1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Emerging from Darkness

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, May 4, 2018.

1. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

IMG_6786.JPG.jpeg

Oysters in the food processor for a few seconds ... strongly resemble concrete.

2. drezy

drezy Gold

Brave experiment!

3. PJP71

PJP71 Silver

Do you eat them like that?

4. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Girl, now that’s just plain wrong! But I do admire your hutzpah. Some lemon and hot sauce maybe? :eek:

5. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I did. :)

No lemon juice, no hot sauce ~ just salt.

They go down much easier this way for me.

The day I realized I was cutting up giant LIVE oysters & shooting them down my throat without chewing was the day I stopped eating oysters.

Yesterday I tried again with the canned ones Jansz posts pictures of here (Crown Prince). I was proud of myself to get several of them down... sort of chewing, but trying to avoid that hard thing in there. Whatever it is. Gagged at some point ~ couldn't eat any more.

So I realized today that I just need to purée them. I ate about half of that bowl ~ so 1/2 can. More than yesterday.

My dog will not touch them.

PJP71, caroline, drezy and 1 other person like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Funniest thing I read this week!

Your dog: "No thanks, I'd rather starve."

PJP71, caroline and Jenelle like this.
  7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I had to give my dog the canned mackerel, and I’m sure she is much better off for it. Now expects it like a little fish-eating princess.

Oysters I’m fine with, though I do slice the huge ones.

Kidney is the thing I absolutely cannot do. Tried soaking in milk even—still makes me queasy thinking of it.

Jenelle likes this.
  8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

This made me literally LOL ... because, yes. This is my carnivore dog. We raised him on raw, ground up whole animals (minus fur). He follows all of us around constantly, watching for even the slightest chance of any type of meat.

I gave him an oyster yesterday and he's like... WTF...

Phosphene, PJP71 and caroline like this.
  9. drezy

drezy Gold

Makes sense. I saw your dog logged into the Ray Peat forums...

Phosphene, caroline and Jenelle like this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

Ahh here's your dog's post with censoring:

"
    Dear Peat-miesters
    I'm a dog stuck with this human that's all Krused the f*ck out right now.
    Every other mother*cking dog in my whole whole f*cking neighborhood is getting Milk Bones.
    Am I getting Milk Bones? Nooooooooooo! I get some bivalve sh*t plopped into my bowl.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    "

Based on your dog's post you may want to have doggy review the Brain Gut series, Just FYI.

Christine_L, Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  11. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

You know we've got problems if even the dog is on the Internet...

I just had to look up Ray Peat. He's not against meat ~ right ~ but must be against oysters?

12. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

:rofl:

All Krused the f*ck out...

:rofl:

Phosphene likes this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

Well I'm not sure, that was the easiest one on the top of my head just for a laugh. I think there may be more carbs involved with his diet thus the milkbone bit...

My point is that if your dog could it would be ragging on you on some internet forum.

It's just my sense of humor on a Friday..

Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  14. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Sadly, he does get some grain-free dog food these days... although he QUITE clearly tells us in every way possible that he MUCH prefers to eat the meat.

Apparently, oysters don't register as "meat" to him in any way. ;)

drezy likes this.
  15. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

So... I'm getting the sense that Ray Peat goes against pretty much everything Dr. Kruse says about the importance of eating fish / seafood in abundance.

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/oils-in-context.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fats-degeneration3.shtml

From the second link:

"Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles. Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish) is very high in fat, too.

About ten years ago I met a young man with a degenerative brain disease, and was interested in the fact that he (working on a fishing boat) had been eating almost a pound of salmon per day for several years. There is now enough information regarding the neurotoxic effects of fish oil to justify avoidance of the fatty fish."

So my dog has found sympathy with the Peat-meisters. Great. :rolleyes:

16. Isn't Peat the guy who tells people there is no difference in consuming conventional granulated sugar and fruit and so he advocates eating a bunch of sugar to help you get back to health? I had a run in with a wacko trying to tell me that awhile back. I couldn't believe my eyes!

17. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Yes, it would appear so. From my brief google searches. ;)

countingstarsx likes this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

I never studied the Peat method. Just from faint memory of what I've read in the past I thought it'd be funny if your dog was a staunch Peat supporter.

If your copy of EPi-Paleo RX ever gets chewed up I'm not saying for sure it'll be this dog. I'm just saying that you might want to do a bite mark analysis after the crime...

Jenelle likes this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

back to the topic of oysters ....... sort of anyway.....

Inger's MHS is not bad at all. Janelle I think you could manage an MHS quite easily......

I don't like oysters either .....but I do them.

Honestly - try them on a BBQ with a little melted butter and grated parmesan cheese.....yummy!

Phosphene, PJP71 and Jenelle like this.
  20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

@caroline thanks ~ but it has been raining here for THREE straight days now -- non-stop -- so maybe I'm a little foggy. ;) What is MHS?

And I hadn't even thought of adding dairy because I'm *generally* not eating it -- but that DOES sound good. Really good. Thank you!

I think I'd still have to grind those dudes up. It's a texture issue for me ~ not taste so much. No doubt about it. This goes back as far as I can remember ... to eating with my parents as a kid. If I'd bite into an unexpected piece of fat or "gristle" as my mom called it -- made me gag & ruined the whole meal. Then I was in trouble for wasting food. :(

caroline and PJP71 like this.