1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Enterolabs compare educate thread!

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by MamaGrok, Oct 8, 2012.

1. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

I asked dr.k about milk (specifically regarding daughter's enterolab )at my consult on Sunday and he said he wouldn't give her goats milk. I am just not going to buy any even for sometimes.... Sometimes has a way of working out poorly around here. I am sure if she eats epi-paleo she'll get plenty of nutrition but we are all still working on that.... I thought salmon or shrimp might be interesting because they are pink..... But I had no luck with that angle.

2. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

While on the phone with enterolab this afternoon I asked them specifically if the ovalbumin test was specific to chicken and the answer was yes - it is not indicative of anything other than chicken. She said some folks who test positive can tolerate duck,quail,etc eggs and some can't. So no new info but thought I would post their answer.

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Yep, that's the problem. It is only for chicken and you have to figure it out for yourself. Thanks so much for asking.

4. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

And the protein it tests for is in both yolk & white?

I'm about to send my enterolabs order off. I've got panels A+C, the transglutaminase antibody test, and am wondering if I should get the gluten sensitivity gene test.  Any thoughts about its usefulness?  One thought of mine is that if I test positive, it might get my mother & sister thinking about testing, because they have a lot of ailments that would likely benefit strongly from going gluten-free.  But I don't know if this particular gene test actually would be useful. I'm not totally sure exactly what this gene test indicates.  I'd appreciate any guidance on that!

5. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Some thoughts are you already tested positive for the IgA on your GI Effects test so seeing if you have the gene might be a mute point.  Sure, it can tell you if you can get Celiac or not but you are already gluten sensitive, yes?  But, otoh, if you have the gene then your children are more susceptible and at least you would know it.  STTM said something about IgA and transglutaminase testing positive means you have celiac.  But, not sure if/what actually means that.  You could ask Jack what his thoughts are on the gene testing.  I already know I have the gene and I guess for me it confirms that if I don't have celiac at this point that I will probably get it if I didn't change my ways.  So, I guess I do like knowing the fact that I have the gene for it.  I didn't do the transgl. and now wish I had.  Might confirm it for me.

6. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I got the gene test for my daughters and they each have some form of the gene.  Means that they are or can become gluten intolerant.  One was already showing signs of it so that is why we tested.  She would get a runny nose about an hour after eating gluten.  Anything can turn the gene on.  So if you are already not eating any gluten ----it would just be wanting to know.  I am wondering if these genes are in the 23 and me.  I have not seen them yet.  I know the 23 and me checks for celiac.  Since testing the girls and they have 2 copies we know my husband and I each have to have one. 

7. Lanie

Lanie Silver

<<<Okay, Got my almost 4yo daughter's enterolab back this morning.
    Most of it makes complete sense. I'm a bit surprised by the eggs and rice though, and I thought almonds were an issue.
    Luckily no meats were on her reaction list.
    This was an expensive test but I wish I had this information for her 2 years ago.... I can't get that crucial development time back. But, now I know better and can do better moving forward with her....
    DDENTEROLABRESULTS.txt>>>

RiverNeighbor - Thank you so much for writing this.  I've been lurking for a long time, and seeing this post of yours inspired me to get this test done for my 2-year old daughter (almost 3).  I was balking at the price, but your post put me over the edge.  Got her results today.  She's having an immune reaction to pretty much everything - especially gluten.  Now we have the information we needed to really justify a huge lifestyle change.  We were half-assing the no-dairy before, and allowing wheat on special occasions.  No more of that.  I'll be cooking for her a lot more now.  Thank you - you never know who you're going to help, and I really appreciate you sharing your story.

8. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Lanie,   I'm glad it was helpful.  For us,  giving up the milk wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  We said "bye" to it one day and no one has said a peep about it since.  I never really gave them juice so they just started drinking more water.   The harder thing for us has been variety in meat and getting in veggies.  At least she likes SeaSnax.  In fact,  my daughter is doing better than my son (I didn't have him tested but at least for now I've eliminated the same foods for both).  I'm very pleased to say that we have been 100% compliant with our elimination of the foods she responded to!  But,  I was hoping that by now we would be able to try egg yolks but unfortunately she still is having some gut problems.  I've been giving her probiotics for a long time,  but I think we've got something else going on gut-wise that isn't getting taken care of.  I'm thinking that the Metametrix GI test (and maybe some other tests) will be our next step.    We've got an appointment with a Naturopath next week who I interviewed and think will be helpful - so fingers crossed.  

I think we've got some vaccines coming up at 4 years.  I've decided that we're not doing any vaccines until we get all her gut and immune issues under control - and even then we will take a good hard look at what we really think is necessary.  

Oh,  and I haven't had a chance to copy and post my results up here....    but I reacted to all 11 foods on the list.  I've gotten almost all of them eliminated,  but it makes me wonder if there is any protein I could put in my body right now that my body wouldn't mount a defense toward.   So...  I also have my own heavy lifting to do...

I wish you and your family all the best in this adventure [​IMG]

9. jib

jib New Member

I realize this it the thread for Enterolabs, however I was wondering if anyone has had a similar blood test done with US Bioteck. (IgE & IgG)  My test doesn't have numbers, but there were some things tested that I reacted to on a 1-5 scale.  Is Enterolabs like the Gold standard for this test?

10. This sounds like the test I had earlier this year.  I think this is more of an allergy test which I thought was different from the EnteroLabs test.  I'm getting the EnteroLabs test in the early part of next year so it will be interesting to compare.

11. jib

jib New Member

Thank you Patty Cakes, this prompted me to do a little digging. 

"IgE. A high level can mean a parasite infection is present."  I tested over 3+ with yeast, almonds and chicken egg whites and yolks.  Now I think I understand that just eliminating these probably isn't going to be the only thing that I'll need to do.

12. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Hey there,

Thanks so much for the great thread and sharing your results!! I had a question, why can't you eat a ton of veggies? Earlier when listing things you couldn't eat you wrote "veggies are carbs" and that implied to me that you are not eating them because they are carbohydrates. Maybe I missed something?

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Yep, just cuz they are carbs and I was running thru the list of no no's in general. Nothing to do with the lab result itself. Just so many things off the "list." I will say though, since I have had a heavy metals test and then a consult with Jack, there is a possibility that my problem might be due to the amount of metals I have and not a "true" autoimmune issue. Now, I will not know until I clear the metals and retest but I wanted to let others know that there might be hope. This is why testing is so critical and to apply the results to your own n=1 and not anyone else's. We are all different even though some things "appear" to be the same.[​IMG]

14. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Sounds great V.

I don't think you should avoid vegetables in any case. You can have a very rich diet of vegetables and leafy greens!! Then add in those shellfish and other items people mentioned to round it out. I think avoiding fresh veggies because they are carbs is wild. I can see the value of keeping a diet low-glycemic, etc... or seasonally glycemic... but no veggies seems massively restrictive and I don't know the logic supporting it. We're not Inuits after all [​IMG] I'm not saying you can't do it, just saying that you should question whether you need to, especially in light of all the new restrictions you are about to make.

I was reading some stuff by Charles Poliquin in which he was testing his body builders regularly for food allergies and they were pretty much all allergic to the things they ate the most and if they stopped eating them they antibodies went away. His response was to have his builders cycle their foods, i.e. eat eggs for a couple months and then drop them for a couple months (hey! it's almost seasonal!). Which is kind of a hack, maybe the common thread amongst the foods was a history or current leaky gut. Maybe the reason you're not showing antibodies to cashews is because you haven't had many of them lately?

Point is, I'm not that worried about your labs (admittedly I'm a total newb) because I don't think you have a real allergy to some of those foods and you'll be back eating them when your other issues are resolved. I mean, imagine you have poor digestion and a leaky gut, you have the opportunity to develop an immune response to any food at that point because the food is getting into your intestines undigested.

BEST OF LUCK.

jesse

15. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks Jesse. You are spot on on all accounts. I did add more veggies in and then Jack reminded me that there is a time and place for them and winter is not it. Although, I do still eat low carb veggies but was trying to really slow down on them. I did have leaky gut for sure and I know I am healing it or things wouldn't be getting better. And yes, I did have a problem with those foods as they were the ones I was eating all the time. Enterolabs told me not to eat things I was ok with very much or I would end up having the same reaction. My take away is to rotate. Sometimes not so easy but I am sure trying. I am going to get my metals cleared somehow and then see where things are at. I will know if I start clearing the metals and feel better and then add foods in and I start tanking again.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I forgot to update this when I did get my results.

Enterolabs (range, then my results)
    Fecal Fat :love:00 299
    Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase IgA <10 14

Most Antigenic Foods Sensitivity Stool Panel (500 max possible)
    Anti-gliadin IgA <10 66
    Anti-casein IgA <10 19
    Anti-ovalbumin IgA <10 36
    Anti-soy IgA <10 16

Comprehensive Food Sensitivity Stool Panel - Measuring immunologic reactivity
    Mean Value 11 Antigenic Foods <10 14
    Tuna Most
    Rice Most
    Beef Most
    Oat Most
    Chicken Intermediate
    Pork Intermediate
    Corn Intermediate
    Cashew Intermediate
    White potato No significant
    Almond No significant
    Walnut No significant

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
    HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 O202 (DQ2.2)
    HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 O602 (DQ6.2)
    Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

At the time of the test, I had been off gluten for one year, 100% off dairy 95% of the previous year, but had had some recently, same with eggs, same with soy. No oats in two years or more. Everything but tuna, beef, & pork are rare or absent in my diet.

Fat malabsorption was way over positive a year ago, so that is a big improvement.
    I understand that ovalbumin is only in the egg white, so I'm not sure this means I have to avoid egg yolk.
    I'm not at all sure what these results mean I should do, because, for instance, it didn't test salmon or cod. If I eliminate tuna, it will increase the amount of salmon, cod, herrings, etc., and perhaps I'm sensitive to any or all of those more than tuna. It seems it could do more harm than good. Same goes for beef & pork.

I'm also not sure why they don't give absolute values for the 11 most common. After all, they give values for wheat, even though the relative amount is still most important. Let's say I'm a 66 for wheat & 3 on beef. Let's say everything else of the 11 most common is under 3, and sure, beef is "most" reactive, but it doesn't really matter.

Analysis welcomed.