1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Soy Free Cookie

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by RiverNeighbor, Nov 14, 2012.

1. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Well, I had been making egg muffins for the kids in the morning but with DD's enterolab results I had to set out in search of something that they would enjoy having with some meat. Veggies for breakfast aren't at the top of their list... yet. While we work on all that I thought I'd try to whip up something not too bad for them. After looking at several recipes on the internet I blended them and here's what I came up with:

9T Coconut Flour

6T Coconut Oil (you could use butter or ghee here just fine I think)

2T Honey or Maple Syrup

1/4 t Celtic Sea Salt

3T dried wild berries mixed with soaked nuts

1T chopped dark chocolate bits

Mix all together, drop onto cookie sheet (I used a silpat liner, not sure how they'd do straight on the pan), pat down a bit, and bake at 365 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on bottom. Let them cool all the way after you take them out of the oven or they'll crumble.

If you don't like salty sweet reduce the amount of sea salt...

Here's a close-up

[​IMG]

If anyone else has good ideas that are free from the items in the subject line I'd love if you shared! Thanks!

Edit: This makes 12 cookies... One baking sheet full

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sounds yummy, thanks River. With the holidays coming, I'm looking at baking again. It's not something I do anymore, but for a special occasion I can make an exception.

3. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

If it weren't for the little ones I wouldn't even think about something like this - probably even for the holidays. But, yank milk and eggs away from someone who doesn't really fully understand what's happening (because they're 3) and put something that looks like dinner in front of them for breakfast with a glass of water and it's a shock, and they're in a fasted state, and well... they're 3 so it seems like a BFD when you're used to having a glass of milk first thing in the morning. Every one of their favorite meals has been impacted so I am being a little flexible on breakfast so I can be hard on the other meals. Some 3 year olds love trying new things and experimenting with food but mine are adventurous in other ways... not so much with food.

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

These look like a great transition food - thanks for the idea. I could use something like this to pack for dd's snack for church (why the 3 year old class needs to have snack during their brief sunday school meeting is beyond me, but I digress...)

5. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

bigknitwit,

They need to have a snack because even at 3 they can't go a couple hours without their carb fix to stave off the hypoglycemia.....

I mean who hasn't seen a toddler these days go into full meltdown because they've got the shakes and need their juice!

Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic.... and cynical.... but I'm in a mood and I'm claiming perogative. I realized this afternoon that there is some sort of grieving/coping process when dealing with food issues and children.

6. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

And in the nursery (for the children under 3), where I volunteer every few weeks, we feed the babies goldfish and apple juice. We never feed them anything different because of allergy issues. Goldfish and Apple juice. I've had to pack my dd her own snack since she could start eating solid foods (and not scream in the nursery). The way we handle food with our children in sickening, IMO. It's even more sickening though, as a mother, when we realize just how our child is being damaged by these practises, and how they no longer have the option to participate, even once in a while. There is some definite grieving to be done here, I agree. Last week, 20 minutes after snack, one of the 14 month old little boys asked for his juice filled bottle...

Sorry I'm completely pulling away from your great recipe idea again.

7. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Not pulling away at all, bigknitwit

Cookies were a big HELP today, but not a big hit. I'd say between the two of them they ate 1 cookie. Having it as an option really made breakfast go more smoothly. Son asked me first thing this morning if he couldn't have milk could he have an extra big cup of water. He's having a harder time than daughter because he likes fewer meats and vegetables and he was more into the milk/yogurt/cheese and egg. They're adjusting and this is turning out not to be as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Daughter stood at the grocery store this afternoon and asked me why so many things have things in it that hurt people.... at first I thought she was saying it because she was sad she couldn't have the foods that looked appealing. Turns out she was concerned that other people were buying it and getting hurt. It was sweet.

8. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

You are apparently doing a great job with this! I couldn't imagine being in your shoes.

9. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

It is really interesting to watch the family adapt....

DD is feeling so good. She jumped up and down and yelled "I feel great" into the phone when my MIL asked her how she was feeling. Her behavior has improved dramatically (she had been having some strange behavior).

Tonight she ate both a sardine and some seaweed with her dinner.

DS went from doing well for several days into meltdown mode today and refused to eat anything after breakfast. Tomorrow's a new day. I'm sure he'll eat when he's hungry enough.