1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ear Infections ugghh!!

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Shijin13, May 14, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ok.. so ds is on the 2nd' round of abx - for a wicked ear infection - the only reason we knew about it was b/c he told us 3 friday's ago - about ear pain. went to our ped - and she told us it was the worst ear infection she's ever seen - head of the practice agreed...so we started w/amoxcillin - and a follow up 10days later...

so 10days later we go back and see the ped - he's still got it...now he's on another abx - cefedir - we go back in another 10days (actually 6 days b/c he's been on the new abx since Thursday)

Ped now thinks ds late talking, problems w/talking etc is all related to his hearing. she thinks he may have been having ear infections w/o showing symptoms since he was little. he always loves to pull/play w/his ears - so we can't rely on his playing w/his ears as an indication of an ear infection. he also doesn't get fevers when he has ear infections!

We see the ENT in 6wks (earliest apt) to check his hearing and see what the proper course of treatment is!

still waiting on our appt w/ Child Find for his speech eval...

we're pushing bone broths, soups, probiotics extra hard considering he's on serious abx .... the life of chasing after optimal health... not only for yourself but for your kids as well....

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Have you considered chiropractic treatment, and cutting out dairy for him? Both help immensely for kids with reoccurring ear-infections. The chiropractor adjusts the upper neck, and that normally releases the tension that might in turn affect the build-up of germs in his ear canal.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

The kids see a Chiro monthly. Ds has only been "out" 2xs in his 2yrs of life :). As for dairy we limit it in general at the house & I've considered cutting it back at home but state law says he hast to have milk at Daycare unless he has an allergy. We' ll go to the ent then look at an allergist ugh. He only drink goats milk at dcp. He still nurses at home 2x/day. Ped thinks his etruscan (spelling??) tubes might be a bit faulty. Also thinks this might be why he's a late talker.

4. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I had a feeling it could be the ears, from experience with students of mine...that's why I suggested getting that checked. The good thing is you know now and you can work with that. Once the ear health is cleared the speech may not be an issue, time will tell. It's so annoying to have to wait so long for an appointment...let us know how it goes.

5. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Eustacian tubes...that's the part of the ear that fills with fluid, and some kids eustacian tubes fill because of how they lay in the ear. Once they get the fluid down, that's when you'll be able to tell about the speech.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yeah... that's why the ped thinks his delayed speech is 100% related to his hearing/ears. we'll see what the plan of attack is once we see the ENT ....

7. Ugh, sorry you (and baby shijin) are going through this. We had a ton of probs with baby related to this during months 1-18. We ended up having to sleep with one of us holding him upright. For 18 months. Baby couldn't lay down. Perhaps some mechanical relief for healing like figuring out how their head needs to be positioned with their layout. We got a nice recliner and just went with it.

Good news is one day it just started working right (18 months) and all was good. At first signs of infection after that we dripped a little garlic oil in ear and all was good.

8. MJ what kind of teacher are you? No wonder you are so reasonable and calm on here!

9. MJ*

MJ* New Member

LoL I'm certified N-6th grade, and taught almost all of those as some point, but mostly spent my time with 5 year olds, because that's where I was most amused. The things they say and do! :cool:;) I stopped teaching when I had my kids, and now teachers are being excess-ed all over Long Island, so the jobs are very hard to come by.

10. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Hopefully you find some relief in at least knowing where to start...

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

ds had reflux - that he out grew around 13mths... but the ear infections - he doesn't really give clues things are going on - he doesn't present ear infections normally - as far as we know this is his 2nd one - but that may not be the actual case. since birth he's played w/his ears - we figure its a comfort thing - b/c he still does it when he goes to sleep or nurses. he also does when he's upset... so for him playing w/ears isn't an indicator. then there's the fact he only pops fevers when he's teething & bringing in 4 teeth at a time- and then its a whopper of a fever (104 for ~6 days or so!)

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

we'll get there eventually... so who knows... btwn dcp and dh and I we've really been focusing on working on his letters, numbers and cultivating his interest in reading... so we'll see

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Focus on the other senses to help him compensate, lots of visuals and tactiles - play with and show him things he can taste, touch and feel, smell, and whole body movement for numbers - like be bunnies and hop the counts...

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yup we're doing that... we've got lots of tactile books... we encourage finger painting, playing w/playdough and clay, as well as digging in the dirt! he's got an amazing imagination at 2! so we encourage it. he even likes to do the learning apps on the ipad we got for his sister and he does pretty well w/it! just got to keep working it w/him..

15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Perfect you're on the right track for sure!

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

we just heard back from Child Find regarding ds's delayed speech... they think he's in the normal range for now - they want to know how things go after seeing the ENT - then do a re-assessment in 4 mths, to see if there's any positive steps fwd. so we'll get it all figured out.... now if we could just get off the antibiotics for good we'd be golden.... good thing he's still nursing 2x/day - its probably saving his gut from total demolition!

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That's great news!