1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ealachan's Leptin Reset Saga

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by ealachan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

EP Journal, Day 243

b: 4 strips of bacon, two eggs, coffee w/ hwc and cocoa

l: tuna with lemon

d: not sure yet, having company for dinner

- dinner last night was pork chops (just spiced and baked, nothing fancy), kale sauteed with bacon, and some mushrooms stuffed with a little cheese because they caught my eye at the store. Also had a couple big glasses of wine - one on an empty stomach, hoo boy - and dark chocolate for dessert. Very proud of myself because my husband stood at the Ben & Jerrys cooler pointing out all the new flavors they had in stock and begging to buy some, and I said no, no, no, NO. He said "you're a strong woman" as we were walking away from the ice cream, and I was thinking "buddy, you have NO ****ing idea".

- Went to bed around 9:15, slept soundly until 2ish when the dog had a retching spell that woke me up and made me check for barf on the bed...LOL There wasn't any, thankfully. Got up and had a pee, went back to sleep and slept pretty soundly again until just before 7am.

- kind of sneezey again this morning, but nothing like I was over the weekend, thankfully. Hubs works in retail and comes into contact with all sorts of peoples' germs all day long, so the longer we manage to stay cold-free at our house, the more of a victory I see it as. :)

- been having some mental struggles lately that I don't particularly feel like getting into here. I think I need to get back into doing some actual pen-to-paper journalling to see if I can purge some of this crap and/or make sense of it, otherwise it's just going to keep bothering me.

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

EP Journal, Day 244

b: half a can of salmon, 4 strips bacon, 2 eggs, coffee w/ hwc and cocoa

l: tuna, maybe?

d: something involving flank steak

- ended up skipping lunch yesterday - didn't get hungry at all until around 4pm. Dinner last night was a really tasty (if I do say so myself!) pork stir-fry that I need to make again so I can take a picture and blog the recipe. I marinated a bunch of bits of pork in tamari, a little vinegar, lots of grated fresh garlic and ginger, some allspice, ground cloves, black pepper and a little bit of crushed red pepper. Stir-fried that in some olive oil, then stir-fried a whole mess of mushrooms, onions, red and yellow bell pepper, broccoli and some snow peas, added the meat and juices back in, added some beef stock with the same spices as before added, and gave it a couple minutes to mingle in the pan. Super yummy. I had too much wine and too much chocolate as well.

- went to bed around 9:30ish, had no trouble falling asleep, but woke up sometime in the night with heart RACING. Guessing it was the combo of too much chocolate and too much wine finally catching up with me. I got back to sleep fairly quickly, but still. Going to lay off the wine for a few days, methinks. Woke up at 6:45 with a dog jumping all over me. I got up and took him out - 15 minutes outside in 20 degree air with just tshirt, yoga pants, hat and mittens on, wheeee! :) I like 20-degree mornings. I like the crunch of the frosted grass, I like the way everything sparkles a little bit in the sunshine, I like STILL cold air a lot. It's when the wind kicks up that I tend to go into "get inside ASAP" mode.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

EP Journal, Day 245

b: half a can of salmon, 4 strips bacon, coffee w/ butter

l: still have this can of tuna hanging around...

d: not sure yet

- ended up not eating lunch as such again yesterday, although I did slip up and eat a piece of office birthday cake...which was too sweet but still pretty tasty. I also ate some dark chocolate during the day. Surely the two offset each other...;)

- dinner last night was "fajitas" - flank steak spiced with cumin, chili, salt, pepper, garlic, lime, seared and cut into strips, served with sauteed onions, mushrooms and a yellow bell pepper I had hanging around. Also made quacamole - just avocado, lime juice and raw garlic - to go with it. I drank a beer as well.

- was in bed by 10pm last night, oxy'd up, slept like a rock, woke up for a minute or so sometime in the night, woke up at 6:45 this morning via a combination of dog whining and sun in my eyes. Weird dreams again - I dreamt I was working for a tech company and one of my husband's friends worked there too, and he convinced the CEO of the company to basically rob the company via bank technology stuff, but they held us all hostage while they did it...very odd.

4. ealachan

ealachan New Member

EP Journal, Day 246

b: salmon, 2 strips bacon, 2 eggs, coffee w/ butter and cocoa

l: dunno

d: dunno

- skipped lunch again yesterday, just wasn't hungry. Dinner was cod with tomato olive tapenade and some mashed sweet potatoes. And ice cream. No booze though, so that's a small plus.

- back started hurting yesterday afternoon. I think it's likely due to poor posture at work, combined with a crappy office chair. I took 800mg of ibuprofen last night and it dulled it enough that I could sleep, but I was tossy-turny all night (except that it hurt to move so I couldn't really toss and turn, I'd just keep waking up and grumbling...lol) and didn't get much quality sleep, I don't think. Still in pain this morning. Took some more ibuprofen with breakfast and am now sitting with a couple ice packs on my back. I'd like to get into the cold bath, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to get out if I could get in. Pretty bummed, because I had a lot I wanted to do today.

5. Go ice baths with freeze waters! You will be numb and somewhat high when your time is up and get out will not be a problem! Your little bunny foo foo could bark and alert the neighbors if you get stuck. Imagine how much fun THAT would be!

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Hahaha, yes, that would be lovely. My husband is actually home, he could haul me out of the bath if necessary. Well, I SAY he could...I'm not honestly sure if he really could...lol

7. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Are you feeling better? Your poor back! Do you have a chiro you trust?

8. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Took it easy all day yesterday - mostly sat around knitting and watching movies with the hubs, which was nice. Back is still a little sore, but not can't-move-at-all sore like it was Friday night and yesterday morning. Ibuprofen and ice has been helping.

Darleen - I've never been to a chiro, no. The idea kind of freaks me out a little, although I know they help a lot of people. It just seems like once you start going to one, you have to keep going, you know? Some of the ones around here seem to operate like that, anyway.

Got all my T-day shopping done this morning, so that's out of the way, thankfully! Hubs is working late on Wednesday night, so it should work out pretty well, as I'll be able to do all my prep ahead of time without feeling bad for spending all evening in the kitchen.

9. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Re the chiro ... no you do NOT have to "keep going" any more than you have to keep going to the massage therapist. It's a good idea to get an occasional tune up but not necessary.

Our chiro (who is so danged busy it's a 6 week wait to get in to see him) also has a masters in sports medicine. He is FANTASTIC. He's so good and so well educated that DH's doc at the VA gave him permission to continue to treat Joe after his back and then neck surgery.

BTW it was the chiro who insisted that they do an MRI on Joe after the neck surgery. He had started having headaches which began right after the surgery and became so bad that he couldn't get out of bed AT ALL. The doc at the VA had decided he just had a sinus infection. I was at my wit's end because you know, men do not listen to their women. We don't know anything.

They scheduled the MRI for that day and found he had a hematoma that filled 1/4 of his skull. I am not kidding. I saw the images. The upper left quadrant of his head was full of blood. Good thing it was a slow bleed or he'd have died.

Anyway. Jim, our chiro, is the absolute BEST in my book. Besides saving DH's life, he helped his shoulder pain which they finally figured out was caused by the way he (hubby) was hanging off the train cars at work. He'd thought he was going to need surgery but Jim fixed it. :) Jim uses a lot of additional therapies including deep tissue massage (OW!!!), heat, muscle stimulation with some kinda hoodoo electrical thingy (that's the technical term for it, btw). And when he's done he tells you to go home and ICE whatever was bothering you.

So ask around. I'd think you'd have a good chiro somewhere in the vicinity. We swear by 'em.

10. LinD

LinD New Member

I didn't believe in chiros until back in late 2004/early 2005, I ended up with a C4/C5 issue (herniation). The therapy at the orthopedic office was not helping, and I chickened out on the cortisone injection. So I asked for prayer in Sunday school class when a fellow member told me his story. So I proceeded that route and after 5 weeks of therapy (3 days per), I was in tons better shape. Also, I recommend a book by McKenzie, "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0452282772

I still do the exercises occasionally, plus pay attention to my neck position all the time. I'm sure there is the same issue with backs.

11. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Since it's your doing that I am now pretty consistently doing CT on a daily basis I thought I'd ask YOU .... are you just doing cold water or have you also added ice? I've been going over the protocol post again because I was thinking that after my 2nd week of playing ice queen I'd need to actually add some ice. Since I can do the big bag of ice on my bare belly when I'm not IN the tub I'm hoping it will be fine when I'm actually in the cold water. I hope.

12. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I don't do ice because I'm a lazy ****, basically...LOL I don't see the point of schlepping re-usable ice containers back and forth every time for just a few extra degrees' difference, and I'm certainly not going to shell out for pre-made ice every time I want to take a bath. My tap water is currently coming out at about 52 degrees, and my last bath in that got my skin down pretty close to the "magic" 55 degree mark after 30 minutes, so I'm ok with it. I am hesitant to go super-hardcore-cold because I'd rather detox more gradually, at least for now. I have like 30 years' worth of bad **** floating around in my fat and I don't really want it all hitting my system in a short amount of time, since I have to actually function and work 40 hours a week and stuff. If I could take a couple months off and do nothing but CT and detox, then I'd be hitting it as hard as I could...but I have to balance this whole craziness with an actual LIFE, you know? :)

13. ealachan

ealachan New Member

EP Journal, Day 247

In which our heroine's back STILL ****ing hurts, ugh!

b: 3 strips bacon, 6-ish oz venison, two eggs, coffee w/ butter, hwc, cocoa

l: probably not going to need any

d: not sure yet

- skipped dinner last night because we had a late lunch of sausage and spinach crustless quiche (blog post coming on that...it was wicked yummy) and neither of us were hungry by dinner time. Did have one beer, some dark choc and some walnuts around 6pm.

- had quite a lot of oxytocin yesterday evening...heh. Went to bed at 10, fell asleep pretty quickly, slept fine until it started to get light out, then I woke up and couldn't get all the way back to sleep. Got up and walked the pup at 7am - it was 22 degrees out. Was out in tshirt, yoga pants, hat and mittens for about 15 min or so.

- back STILL hurts. It seemed fine most of yesterday. I don't know if the semi-energetic boinking last night caused it to regress or what, but it's back to me not really being able to lean, twist or reach to the left much without causing pain. Also, I think I figured out what caused it. Friday afternoon at work, the water cooler was empty and I hoisted a full 5-gallon water jug onto the machine to refill it. Back didn't hurt right then and there, but it definitely started hurting soon after, and left was the direction I had to turn to get the bottle onto the machine. I've done that same lift and movement before and not had an issue, but maybe I was just postioned slightly differently or something this last time. Joy.

- Adding insult to literal injury, I woke up with a tiny zit right on the end of my nose. :( I'm trying to leave it alone. Trying. Not entirely succeeding.

- fed my husband venison for breakfast. I didn't tell him what it was until it was cooked and on the plate, so he couldn't really argue. He didn't NOT eat it, so I guess it wasn't too offensive to him...;) He's a city boy, and stuff like wild game makes him recoil a little bit, but I grew up eating venison and really like it once in a while.

14. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Venison ... yum.

sorry your back is still bothering you. There's also the alternative of seeing a massage therapist or maybe even an acupuncturist. I know it can be expensive but if that's what you need to fix it then my suggestion (unasked for I know) would be to fix it.

OTHO that snarky jealous part of me sez that's what you get for all that enthusiastic boinking. pfbbbbt.

15. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I know. I've never been to a massage therapist, either. I'd feel bad about them having to squish all my back-fat...LOL

I'm going to give it a couple more days (and be more careful about the boinking), and see if it resolves itself. If not, then I guess I have to suck up my issues with being touched by strangers and either see a chiro or get a massage.

16. We have a stash of vicodin from various things. Happy to mail you some! I try to remain open minded about chiro/massage as a therapy. The rate of resolution of back pain due to a specific injury without treatment and with treatment are the same.

Seems like those that are of the mind to go to see a chiro/massage person, also seem to be the type to benefit from the placebo effect and spiritual related well-being.

So I try those, yet come back to my original conclusion - that for me, since I'm missing the spiritual/placebo/benefit from the bonding kind of person -it's not gonna help.

You are probably somewhere in between I suspect - but I totally get the gist of not wanting to do either due to fat. I was exact same way.

17. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I have a stash of vicodin too, but I'm always so afraid of it making me barf that I hardly ever end up taking it. I actually have a pretty high pain tolerance for the most part, and I try not to take medication unless I really need it. That having been said, hubs' Rx 800mg ibuprofens were my best friend all weekend. Wish I'd have remembered to take one before I left for work this morning!

The thing about chiros that really scares me is this: All it takes is one snap to throw something even MORE out of whack. My dad has sworn by his chiro for years, but I've always seen him come back from there limping just as much as when he went in, and taking like three days to get back to feeling good anyway. That, to me, seems not really worth it. Also, I know several people whose chiros have them on a "schedule". They go in every 3 months (or every month, in one case) to get "adjusted", whether anything is out of whack or not. That kind of thing always makes me a little suspicious. I know not all chiros operate like that of course, but it just sends up kind of a red flag for me in general.

18. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I like rolfing (or maybe I should say, I like the effects). The process is less than fun but it helps me a lot (haha - I first typed that as "hurts a lot." Freudian slip). Some rolers may be trained to do high velocity moves (e.g. the "cracking" that chiros do) but I wouldn't let someone do it unless they do it a lot. Like many times a day. Neck adjustments cause strokes at a rate of 1 in a million, which doesn't sound bad until you're that one (as was a friend's sister). Hope your back gets better - I know how much that ruins my mood.

19. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Hehehe...rolfing. It's fun to say, at least. Also, I am easily amused. :)

I used to do a pilates / yoga hybrid class that really seemed to help my back and neck after a while. I'd like to get my butt back into the class, but it's Tuesday nights at 6pm, which generally doesn't jive with my schedule. She does another class close to where I work, but it's a mid-day thing and I think it's geared more toward seniors. Which, frankly, I feel like I'd fit right in nicely, today at least...lol

20. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I can verify, and so can hubby, that there is no placebo effect going on. He came home from work one time and he looked exactly like the crooked man. It took about 3 visits to the chiro to get him straightened out.

My first visit was because I had developed a horrible pain in my lower back right near my hip. THe doc couldn't figure out what was wrong and the nurse told me (after he'd left) to go see the chiro. He got rid of the pain and he was (and still is) the only one who can fix my neck. I will suffer for weeks, sometimes months, it never corrects itself. I don't know what it is that he does but it works.