregnant even. I just wanted another baby. Sex was just the vehicle to make it happen. I always knew my hormones were off, but my docs never took me seriously. Every single idiot I saw just wanted to throw me on the pill. Thankfully I never took it for long. It always made me extremely nauseous after the first few days, so I stopped taking it and learned to not voice my concerns.

I've been thinking about trying colostrum, but I thought Dr. K only suggests human and I can't go there for multiple reasons. I do have access to local, organic, grass-fed bovine colostrum. Maybe I'll pick some up when I visit my local farm next week.

What exactly do you take the maca for? I bought some spur of the moment a few months ago and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since. I don't think I'm E dominant. My hormones are pretty much nonexistent - will it help that?

I'm also hitting the epi-paleo diet and circadian cycles HARD, so hopefully I'll start to see some benefits from my efforts there.

17. Zorica Vuletic

I tried it..but it was sliced already for me...so I liked it. But some don't like the rubbery feel...hmmm...I love squid!

Speaking of squid. I met a 72 yr old lady...VERY good skin with slight wrinkles on her forehead (like DUH of course you'll have some...) but her skin had a suppleness to it. She said she was a bit tired and I asked her how her sleep was she said it was ''good'...so anyways it led into conversation about how old she is etc. She thought it was 'good genes' for her health. Continued the convo as I nod my head in agreement. Then I was like...hmm...is one of your secrets seafood? She said YES!!! She said she grew up in Portugal and lived by the sea....she ate/eats all seafoods of all types. I told her that I started eating seafood too etc. Anyways I said...but you know I eat stuff most people gag at...for example SQUID. She looked in delight and exclaimed "I LOVE squid!!!" She then proceeded to tell of a recipe she uses to cook squid.

Sometimes the world is good! :-D

18. Zorica Vuletic

Hey, well I know Dr. K said only human colostrum...but I felt good effects even from bovine. I prefer powder form, not capsules. Also goat colostrum apparently has even closer structure to human colostrum than bovine. I haven't tried that, since I'm in search of that atm.

Maca is not for E dominance...in fact many ppl use it for menopause relief. lol What it does is it acts on the hypothalamaus, pituitary and adrenals. So it helps the body (supposed to ) to make it's own hormones more efficiently. I mean I know I have my ovaries doing their job etc. and I'm only 27, but I think the HPA axis could use a little help. Sometimes ovaries can only do so much of the work, you know?

Glad you're doing epi-paleo and abiding by circadian cycles...honestly that's one of the greatest things I got to learn in my life b/c of this blog. In regards to seaweed, remember that the iodine rich sources are supposed to balance out P:E2 ratios (even if you're not E dominant per se....the ratio could be a little skewed...who knows w/o testing).

Pffft I've come a long way with this...and I feel the majority was all in the last month! Like from March to July...working...I don't know. Maybe that was just the adjustment phase. Who knows. But now I feel like I'm on my way to Optimal for SURE this time! I'm pretty sure (?) I ovulated this month...so that is good. We'll see if I get period in ~ 2 weeks. lol I hope my move doesn't disturb anything. lol (It's a positive move though...so it should be OK).

Ooooooo and no more bleeding from the rectum...WOO HOO! (lol sorry for TMI).

19. Zorica Vuletic

Idea for food.

Fish roe...in cucumber cut like a cup. The BEST thing I've had...IN MY LIFE!!

Some people were saying they had trouble with fish roe....but I don't understand how or why....so put it in a cucumber and see what you think NOW!

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Rawfoodworld.com has it.