1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Emerging from Darkness

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, May 4, 2018.

1. PJP71

PJP71 Silver

Totally relate to the texture thing. And yeah, what is MHS?

Jenelle likes this.
  2. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

I believe it refers to mackerel head smoothie.:)

PJP71 and Jenelle like this.
  3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

It STILL has not stopped raining here. This has got to be a record of some kind.

I guess this is as close to sunshine as I'm getting today. :rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phosphene, caroline and drezy like this.
  4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you! That sounds... amazing. :)

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

mackerel head smoothy = MHS

I use small whole frozen fish from a Chinese grocery, thaw slightly and chop in pieces and put in a blender with cold water, fresh lemon juice and fresh herbs ......and then blend the bejesus out of it!

for the grilled oysters .....just use a couple of drops of melted butter and a small grating of parmesan.

Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  6. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I don't pay much attention to it ~ but I'm still receiving newsletters from Dr. Perlmutter.

Today I see the title: "Sun Exposure and Your Health" ~ so I click on it.

Things are actually looking good, I think (!) when I read:

"Our ancestors spent a lot of time exposed to UV light, and we are just beginning to unravel more of the story as to why this was, and is, healthful."

But things take a turn for the worse in the last sentence:

"So I would consider avoiding sun exposure from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M., and then limit it to around 15 minutes in total each day."

:thumbsdown:

FAIL. Unsubscribe.

Unbelievable. What a crock of shit.

https://www.drperlmutter.com/sun-ex...9b9d39fb741e0e329ada04b54923ac0b79c6679b859e1

7. drezy

drezy Gold

Just about every newsletter from anyone is structured as follows:
    1. Wow! I didn't know that
    2. OK what do I buy

8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

9. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Hey Jenelle, how's it going? You must be in the throes of your hands-on nursing stuff, and trying to refrain from punching every other instructor in the schnoz. I feel for you.

My slim maternal grandfather ate tons of saturated fat and lived to 101. Of course he also ate plenty of sweets, so quite the conundrum. I’m sure his last 10 years would have been far more comfortable and less humiliating if he were a mitochondriac.

Jenelle likes this.
  10. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Hey, thanks for stopping in! :)

It's ... going. I'll probably just leave it at that for now. Lol.

I've said for several years now: protein & fat is where it's at. I'll gladly leave the sugar for others. It's done me no favors.

I'm excited to see the word getting out more and more. Then I wonder -- is it, really? Sitting in class yesterday we were told that a diabetic diet needs to be 45-65% carbohydrate and 15-20% protein.

Curse words.

caroline and Bonnie like this.
  11. Mike David

Mike David Same name new person

Same dumb stuff they tell my kids in “health class”. I make them tell me what the teachers said then I give them a really good question to ask the teacher. Who knows if they actually ask but I at least try to teach them more based on reality than fantasy.

caroline and Jenelle like this.
  12. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

@caroline recently asked for an update ~ and it's been on my mind to do so, anyway.

For anyone out there who might want to know ... I've officially finished nursing school!

JK is always with me. He doesn't know it ~ but he is. There have been times lately when I've wanted to put contacts back in my eyeballs. I haven't done it. All of my pictures from the pinning ceremony have glare on my glasses. "Do I have eyeballs under there? Are they open?" ...Not sure... but at least there aren't any contact lenses in there. :rofl:

In all of the "still very much busy"-ness of now preparing for the big exam to get my license ~ and also preparing for Christmas... I wanted to make sure and take a few minutes to thank everyone here who has supported me on this journey. Every positive comment has meant more to me than you know.

I especially want to thank @Sean Waters for telling me I'm going to be "a fucking epic nurse". I told him that remains to be seen... but I sure appreciate it. You never know when your words are going to be just exactly what someone needed to hear at that moment. We all have a choice, to reach out to others and share the good things we're thinking, or to keep it to ourselves. I often choose to compliment total strangers out in public ~ and it makes me feel good to see that it made them feel good. I love that through this forum, we can connect and support each other across miles... across oceans. Thank you, Sean. I wish you all the best in the exciting days ahead.

And a special shout out to @drezy ... who is Super Dad and Super Husband ~ yet somehow, still manages to find time to make us laugh, and encourage us to do just a little better than we are currently doing. At one point during this last semester, he was ready to take out a life insurance policy on me ~ because surely, I was about to die. I'm happy to be here today to say: "I'm still kickin'" ... and you are not rid of me just yet, dude. Sorry. ;)

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Nice and congrats. Stay well.

Jenelle likes this.
  14. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you, sir ~ and you, as well! :)

15. drezy

drezy Gold

I hope your boys got to see how hard you and your husband work to set them up.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Huge congrats from me too!!! and an extra huge Koala bear hug.

Enjoy a wonderful Christmas with your family and be so proud of yourself that you are about to burst! What a fabulous gift you have given yourself and your family......enjoy every last second!

Have you listened to Jack's Dec 2018 Q&A ...... he mentioned briefly that he would probably be using a nurse to facilitate some things ......just saying.

Maybe another time .....when you have time - you can tell us what you did to offset all the hospital nnEMF crap.

How do you stay well in that environment?

Thanks for being here ....you are such a bonus!

17. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

No, I haven't listened to that one yet ~ but I hear good things! Maybe that will be a Christmas present to myself. ;)

I will respond more to your post later ~ I just had to tell you that I shared your comment with my husband this morning, and he was immediately looking at railroad jobs in the New Orleans area, and telling me all about them. LOL. It has been discussed... many times.

Phosphene likes this.
  18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

@caroline ~ I'm sorry it took me so long to really respond to this. Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate you.

My clinical days at the hospital in nursing school were pretty spread out. This last semester, for example -- I was only there for 8 days out of the entire four months.

The other days, we had some simulations and lab days at school ... we had a day where we did health teaching/presentations for an awesome local program, where they are helping people with various challenges learn new skills so they can get out in the workforce ... we had a day at the EMS station, where we got to learn all about who they are and what they do.

The truth is, there is nnEMF crap pretty much everywhere we go. In all of these experiences. And in my neighborhood. In the entire town.

I believe I saw them putting up (what must be?) a new 5G tower the other day, as I was driving past a different neighborhood, not far from mine. I didn't stop to take a pic to post here -- although I thought about it -- because I was too busy processing what I just saw, and streaming a few curse words about it to one of my teenagers.

So ~ back to your original question. What did I do to stay well? Well, I wore long sleeves under my scrub top, always. I drank a lot of water. And I ran like hell when it was time to go home. ;)

caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

very nice update Jenelle .....A wonderful and Happy New Year to you and your family and tons of new quantum entanglements moving forward!

Jenelle likes this.
  20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you, @caroline ~ I hope you are doing well in the new year!

The weather is beginning to warm up here ... for a couple of days, anyway, we'll have temps in the 50's. And SUNSHINE today!

Last week my kids were out of school for 3 days, due to highs below zero. Yuck... yuck does not even begin to describe it. I'll leave it at that, for now.

After a ridiculous amount of time spent on the computer preparing for my NCLEX exam, I passed it on January 14 and had my license number on the state website the next day. So it's official: RN. This was a huge relief of pressure, on one hand ~ and the beginning of a whole new pressure, on the other.

It's been an interesting few weeks, perusing job listings... deciding which direction I really want to go for now.

I applied and interviewed at the biggest, fanciest long-term care facility in town. My interview was 3.5 hours ~ we really clicked ~ it was great! The nurse manager told everyone we met on my tour that I'd be "a great fit".

However.

They are only ever hiring for night shift -- 6:00 PM - 6:30 AM. I offered to fill in daytime gaps: vacations, illnesses -- last-minute holes or busy times in the schedule, even. Nope... they say they have no daytime need. Their nurses tend to stay, and there is a list of people waiting for days. So. I moved on.

Oh, the temptation was there. I won't lie. But I know the reality of that lifestyle too well, after seeing what it has done to my husband ~ not to mention everything I've learned here. "It's only 3 days a week", the lying little bastard in my head wanted to tell me. Ha! You don't recover from that on the other days of the week. It's a mess.

So now I have a job lined up at the nursing home where we did clinicals. They had no problem offering me a PRN (as needed) daytime position, and a great rate of pay. It was pretty cool how it all worked out... almost too good to be true... because I've thought all along that I might like to work there. It was my favorite clinical experience, by far. I have a heart for this population, and they need good nurses. It is also a relatively small facility, and NOT a hospital. It is a completely different work environment, really getting to know the residents and being in their home. It's not so damn fluorescent and bright everywhere you go. And sunshine is just a few steps away.

Is it perfect? No. Nothing I do is going to be perfect. But it is about the best I could possibly hope for, at this stage of the game.

As long as I don't have tuberculosis and I pass my physical, I'll be starting orientation soon. :) Hope you all are doing well!