1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Emerging from Darkness

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, May 4, 2018.

1. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Yes. And TUMERIC! Just found a facebook post about that. Wish I would have googled yesterday.

drezy likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

A ziplock and some ice = local CT

Brent Patrick and Jenelle like this.
  3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Lol thanks. It's more of an all-over run-over feeling today ... mainly in my neck & lower back. The cold tub idea is probably in order.

Yesterday I only took something because I cannot *stand* having a headache. And no, I wasn't thinking clearly. I was emotional. This happened out of nowhere in the middle of my happy time. And the woman is a bitch. And they shouldn't have a dog they have no control over. And because I wasn't bitten ~ no one even wanted to file a report.

Today I'm just trying to move on. :) Thanks for the suggestions!

4. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Ruined happy time + irresponsible pet owners = damn that sucks.

Was going to suggest turmeric. I keep a bottle of this around and take 3 or 4 of them whenever I would have reached for ibuprofen. Went through so much of that crap years ago.

This “Meriva” is a patented formulation that supposedly increases absorption. Many other brands sell a version of this.

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-synergy-turmeric-phytosome-curcumin-with-meriva

Jenelle likes this.
  5. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thanks @Phosphene ~ I had some of this at home, which I had gotten somewhere along the line, for my husband to try for his back issues. :thumbsup: I took two & I'm sure it helped. Maybe we just shouldn't have painkillers in the house at all.

I've seen Jack talk about black pepper & that's part of what attracted me to this one, I think.

Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine Joint Pain Relief - Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant Supplement with 10mg of Black Pepper for Better Absorption. Best 100% All Natural Non-Gmo Made in USA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0112M60KI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NrpyBbAEBA4A4

Phosphene likes this.
  6. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

A couple of thoughts about the facebook link posted elsewhere:

1) It has been on my mind lately that there are 9 years between my older sister and myself ... due to multiple miscarriages in between. My thoughts have been along the lines of "I am the strong one that finally made it" ... Now I am wondering if it's more like "I was the best of a bad bunch". o_O She was 31 when I was born ~ which was pretty old at the time. We think *nothing* of that age now.

2) My husband and I chose to get married & have kids younger than most were doing at the time. My kids were born when I was 22, 25, 27. That has "seemed" young to me when I look around at others our age, with little ones ... & here we are, thinking about how we are possibly going to pay for college. Soon. But, for a variety of reasons ~ we've both *always* been glad we did not wait to have kids. Now I have another reason to add to that list.

https://m.facebook.com/drjackkruse/...96131008&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&ref=notif

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

I think that's the safest assumption to start with. I start with that assumption regardless of my mom's young age (21) at my birth. Taking minor course corrections (hopefully) way early on potential diseases that show up in my mitochondrial line is the name of my game.

If you really follow the bouncing ball around here I think 99% of this is taken care of without heavy analysis. All minor issues I've had and related to future diseases found in my line have been taken care of better than ever since I've acted on what I learned from Doc.

Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Now... I've seen some pretty cool stuff around our neighborhood and our own property, since spending so much time outside this summer.

But this has to be the coolest ~ most unique thing I've seen so far.

The kids discovered it the other day while hanging out on the swing on our front patio. Had they been in the house glued to screens ... none of us EVER would have noticed this. The bottom of our house is limestone, top is siding ~ and this guy was hanging out underneath the ledge that goes all around our house in the middle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phosphene, countingstarsx and drezy like this.
  9. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Spent the day yesterday helping my sister clean her new house out in the country so they can move into it (the people left the kitchen quite a mess ~ yuck).

My brother-in-law is building new fences for their animals, and my 11- and 13-year-olds helped with that all day. MAN ~ that was good for them.

I didn't have my phone with me most of the time, but I took pictures in my mind. I do that a lot these days. I stop and enjoy the moment ~ take in the sun, the smells, the beauty of everything around me ~ and I capture that moment in my mind.

They have a nice few acres, with lots of trees ~ some of them fruit trees, and a little bit of roll and weedy wildness to the land back where their goats & chickens will be "free" to roam.

They have a new grandchild, and one on the way ... everyone will be living together in this big new house. I walked around & could picture the kids running around someday... the happy moments they will have there.

I grew up in the country, and I am thankful for it. My husband grew up in a tiny town in the middle of Kansas, which very much reminded me of Mayberry the first time I went there.

I had memories of riding my bike down dirt roads to meet up with other country kids, playing in the drainage ditch (lol) for the entire day. I'd set up "bases" in the yard and play baseball by myself. A lot of my childhood was by myself ... or was it? There was always nature. We always had cats & dogs.

My husband had memories of riding his bike all over town to friends' houses. And when the time came to choose this house, where we have now been for 15 years ~ he wanted our kids to grow up in a neighborhood where they could do the same.

But it's not the same. Nothing is the same.

My kids are certainly not growing up in Mayberry, and most of their friends probably wouldn't even understand the reference. We rarely see kids out on their bikes. It's not the norm. My youngest does go around on his bike "to see if anyone is out" and often comes back empty-handed. His best friends in younger years were another homeschooling family who had a bunch of kids and spent a lot of time outdoors ~ but they moved away years ago.

Real human interactions and connection with nature is so quickly becoming a thing of the past. This is not a new revelation. It's just had a spotlight shined on it in my mind for today.

drezy and Phosphene like this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

That's a very poignant realization when it and it's implications really starts to hit you like that.

I try to break through this sometimes. Try this experiment. Next time you go to the grocery store(where most people my age and younger apparently need headphones in to hear their soundtrack 24/7) find a few elderly people shopping and just ask them very basic questions like "Excuse me, I've never tried this product is it good?"

A simple interaction with humans that pre-date this faux busyness phase is always interesting and appreciated.

For the record my funniest interaction so far was with a very old gal. She was (rightfully) in one of those store scooter carts and staring way up at vidalia onions. I asked her if she wanted me to get one for her and she replied "No, but if you got it for me I'd keep it." (with a special lilt on the "you"). I still chuckle thinking about my meeting with the gal I still think about as empowered woman 1.0.

Sheddie, Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  11. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I have had wonderful interactions with the older ladies who walk around the same time as us every morning. I've learned most of their names. Connie came by right after the dog took me out ~ and it was her genuine caring and tone of concern that brought me to tears. She gave me a hug, and I just started crying like a baby. Lol.

We know & have good relationships with most of the neighbors immediately around us. But branching out into daily sunrise walks has allowed us to get to know others we never would have met otherwise.

My oldest used to be annoyed when the ladies stopped & talked to us. They commented about him walking in his socks, and I think it made him feel uncomfortable to have that attention drawn to him. I have, however, watched him blossom and come out of his shell more and more ~ as we have had more of these interactions with them, and it has become our norm. He is no longer annoyed by it. I think secretly he may even enjoy it. ;)

My husband and I talk and joke with strangers all the time. At the store... anywhere out in public, really. I'd say I'm by far one of the most outgoing in my class ~ I'm friendly to everyone. I can't tell you how many people have said "they couldn't tell" my kids had been homeschooled... because there is an assumption of being socially isolated & backwards. We've gotten genuine shock -- "I don't know what you've been doing, but keep doing it. They are great kids."

So my thoughts are more along the lines of: Their opportunities for those genuine relationships are fewer ~ because the world is different. It has to be a conscious effort now to get kids out in nature and talking to each other? Ridiculous.

My kids' grandparents are even very wrapped up in technology. We don't visit often ~ but my mom is eventually drawn to the computer or her phone every time, often in the middle of a conversation. My dad has been retired as long as I've had kids, and we rarely see him. He's addicted to Craigslist and who knows what else. Missed opportunities abound. I know my parents have great memories of growing up with their own grandparents... but everything is different now. People have spread out. It takes effort to see each other. And there is so much else to do -- we are so "busy"!

Sheddie, Phosphene and drezy like this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

That's funny. Buckle up mom.

I watch the deer on my property and have to laugh at the similarities. The little spotted fawn often can't clear some of the neighboring property fences when their mom jumps over them. My property becomes a fawn daycare center. Obviously some little fawn are male. They cower into bushes and hide during the day so quietly.

It's funny seeing that knowing that in 3 years, when the season comes, that same male will be stomping around so loudly (to impress) that I'll be able to hear them through 250' of soil, up my foundation, and into my bed frame in the mornings.

It's a lot like seeing the picture of a little shy boy and then seeing him out on the town with buddies at 20 years old.

I do however have a creeping suspicion that if we look over our shoulder while pointing and laughing at the young there will be older people behind us pointing and laughing...

Sheddie, Phosphene and Jenelle like this.
  13. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

IMG_6749.JPG.jpeg

What. Is it?

My son says he sees these around our house every year. Where have I been? :rolleyes:

14. drezy

drezy Gold

15. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you! Yes, I think you're right. They are on mulberry trees around here. That's a tiny mulberry tree growing on the edge of our burn pile. And there are several in the top of my neighbor's mulberry tree -- right where I look toward the sun every morning now. I guess I didn't see them until he pointed them out, because I am super blind without my glasses. :glasses: I'll share the link with him -- thanks again!

16. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Happy to report that my dad is down 24 pounds since his last doctor visit (not sure when that was) & he has had no more of these episodes, no more trips to the ER... which were starting to become a regular thing.

I've shared with him a variety of JK stuff, I've really tried to stress not eating after dark, stopping the screens and going to bed. He told me he always loses weight when they go on fishing trips, and I've told him to try to replicate that environment as much as possible when at home. They're out in the sun all day & go to bed when it's dark! There's something TO that, Dad... we've had good conversations and he's listening & looking at things from new angles. Thinking about things he'd never thought about before.

He's also cut carbs dramatically, doing whatever his version of keto may be ~ I don't know the details of his days, and I don't hound him about it. It's been a HUGE change for him and it is clearly paying off. The weight loss was very slow in the beginning & I told him to CALL ME before he got frustrated and fell off the wagon. I have all kinds of tips & tricks that do not involve a box of donuts! ...But he feels so much better, the difference is undeniable ~ and he's stuck with it. Super happy for him. :)

Inger, Phosphene, PJP71 and 3 others like this.
  17. PJP71

PJP71 Silver

That great! Wish I could have that affect on my parents. Bit by bit I am trying.

18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Made a trip to the dollar store yesterday, specifically looking for a notebook of this size that can fit into my purse and go everywhere with me.

Just because I can use "notes" on my phone for everything ~ doesn't mean I should.

I also feel that learning and retention are enhanced through the actual process of writing vs. typing.

Look what I found! :love: There were four of them there ~ just waiting for me on the shelf:

IMG_6770.JPG.jpeg

Phosphene, PJP71 and drezy like this.
  19. PJP71

PJP71 Silver

Yep. Typing,writing, reading aloud, visualizing etc. all create additional pathways to memory.

20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

A nurse from the eye center (where we have to visit and watch a surgery one day for clinicals) came to class today to talk to us about what to expect.

In her talk, she told us that everyone gets cataracts, and that we all have the beginnings of them now. She also told everyone that you only have to get them removed one time in your life.

The girl behind me asks, "If you only have to get them removed one time in your life, why not just go ahead and get it done when you are in your twenties?"

And the lady's response was that some people do. She said some babies are born with cataracts. And now everyone in class thinks this is something they're going to have to do someday...? And that's just the way it is.

And I'm sitting there thinking:

I can't even...

But...

Ugh.

drezy likes this.