1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Economic way for ice baths?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by LightForTheNight, Jul 16, 2012.

1. LightForTheNight

LightForTheNight New Member

Like, how do yall make your water cold at an affordable price. Also, how do you guys freeze the water back fast enough to make it cold for the next day? I was thinking about freezing pots of ice, but realized it would take a few days to freeze my 22 qt pot, lol. The next best thing I can think of is filling up a bunch of water bottles, freezing them and just putting them in the tub and just re-use them, you know. They probably won't melt all the way back down to water, so they might re-freeze by the next day, so I can do daily ice baths.

What do you guys think? What do you use for your ice baths? How often do you take them? Have you found a cheaper way than buying tons of ice every day?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

If you can get a commercial ice maker.... go to auctions... you should be able to f ind one for ~$200

I've got a neighbor that visits auctions regularly on the look out for one for me.. DH doesn't know yet! I figure $200 for the ice machine, then ~ $250 for the plumber to come in and run the water line to it... in 6mths that will pay for the ice...

3. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

We bought a used chest freezer and I've used this in summer to cool the water down. I fill plastic containers full of water and they freeze in there overnight. A bag of ice in New Zealand is, for some reason, very expensive. But this is totally free and super easy. If you have a chest freezer you just fill, pop them in and go.

4. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I use about 1/2 of my freezer (side-by-side fridge/freezer). I use a mix of large & small plastic containers, everything from Solo party cups to old plastic containers (Cool Whip, etc). I also purchased 4 Rubbermaid large plastic square containers which freeze huge blocks. The small cup-sizes melt first, cooling the water down initially, while the larger blocks melt the entire time, keeping the water cold. I'm in Houston, TX, where the tap is coming out warmer than 80F, and I get it down to 50-55F this way.

But the idea about buying an icemaker is looking better & better everyday...

5. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I have a pool..I'm just waiting for it to start cooling down.

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I draw my bath water the night before, and let it sit all night to come up to room temperature. That's about a 15F decrease in temperature right there, before any ice is added.

7. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Me too! Can't wait for fall/winter to arrive this year. I'll be able to get some CT in before going to work in the morning.

8. LightForTheNight

LightForTheNight New Member

Cool, thanks guys, I think I settled on the idea of bottled water bottles, I just bought 3 huge packs from Sams for cheap and popped them in the freezer. And Thanks Primal Pam for the cool whip and solo cup ideas and how it brings your temp down so drastically, I might try that next if the bottles don't cool the water adequately.

9. jmathisen

jmathisen New Member

At the dollar store, muffin-tins work great for making ice. Small, metal, freeze fast, last just about an hour in my water. Couple 1x1" sticks to make some spacers, and just stack 'em on the shelf. I debated getting some larger 4oz muffin pans that can make like 36 at a time like commercial bakers use, but am happy with these little ones, and they're cheap enough to just toss if something goes wrong.

For bulk ice, I use some large containers, freeze 'sm, and then put them in one of those large rubbermade totes, and smack'em a few times with a little sledgehammer to break 'em up into pieces. More surface area, cools faster.

I used to just put teh large blocks in the tub, but they didn't melt down by the end of the session, which means I'm just wasting money freezing it, and not getting the benefit.

However, I am purchasing an ice maker soon. One of the manitowoc ones. Supposed to make 120lb of ice a day, but if I only use 30-40lbs a day, only paying to freeze 40lbs of ice.

For those of you contemplating purchasing one, don't forget the power requirements, and the necessity of a drain line. It's not just a matter of gettin water to the machine, but getting it away as well. The cuber draws significant power, and the smaller units are much noisier. I could not find a small one that had a large enough bin capacity (since I won't be home to empty/migrate a small bin to larger storage, since I'm at work), so decided to just go commercial and be done with it.

10. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Anyone here found a cheaper option for ice?
    Thanks

11. drezy

drezy Gold

My friend uses 3 medium sized buckets in his freezer everyday. It takes up a bunch of space, but puts the cost down at tap water cost.

One is silicone and collapsable like this:
    [​IMG]

Jim Laird, Sajid Mahmood and Antonis like this.
  12. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Thanks for the idea.

Jim Laird and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  13. I have old gallon jugs that I fill with water and freeze in my freezer and add those to my tub.

Jim Laird and Antonis like this.
  14. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Great idea too. Am doing something similar with frozen bottles of water.

countingstarsx likes this.