1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Earthing Mats? Better than nothing?

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by MeghanK, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Marin, one more thing... if I use that cord from the website do I need an external keyboard still or I can just use my laptop....

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Well, there is nothing like a good n=1 experiment. I removed my grounding sheet off my magnetico bed for two nights, but I am back to using my grounding sheet as of this morning. My back is demanding it.

Actually, the experiment has been going on for a bit longer. We have been on a road trip for 2 weeks. During that time, I have been ungrounded for 4 nights, properly grounded with a 6 foot deep grounding rod for 2 nights, and the rest of the time grounded with my sheet attached to an 8 inch long tent stake. When we got back home to the magnetico, I decided to remove the grounding sheet. After all, in the past month or so I haven't felt the tiny tingle I used to feel when laying on the grounding sheet, so who knew if it was still working for me?

This morning, though, I couldn't hardly get out of bed, my back was so stiff. I managed to get up and spread out the sheet, and lay back down for 30 minutes. I could feel the wonderful tingle in the small of my back, just where it was needed. It relaxed my back enough so that I felt like getting up for the day. I have already gone back to lay on it for about 10 minutes, to relieve another spasm.

Based on my experience these past 2 weeks, I'm not sure a short (8 inch) spike in the ground is very useful. However I would use the tent stake again, as a temporary measure while traveling. I also found that in a hot environment, the grounding sheet is uncomfortable. The silver inside the threads of the fabric hold in your body heat. I would find myself laying half on and half off, or just touching my hands or feet to it.

Before these past 2 weeks, my back was in excellent shape. The best it has been in years. I hope my back recovers from all this n=1 before I see the chiropractor next week. I'd rather get improvement from the session, not just pain relief.

3. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

So you actually have it wired to the ground outside instead of using your electric "Grounded" unit in your house? Is it "Earthing" Mat Brand

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yes, the only thing I have connected a ground to my house's electrical system is my laptop computer, through the USB port.

The Earthing brand was a bit expensive for me. I got the fabric for my grounding sheet from LessEMF.com. They have many choices, with different textures and varying resistance. The fabric is also expensive, but a better value, in my opinion.

5. Martin

Martin Gold

You don't NEED an external keyboard, but further you are from the computer, the better. To know more, I test with my Body Voltage Meter and see what values show up when I get a certain distance from the laptop. I also use a gauss meter to measure the magnetic field around the laptop. Then I get away from the damn thing and go outside and play barefoot in the garden!

6. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

JACK or others who have tried.....
    Is this a good idea.... if I can invest $50-$100 on this site in the USB wire and something else, what would you recommend? http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php... Ben Greenfield mentioned wearing his Superhuman Encoder Bracelet for better sleep and grounding but I'm wondering if this stuff is better?....

7. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

I think you might be oversimplifying the grounding phenomenon and not considering the other potential conditions that are important to consider when evaluating the benefits of grounding.

I got a set of test meters from Michael to measure all the different kinds of EMF so I could better-understand how all of this "works." The first thing Michael had me to was measure outside in the middle of my backyard. These numbers essentially represent the "lowest" numbers you can expect to get by removing EMF from your environment. The wheels can fall of the bus here, because if these numbers are too high, nothing you do to remove EMF from your environment will give you the net benefits you are seeking to significantly improve your health.

Another thing we did was cut the breaker to the house, and he had me go upstairs and measure in the middle of the master bedroom. The radio frequency readings we got were high, and there was not really anything I could do about it short of creating some kind of faraday cage (which, incidentally, would also turn the room into a microwave for internal frequencies). Because I was at a higher elevation, my RF readings were higher upstairs than down -- significantly. Ironically the numbers showed up about a foot above my bed. As long as I'm laying flat, I'm out of the RF range. Thankfully.

So here's the clencher: by having grounding sheets on my bed, even those that might be connected to a ground wire, I ran the risk of pulling that RF energy into the copper wiring I was sleeping on, essentially electrifying my entire body while I slept at night. So while the wires ultimately would "dump" that energy into the earth, I would be sitting on top of a major conductor that was pulling in all sorts of other EMFs from the room.

So here's the topper: In February, I slept on grounding sheets a good part of the month. INEXPLICABLY that month, I skipped a period, I started gaining weight at an alarming pace (I'm usually very steady ... I think I put on more than 20 lbs in about 4 weeks -- Imagine my horror -- and my hormones went bonkers. Doctors thought I had premature ovarian failure when my lab results came back). My weight has been very steady for years, and my diet is always clean and pristine. The ONLY condition that had changed for me was the grounding sheets.

I also noticed after a few weeks on the grounding sheets that I was not sleeping well ... I was waking up every couple of hours with hot flashes.

Ironically, during our Q&A call in March or April (March, I think), we were IMing in the chat area and someone else said they skipped a period completely in February, and she thought it was due to the grounding sheets.

So personally, I don't trust them and would caution anyone against "trying" them. The only exception I would make is, if you've measured the room and EMFs are virtually non-existent, you're grounded outside (and there are no sources of EMFs around where you're staked in the ground), there are no EMFs along the trajectory of the copper wire, and you test rigorously with a body meter to ensure you're not accumulating ANY body voltage through the night, then it might be a good choice. Frankly, I think the Magnetico Sleep Pads are a way more solid option if you're serious about creating some health benefits while you sleep.

I am STILL working off the weight I gained four months ago ... it's coming off WAY slower than it came on. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially those in this community like me who are working so hard and are so diligent about their health!

Grounding outside directly to the earth is very different from using the mats and copper wiring ... when we're connected directly to the earth, there is no wiring that could be "pulling" or conducting other EMF sources. Incidentally, Michael reports in his anecdotal experience, he has clients who cannot ground barefoot in the grass in high EMF environments, as their bodies pick up the EMF charges (Michael works primarily with people who have significant EMF sensitivities) and they're very uncomfortable. So in his experience, you can't just ground anywhere ... it needs to be a good area with low EMFs.

We are going to start a replay of the EMF Bootcamp this week. I'll have one of the team members come back and post a link here so you can sign up if you're interested. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  8. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Great post Misty! Lot's to chew on. Doing the accurate measurements of your environment is really key....we don't have unmanageable sources of emf in our bedroom now, so a grounding sheet to the earth outside (also clean) makes sense...but we are really lucky. I'm like nonchalant...I can feel the benefits of both the grounding sheet and the magnetico pad. In any other place I would only use the pad.

9. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

So if you rent a smart meter to test everything... do you plug in your earthing mat and sit at your computer with the meter to see?....
    Similarly... if you are grounded to a "bad" area would it be useless to "ground" your computer with that USB cord recommended above?
    What about the pendants, wrist bracelets etc.? Anyone test these? Worth the $$???
    THANK YOU

10. Rob Alexander

Rob Alexander New Member

I had a grounding sheet a while back and it totally fried me. Once I understood that its like sleeping on the top of a farady cage I ....whichy you would never touch it. I was still hoping to get the benefit of grounding using a small chord but I'm getting the vibe it would do the same thing just on a smaller space.