1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Effects of pregnenolone

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Destiny, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am going to see my OBGYN in the mid of August since I am supplementing my estrogen and progesterone. I am not great on it so I've decided to start taking 15 mg of pregnenolone in the morning. The idea is to start slow and see since I get heart palpitations a lot.

After two days, I know, it might be a placebo effect, but I feel calmer, almost no heart palpitations, less sluggish and more motivated to do the housework. In addition, my FBG went down to 94 from 104. I also slept better. Is it in my head or is this a result of supplementing with pregnenolone?

It this continues well for a week, I want to add 5mg of DHEA and then 25 mg of 7-Keto. Any experiences with this, or any suggestions?

2. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

15 mg is a pretty small dose, but you're describing some of the benefits I've noticed from pregnenolone and DHEA though I take much higher doses. I just have a general feeling of well being that I haven't had in a very long time. My sleep has improved, energy increased and I just feel more motivated and excited about life. I'm currently taking 200 mg pregnenolone and 150 mg DHEA split in 2 doses throughout the day.

MouseBandit likes this.
  3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My last night was not good. I woke up at 12 and at 5. I felt that my heart pulse was running crazy, not the palpitations, just the heart pumping really fast. I felt very anxious with almost like the heart was in my throat. This morning I checked my heart rate -100 and BP was 117/77. I did a short CT and it went like this - 94 and BP 121/74. My pulse is normally in 80's and BP usually 112/70.

Any ideas?

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Take a look at this link that souldanzer posted on the thyroid and ct thread (here: http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?2214-Thyroid-and-CT&highlight=thyroid)

I'm still trying to get a drip on things, but it sounds like the extra pregnenelone landed you with excess thyroid hormones in your cells (see description below), which made you feel overstimulated. If your thyroid hormones are not a concern, he suggests taking a smaller dose (or maybe dividing the dose) of pregnenelone, to prevent this kind of over-response. Hope this helps!

http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/...l-pregnenolone

Irregular heart rate (eg: palpitations) is a symptom of temporarily too low cortisol in relation to thyroid hormones, and it's severity is determined by the relative difference in cortisol and thyroid hormones.

When it's triggered exclusively by an increase in dose of supplementatary preg, then it's due to the following process:

0) Initially resting metabolic rate is very low, so cortisol levels and thyroid hormones are relatively low - but they are balanced to each other.

1) supplementation with preg initially raises preg levels

2) adrenals synthesize preg along the cortisol-production-line into cortisol

3) cells absorb more cortisol and increase their metabolic rate (good)

[when cells increase their metabolic rate, they consume thyroid hormones faster, and they consume cortisol faster]

4) cells consume T3 faster, cells consume cortisol faster

5) cells start to invoke their genetic programming which raises their resting metabolic rate, ie: they start to "stockpile" all hormones - especially T4 and cortisol (and they hypothalamus allows serum levels of all hormones to rise) THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL GOAL OF THIS EXERCISE

6) but when preg dose is too high for the initial T4 levels, cells won't absorb all of the extra cortisol, and some of that extra cortisol stays temporarily in serum, and the hypothalamus detects this as "too high cortsol" and backs off CRH, which tells the pituitary to back off ACTH, which tells the adrenals to back off cortisol production - by more than the amount of additional cortisol being synthesized by the supplementary preg.

[ The reason why the hypothalamus over-reacts this way is due to the speed cortisol levels increased. The faster cortisol levels increase, the more harshly the hypothalamus responds by lowering ACTH harshly. Ie: if you had slowed down the rate of absorption of preg, eg: via using transdermal preg, then cortisol would rise more slowly, and the hypothalamus would only react optimally to the excess cortisol ]

7) As a result of the hypothalamus' over-reaction, cortisol levels are now temporarily too low

8) At this time cells are loaded with more T4 and T3, but they've had their cortisol supply reduced, so they have their thyroid hormones in excess of their cortisol.

In Hormone Modulation Therapy 101 I've improved the explanation of this phenomenon as follows:

Tune in to the following symptoms of excess preg, excess cortisol and excess T3, ie:

a) Symptoms of preg-is-in-excess-of-T3 (same as T3-is-too-low-compared-to-preg) are slightly spacey feelings - try reducing preg.

b) Symptoms of T3-is-in-excess-of-cortisol (same as cortisol-is-too-low-compared-to-T3) are awareness of your heart beat / erratic heart beat - this has a complex explanation: it's due to an initial increase in metabolic rate causing an initial boost in cells absorbing both cortisol and thryoid hormones, followed by running low on thyroid hormones, followed by temporary ACTH suppression due to excess cortisol due to excess preg. Result is temporary excess of thyroid hormones in relation to cortisol. Try decreasing preg to reduce the likelihood of ACTH suppression, or switch from oral to TD preg to slow absorption of preg to prevent the excess cortisol.

c) Symptoms of cortisol-is-in-excess-of-T3 (same as T3-is-too-low-compared-to-cortisol) are temporary excess cortisol causing ACTH suppression, causing too low preg, causing drowsiness and / or the yawns - try reducing preg.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for that post, Bigknitwit! Very interesting.

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

bigknitwit;36015 wrote: Take a look at this link that souldanzer posted on the thyroid and ct thread (here: http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?2214-Thyroid-and-CT&highlight=thyroid)

I'm still trying to get a drip on things, but it sounds like the extra pregnenelone landed you with excess thyroid hormones in your cells (see description below), which made you feel overstimulated. If your thyroid hormones are not a concern, he suggests taking a smaller dose (or maybe dividing the dose) of pregnenelone, to prevent this kind of over-response. Hope this helps!

http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/...l-pregnenolone

Irregular heart rate (eg: palpitations) is a symptom of temporarily too low cortisol in relation to thyroid hormones, and it's severity is determined by the relative difference in cortisol and thyroid hormones.

When it's triggered exclusively by an increase in dose of supplementatary preg, then it's due to the following process:

0) Initially resting metabolic rate is very low, so cortisol levels and thyroid hormones are relatively low - but they are balanced to each other.

1) supplementation with preg initially raises preg levels

2) adrenals synthesize preg along the cortisol-production-line into cortisol

3) cells absorb more cortisol and increase their metabolic rate (good)

[when cells increase their metabolic rate, they consume thyroid hormones faster, and they consume cortisol faster]

4) cells consume T3 faster, cells consume cortisol faster

5) cells start to invoke their genetic programming which raises their resting metabolic rate, ie: they start to "stockpile" all hormones - especially T4 and cortisol (and they hypothalamus allows serum levels of all hormones to rise) THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL GOAL OF THIS EXERCISE

6) but when preg dose is too high for the initial T4 levels, cells won't absorb all of the extra cortisol, and some of that extra cortisol stays temporarily in serum, and the hypothalamus detects this as "too high cortsol" and backs off CRH, which tells the pituitary to back off ACTH, which tells the adrenals to back off cortisol production - by more than the amount of additional cortisol being synthesized by the supplementary preg.

[ The reason why the hypothalamus over-reacts this way is due to the speed cortisol levels increased. The faster cortisol levels increase, the more harshly the hypothalamus responds by lowering ACTH harshly. Ie: if you had slowed down the rate of absorption of preg, eg: via using transdermal preg, then cortisol would rise more slowly, and the hypothalamus would only react optimally to the excess cortisol ]

7) As a result of the hypothalamus' over-reaction, cortisol levels are now temporarily too low

8) At this time cells are loaded with more T4 and T3, but they've had their cortisol supply reduced, so they have their thyroid hormones in excess of their cortisol.

In Hormone Modulation Therapy 101 I've improved the explanation of this phenomenon as follows:

Tune in to the following symptoms of excess preg, excess cortisol and excess T3, ie:

a) Symptoms of preg-is-in-excess-of-T3 (same as T3-is-too-low-compared-to-preg) are slightly spacey feelings - try reducing preg.

b) Symptoms of T3-is-in-excess-of-cortisol (same as cortisol-is-too-low-compared-to-T3) are awareness of your heart beat / erratic heart beat - this has a complex explanation: it's due to an initial increase in metabolic rate causing an initial boost in cells absorbing both cortisol and thryoid hormones, followed by running low on thyroid hormones, followed by temporary ACTH suppression due to excess cortisol due to excess preg. Result is temporary excess of thyroid hormones in relation to cortisol. Try decreasing preg to reduce the likelihood of ACTH suppression, or switch from oral to TD preg to slow absorption of preg to prevent the excess cortisol.

c) Symptoms of cortisol-is-in-excess-of-T3 (same as T3-is-too-low-compared-to-cortisol) are temporary excess cortisol causing ACTH suppression, causing too low preg, causing drowsiness and / or the yawns - try reducing preg.

Thank you, Bigknitwit, it makes me feel better. I will try a 7mg dose and go from there.

7. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Start slow for sure. When I first started preg (100 mg) I had to lower the dose (50 mg) because the same thing happened to me..... heart palps, racing, and feeling overstimulated. I lowered it and felt fine. Now I take two doses of 50 mg each. I love the preg because it gives me a little energy without any of the negatives. Yesterday I forgot to take it until the afternoon and was tired by late morning. Then within 30 min of taking it I felt great and energized. Actually my "energized" is probably most people's normal feeling! LOL

8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

That is what I need ..some energy during the day. Somehow yesterday, it all waited until the night to manifest.

9. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

That was probably your cortisol. That is usually how adrenal dysfunction start with high nighttime cortisol. :( I can't remember but have you taken a cortisol saliva test to confirm a dysfunction? Plus you have thyroid issues that "zap your vital essence!" I ran around for 3 years completely hypo being tired all the time. I couldn't put my head down on the desk at work for fear I would never get up! Ohhhh....I feel your pain!

But you can slowly raise your preg over time. I don't know what I am taking about but I would think you could raise it a little every 2-3 weeks. I started too high then lowered it and two weeks later I added the second dose back in and was fine.

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I think so too after reading the post from Bigknitwit. I have a spiky night time cortisol so I see the connection. Right now, I am in a waiting mode on my thyroid results.

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I think so too after reading the post from Bigknitwit. I have a spiky night time cortisol so I see the connection. Right now, I am in a waiting mode on my thyroid results.

12. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Oh gosh I can't remember who has what, who did what, or anything of that nature! Sorry.....good luck with those thyroid labs.

13. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Don't worry about it, Patty! You are very knowledgeable and I very much appreciate that you can explain things so it is easy to understand.

14. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Definitely agree - Patty, you are awesome!

15. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

Ah, thank you!

16. Destiny

Destiny New Member

One more thing, I was 2 lbs down yesterday, I assumed it was due to my excessive sweating. Now, I am 3.5 lbs up. I have been thirsty and drinking like a camel all day. What a crazy swing!

17. janagram

janagram New Member

Pattycakes, how did you determine you were taking too much preg?

18. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

My reaction took about 3 days and I got horrible racing heart and palpitations. Within a couple of days of taking half as much the palps and racing stopped.

19. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I'm doing better today, almost back to normal. I will stay on 7 mg for a couple of weeks before going back to 15 mg.

20. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

I think that's a good idea Destiny. Since it affected you go slow to be sure.