1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

EMF Readings in Bedroom - Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by Trinity, May 18, 2013.

1. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Hi guys,

In response to a seemingly endless struggle with chronic insomnia and high nighttime cortisol, I recently decided to look into the EMF issue. I purchased a Trifield 100xe meter. So far I've only tested my bedroom. These are my findings so far.

Testing @ ~8PM last night resulted in a baseline reading of around 1.5 milligaus. This reading was pretty consistent throughout my bedroom ( in my bed, around my bed, ect ). Of course, if I got up close to an electrical item such as my alarm clock or lamp the readings were higher, but fell off quickly with distance. I have moved those items away from my bed and they did not seem to influence the readings on or around my bed much. Even when I unplugged everything in my room I could not get the meter to fall below 1.3-1.5 milligaus.

Testing @ ~8AM this morning (Saturday morning) resulted in noticeably lower readings of .75-1 milligaus, even with a couple of things plugged in (namely, lamp and alarm clock). I am wondering if this has something to do with changes in power utilization and / or dirty electricity (more appliances, lights, ect plugged in in the evening compared to early Saturday morning when people are sleeping in).

Testing the PC monitors on the desk in my bedroom this morning resulted in readings of 6-8 milligaus within a few inches, but fell off to the baseline of around 1 milligaus at eye level of my normal working distance.

Testing the PC sitting on the floor by my desk also resulted in high readings of up to 10 milligaus. I found out that at my working distance (about 12-18 inches away from the PC) my legs are getting bombarded by around 4 milligaus although if I take a reading at chest and head level, it's close to the baseline of 1 milligaus.

Should I be concerned about a baseline reading of 1.5 milligaus? From the reading I've done, that does not appear to be *extremely* high, but it may be approaching a level of concern, especially for my bedroom. The computer, however, definitely was an eye opener. I am guessing its not great expose my legs to a 4 milligaus field even if the field drops off to near baseline above waist level. I now need to test my workplace because I sit for 8 hours per day surrounded by 3 computers with 2 usually on all the time (yikes!).

Thanks,
    Trinity

2. Martin

Martin Gold

A reading 1.5 is over what Neuert rec's for bedroom exposure of .5 or below. You may have house wiring running under or beside your bedroom floors/walls and it's coming from there. Work to lower it for sleeping, as I'm sure you already know. Can you turn off breakers and test? VERY revealing!

Your computer stations are getting on up there. Not much to do unless you move yourself away with remote keyboards and shielding with the mu-metal foil and that gets complicated. Maybe some binoculars to see your screen wouldn't be to over the top! 10 mG is really up there.

I'm looking at anything over .5 mG anywhere as a potential problem. the longer we expose ourselves to the fields, the more we wear down.

Neuert says the Trifield's tend to read a little high because of the influence from other fields present, but I wouldn't take that as a reason not to be concerned. We know the fields are there if there's a circuit there with a computer, lamp, etc., connected to it.

Good for you for testing and finding out what's going on instead of ignoring it.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Now you know why you cant sleep......time to get an electrician out.

4. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I've done a bit more investigating now and am afraid the problem may be worse than faulty wiring. I unplugged everything in my bedroom to no effect. Next, I turned off the breaker to my bedroom and was surprised to find that it too made virtually no difference in the magnetic field reading. The field was uniformly 1.5 milligaus throughout the whole room. Furthermore, I observed that the magnetic field level seemed to fluctuate based upon time of day. Average appears to be about 1.5 milligaus although I have observed it as low as 1 milligaus early in the AM and as high as 2 milligaus mid afternoon and early evening. In surveying the rest of my house I found that the only place the magnetic field was consistently below 1 milligaus was the very back of my house, next to the garage. I also observed a pattern suggesting a falloff in field strength from front to back of the house.

With those measurements in hand, I began to suspect the field might be originating from outside my house... So I walked outside in front of the house and started testing near my bedroom window. When I got 15 feet away from my bedroom window I was getting readings of ~4 milligaus (and that was in the early AM when the fields average about half of what they seem to be later in the day). Incidentally, my house faces a street and there are street lights running up and down the street about 20-30 feet from my front door. I can only surmise that there are some high voltage lines running underground to power those lights and that they are throwing off a magnetic field that penetrates my house. That would explain the falloff from front to back. Obviously not good. I furthermore doubt the the power company is going to do anything about it as the readings are kind of in a "grey zone" of concern at 1.5-2 milligaus (although potentially high enough to affect my sleep I presume).

The good news is the fact that we are renting the house right now so the long term plan is clearly to move. Unfortunately, that move is not going to happen overnight so I need a short term strategy to mitigate the current situation as best as possible. Unfortunately, moving to another bedroom or location in the house is not really an option as 1) the bedrooms are all on the front side of the house where the elevated field is and 2) the only area of the house where the field falls off to a reasonable (however, potentially still not optimal) level is right next to the garage at the very back of the house. What do you think my best options are? ...some kind of shielding of the bedroom wall facing the street? ...a magnetico mattress pad?

Thanks,
    Trinity

5. Dextery

Dextery New Member

How about turn off the master breaker to the entire house and see if it truly is the street emfs or your house? And then test. Perhaps turn off the master in the evening and sleep al night with no electricity. Do think about smoke detectors if they are not battery powered if you do this.

For a short term solution, perhaps you could make an EMF tent over your bed much like a mosquito net. The material could be aluminum screening. You could probably get it done for less than $40 at Home Depot. You would have to sew pieces of the screen together.

Check and see if you have a smart meter on the house. Get a 1 gal paint can, clean it up or buy a new one at Home Depot. Purchase two 7 inch hose clamps. Cut the bottom out of the paint can and fit it over the meter and secure with a hose clamp. It will buckle a little as it is a little big for the meter...but no problem. Then for the other end of the paint can that faces away from the house, cut a piece of the screening material that will fit and secure it with the other hose clamp. Also attach some of the screening to the wall surface behind the meter as the smart meter radiates omnidirectionally.

There are various variations of this blocking of the meter radiation on youtube. This one costs much less than the commercial ones.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. Martin

Martin Gold

Try calling electrical contractors and ask if they have gauss meters and can come test your place. And maybe the local power company has tech's who have good meters and can come evaluate. I'm looking into our local power company and what they can offer. Be nice, and they may just be happy to get out in the field and check it out!

Where is your breaker panel in the house? Do you see any conduit coming up out of the ground into a power meter box? It's very possible that it's the main feed to the house is underground and if the breaker box is on the back or side of the house, the feed wires could be running underneath the house causing the large fields you're seeing. I'm assuming you don't see overhead power wires going to you house? Are there any big power wires running on poles at the street?

Try going to the breaker panel and turning off the main breaker and take your measurements then. If you still have them, you prolly have the underground/overhead wires creating the fields. Nuttin' you can do about that.

The fluctuation is due to usage in the neighborhood rising and falling with activity. The more people are home using juice, the higher the fields.

Shielding is VERY difficult for magnetic fields, not practical for where you are. You can shield some of the electrical fields, but with the magnetic fields all over the house, I'd look at moving.

7. Martin

Martin Gold

I'm looking at screening as well for shielding electrical fields and RF frequencies, but it won't do anything for the magnetic fields. Bummer.

Great idea with the can, Dextery!