1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Epi-paleo diet everything goes :)

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Souldanzer, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Report successes, failures, questions, and answers (dead-end or not ;)) here! Everything goes :)

I've been pretty hardcore at it :) Inger's Cocktails, raw seafood as ceviche, pickled or salted, fish roe by the tub full, shrimp with head, antenna, shell and all, piles o'seaweed,.... I'd say I'm seeing some progress. Mood is fun-tastic today, no AN thoughts or other ED behaviors, energy is returning.

I ran out of fish roe today. How important is it to my success? Do I need to get out into my car for another 2 hour roundtrip on Denver's crazy highways STAT? Or can I let it go for a little while.....

2. I just started implementing it, but it's been easy so far, since I love seafood! now I only need to learn how to cook it (or not-cook-it)

3. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I haven't seen it talked about much, but I bought a case of sardines and a case of smoked oysters. You know, the ones in the little cans. I figure these will be my back-up seafood when I can't eat fresh fish. I can't imagine you NEED fresh fish eggs every single day for epi-paleo to be effective.

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I buy sardines too and sometimes it is hard to find them in good oils. So to rid them of the bad oils, I rinsed them off and added my own mac nut oil and mustard cuz that is how I like them.

5. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Question, what is everyone doing to keep their omega 6/3 ratio from getting out of whack i.e. too much omega 3 vs omega 6? I seem to be having a problem with this. Been feeling tired and run down plus been getting what I call omega 3 headaches. I know its not my hormones, nothing hormone wise has changed since I started with the 1/2 lb of fish a day. Have upped my consumption of Brazil nuts from 1 a day to 5 a day which seems to help some. How are others coping with this or you not seeing this type of problem?

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Shilohman, I had cravings for nuts after a few weeks of seafood every day. I went ahead and indulged, and that craving has gone away. Don't know if it's related to the omega 6/3 ratio, because I haven't tested yet. But that will come soon...

7. I love fish and this has been fun! For me I'm not worried about the 06:03 ratio as mine was 3:1 so I could use a few more 6s. But I really like the idea vkiernan about rinsing and subbing mac oil. I have rinsed before but didn't add anything (except peanut butter back in the day).

Wondering what to do with the leftover masago from the sushi I made last night. I love the taste of it and thought of putting it on top of eggs for my bf (no eggs for me).

I also have made some shrimp broth from the heads and exoskeletons. Can I just grind up the heads too in this broth mixture or should I save it as a pure broth? I remember Dr. K saying he blends it all up but I wasn't sure about the heads. Considering there are eyes on these shrimps I thought it would be a good idea. Thoughts?

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks AKMan. I guess I'm wondering if me feeling terrific the past couple days might have to do with the fish eggs also..... I was going through a lot of the roe every day and craving it. I still do. Don't really want to feel worse again so I think I might just suck up the drive.... eventually I'll have to go. I will get a good supply this time so I don't have to go back so soon again.

And my new FREEZER arrives tomorrow... that means time and space to stock up if I feel like it :)

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think Dr K said that you can't really eat too much seafood.... maybe add sat fat to your meals b/c that inhibits absorption? Might just be brain absorption, though. I have also been craving nuts like crazy since starting a mostly seafood diet (for me this is my 4th month now on mostly seafood). Interested in Dr K's opinion on this. I'm trying to replace the nuts with bacon though b/c that allows me to comply with AI protocol.

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Some people have reported that the broth wasn't too tasty after grinding in the exoskeletons. I say eat the heads..... as I am chewing on some whole shrimp for dinner..... it's a little chewy ;) One of them cut open my cheek yesterday with its sharp skeleton.

11. Oh boy I don't know if I can just chomp down on the head. I may try that first and see what it tastes and feels like. Oh boy tonight I must decide as they have been simmering for over two days now....

12. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Put it all in! I feel so bad about all the good food I've thrown away over the years. I thought the only way to eat fish was rolled in flour, fried in vegetable oil, and eaten alongside hushpuppies. I have been making an awesome fish broth this summer with salmon livers, hearts, heads, and bones. The skin makes it taste too fishy, but the bones and organs taste wonderful.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

WAPF says to refrain from using oily fish for fish broth b/c of the long cooking time that would potentially damage the DHA. Heads have lots of DHA. Just FYI.

14. Fry up that salmon skin! That is a wonderful compliment to a salmon dinner. I just use a spatula to remove the salmon from the skin while still in the pan. While we are eating the salmon the skin continues to cook in a bit of ghee. I flip it a couple of times to keep it from getting too crisp but basically it comes out like a salmon chip! It tops of the meal wonderfully.

I was thinking of making something by grinding it all up that I could just slug down every day for a quick lunch or dinner. I could add herbs and some other good fish to it if I wanted more of a meal. Just trying to get those DHAs in me!

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Green beans? Are they legumes? Or permitted on epi-paleo? I planted them in my garden this year out of habit. They are ready now...

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Inger's Cocktail for the protein shake on the go Epi-Paleo Style :D

I do the same with my salmon skins. After epi -paleo had been released I felt bad about it for a moment.... frying DHA.... but I need to have something tasty every once in a while so I stick with it. getting lots of fish skin in the raw seafood I eat.

17. I keep my heat low and let those salmon skins just crisp out!

I have two little fishies in the freezer for Inger's Cocktail! Maybe tomorrow for breakfast!

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I was starting to think Kiwi and I had been left to ourselves with the fish head eating. Glad to see you join :)

19. If I don't gag I'm in. I found an Asian store, Japanese I think, that has organic veggies and fresh fish. It's a 45 min drive but I can do that once a week, cut up the fishies and freeze them. Now that is all depending on the gag factor. I've been known to eat some pretty weird stuff and will try anything once but as long as I don't throw it up I should be good for the long haul.

If it helps my Hashis I'm at the very least going to try it!

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Just so you know I had some pretty bad gut stuff happening from starting to eat raw seafood..... my gut just didn't know how to process it. I think it has mostly adjusted now or at least it's getting better every day. I've also cut back a bit on my raw seafood consumption (one meal raw, one cooked).