1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Effective, Efficient CT

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Raiken3712, May 22, 2012.

1. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

2. Someone on here bought this vest already, I believe. Hopefully they will chime in. If not search for vests or something like that for the original thread.

3. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

If you have your own freezer - buying cheap freezer bags and making your own ice packs seems pretty cheap to me. I typcially can reuse a bag about 5-6 times before it starts leaking.

4. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I reuse 2 liter bottles, fill about 3/4 and freeze. Not sure it effective as dumping a bag of ice in tub but it's cheap!

5. jbond56

jbond56 New Member

I love my ice vest. They are awesome for working in the yard. Only problem the more you ct the faster they warm up. They only seem to last an hour or so now.

I was buying $100 worth of ice a week. So last month I bought a small ice machine for about 800 bucks. It only has storage for 25 pounds of ice. I also bought a coleman 7 day cooler and 4- 4.5 gallon trash cans. So as soon as the bin fills I put it in a trash can and store it in the cooler. This produces about 60 pounds a day and the cooler allows my to do the ct on my schedule.

We had a bunch of family in and it was nice having extra ice around. Expensive yes but it should pay for itself rather quickly.

6. David

David Silver

I bought one of these a month ago and have used it almost every day. I think that my continued weight loss is due, in part to staying cool, even when on the computer. Like now.:D

7. zoebarry@yahoo.com

zoebarry@yahoo.com New Member

What an awesome idea! I'm paying $30 a week on ice and its affecting my budget. Need to find a cheaper method and so I have been scouring craigslist for a used machine. I did find a guy who rents ice machines starting at $50 a month!! I have to get more details, but what you are doing is a great idea!!

8. Tizawee

Tizawee New Member

I use a combination of frozen 1 liter bottles + ice. I found that 9 1-liter bottles will lower the water temp about 10 deg. Also I get my ice from www.icehouseamerica.com/. They are national, sell ice out of little stand-alone structures in strip mall parking lots, 20 pounds for $1.50.

I am fortunate that we have a large fridge on the back porch that we use for overflow. It has about 80 pounds of ice in the freezer on a regular basis. I've been thinking that, if my ice comsumption goes up much further, I'd invest in a chest freezer.

Elin

9. David

David Silver

Thanks. This would be great! But they are not yet in Northern Virginia.:(

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I use 1 liter frozen bottles too. Added benefit: as they melt, I can pour ice water over any skin that is not completely submerged. Then I dip the bottles into the water and refill them and presto! More ice water. I have trouble staying still, so it gives me something to do with my hands in the bath....

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I feel sorry for you guys in the south. Sure is nice to get free CT in the winter up here.

12. zoebarry@yahoo.com

zoebarry@yahoo.com New Member

Darn! There are none in Northern CA either!! I'm paying $5 for 20lbs at Safeway!

13. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

Curses! None by me either.

I'd love to be able to constantly make my own and have it on hand but live in a small apt and alread have a small chest freezer but I need it for food unless I'm at the end of a meat stash and are close to a freezer fill. I might try the 2 liter idea but not sure I can fit 9 or more in the freezer or chest freezer. I might have to come up with a vest idea. Hmmmmm.

14. Jim

Jim New Member

Me too that is why I am excited to be going to New England for the weekend. I just checked and the sea water temp is 54 deg F. Perfect!

15. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

Excellent!

16. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I know much of CT is uncharted territory, but I'd like opinions on this.... I am going into winter where I live (southern New Zealand). We've got temps down to freezing and below every evening; daytime highs are in the 40's. My house is uninsulated and I do not turn on any heaters, day or night. I have not been wearing a jacket (though I do wear a layer of merino wool most days) and I do sleep with covers on. By night, you can see your breath inside! Here is my question I'd like opinions on. Do you think that exposing myself to cold in this way, day in - day out, for at least 4 months is a good form of CT?

I am pretty cold most days but try to wear enough that I don't shiver all day long. However, because I'm cold most of the time, I have avoided doing the ice baths which I used to do 4x/week because I'm already quite cold and I doubt I'd ever warm up. I know that air is less effective than water, but on the other side, I am exposing myself to a pretty constant dose of winter. AKMan, what did you do in Alaska during the winter? I remember you saying you walked outside in bare feet (I have NOT attempted that, though I take 2 walks a day outside without adding layers). What do you all think?

17. Coriander

Coriander Silver

I don't know Lauren, but I've lived in a very old, uninsulated, drafty house for almost 20 years. We only had a gas heater in one room, and if it was windy, the carpet would rise up off the floorboards in there! Because of the cost to run electric fan heaters, I would only let the kids turn on a little blow heater in the kitchen at breakfast if they could see their breath.

I could always handle a lot colder temperatures than 'normal' people; I wear less clothes, and feel uncomfortable in centrally heated homes. But I certainly wasn't cold adapted, and neither are my kids. My older daughter especially is always bundled up against the cold, and keeps a wood fire burning in her home, even though she grew up with no heating in a frosty house.

So, if living like that were the only efforts you were making towards being cold adapted, I would say no, that's not enough. And, if you were cold adapted already from your prior CTing, I don't think you should be feeling cold all day. That just doesn't seem right; do you mean cold as opposed to a warm summer's breeze, or are you miserable with achy feet and on the verge of shivering? (I know that feeling LOL) I used to have to keep warm with lots of housework and gardening.

18. Andrés

Andrés New Member

Well, I am in the do it yourself camp now, since the shipping cost of the official ice vest was prohibitive:

[​IMG]

I bought 4 flexible ice panels (little more than 5€ each), attach in pairs with packing tape and used the packing tape to make a pair of braces in between the two pieces. I haven't got an skin thermometer, but I am quite sure I get the cherry pink effect.

I began with the inner shirt, an outer shirt over the ice-vest, a belt over the two pieces, and a jacket over all of it (actually I am wearing those right now). After two days doing two hours each (it was quite comfortable and I didn't shiver), I began to start each session with a few minutes (first day 5, second 10, third 15, fourth 20, today 30) without the inner shirt. I know Dr. K said to disregard the compression shirt once you are able to wear the ice packs for one hour, but since I haven't used a compression shirt I am going slowly :rolleyes:.

19. Holly

Holly New Member

I bought rectangular plastic boxes from walmart for about $1 each. They are the shape and size of a shoe box. Complete with lids so they are stackable in the freezer. My plastic water bottles and bags that I used to use never lasted very long.

20. Birdy

Birdy New Member

hmmmm, I am seriously thinking of buying a pack of those plastic popsicles. They are pretty cheap, and will last for the season. Now all I need is a vest to put them in.