1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Eating RAW fish from your own freezer?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by lilreddgirl, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Is anyone here eating their fish raw?

Are you buying it frozen and then thawing it out ?

I eat sushi and sashimi when out, but because I've never done it at home I feel hesitant to eat the fish raw from my own freezer. I've been reading online and am concerned about parasites...

I'm buying supermarket salmon that has already been cut and vacuum sealed. It's in my freezer which says that the temperature is -6 Farenheit.

Is this safe to thaw and eat raw? Is anyone else doing this? Are parasites a concern?

2. cygnario

cygnario Gold

For me, I've always eaten most of my fish either raw or smoked/fermented, never had any problems.
    I really think raw is the way to go, also keeps the most important nutrients intact.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  3. Inger

Inger Silver

Well I do it all the time... freezed or not.... I enjoy it ;)

lilreddgirl likes this.
  4. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I have eaten fish from my freezer that's been thawed many times.

Whether you eat raw fish at home or at a restaurant there is always going to be a chance of parasites.

The parasite thing...if your stomach acids are strong enough it shouldn't be an issue. It was one of my questions in a consult with Tim Jackson.

lilreddgirl and Martin like this.
  5. Martin

Martin Gold

I was going to answer the same way. I LOVE my wild salmon warmed up with water - very mild and sweet tasting. Some capers... then down the hatch with betaine HCL caps.

Martin

6. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thank you for the answers!

I'm going to try it :) I love raw sashimi when out... so now I'll get to have my own...

7. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

My understanding is that freezing kills the parasites. I am moving to a raw diet for dogs and the the PaleoPet vet that I see (he has a great book too, you can find it on Amazon, Dr Coghlan), in his book he says always freeze the meat you get for them and thaw it, to protect from parasites....seeems as though it should work for us too. There are countries where they are never allowed to serve fish raw that has not been frozen and thawed (Canada, for example, last time I was there anyway). And I believe it is for this reason..... I eat tons of sashimi. I also can buy "sashimi grade" fish at the local Asian markets (gotta love southern CA for those markets alone), but honestly am not sure what the difference is between that and regular fish.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  8. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Here's some info : For fish that contain parasites, the FDA provides guidance under their Parasite Destruction Guarantee. This states in part that fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)”. So.... hope that helps.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  9. SandyD

SandyD New Member

Perhaps this is the reason I don't get food poisoning from bought sashimi, but I get it from anything else raw, with regards to HCL, is this something one needs to do all the time? Or would the body heal the HCL levels increases gradually and one can come off them? I don't want to be relying on HCL for a prolonged period of time.