1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dump Olive Oil - Omega 6 content - Eye Health

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Jackie Nelson, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Jackie Nelson

Jackie Nelson New Member

Opthamologist interview: https://www.bitchute.com/video/vmx3g04OcgjM/

Near the end he talks about the historical increase, in New Zealand (where I am), for omega 6 oils and the parallel dramatic increase in macular degeneration.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Richard Watson likes this.
  2. coho3131

coho3131 New Member

I do think olive oil can disrupt the optimal omega-6 to omega-3 ratio unless there is a focus on foods rich in omega-3. I only drizzle olive oil occasionally for the flavor on top of dishes. I don't heat olive oil because it is unstable compared to the fats that are solid at room temperature.

Richard Watson and caroline like this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Omega-9 Oleic Acid, is the Main Compound of Olive Oil.

4. Glenn A

Glenn A New Member

Yes, good to not heat any unsaturated oils.

Don't think too much about the o-6/o-3 ratio. There's a good study that shows, from actual rat-tests, that 4:1 is an optimal ratio for the brain. But this ratio thing is a scheme that allows the fish-oil trade to sell you on increasing your omega-3 (and obviously buying a lot of it from them) to get it up to the level that you now have the "ideal ratio" with omega-6. What a crock. It's because they are too weak to tell you that the way to health is actually to STOP eating so much omega-6. Especially potentially oxidized omega-6 as you are going to get from those soy/safflower/sunflower/corn oils in the store. And one study found that over half the tested omega-3 pills were already rancid also. So take rancid o-3 to balance rancid o-6? There's a lot of truth that is omitted from almost all discussions out there on the "omegas".

JanSz is right that olive oil (if it is pure, but many supposedly are not pure and have other cheap omega-6 oils added) is predominantly omega-9 and thus monounsaturated and less vulnerable to oxidation. But pure olive oil still is about 12-15% omega-6, and thus that component is more vulnerable to spoilage than the omega-9, Oleic Acid.

But, coho, I do agree with you that drizzling a little olive oil on a salad is probably safe, and the only way I allow myself to take in any omega-6 refined product. Of course you get omega-6 (and omega-3) in all kinds of foods you eat, but if the food is fresh, except for nuts, you are getting these polyunsaturated fats in such small, reasonable quantities, and with that necessary freshness, that you don't need to worry about that consumption at all. Nuts are high in oils, thus high in omega-6, and if there were sitting around, already shelled for weeks, you probably don't want to ingest them. Only walnuts and hemp seeds have a reasonable amount of omega-3 in them. The other nuts, hardly any. I love nuts, but tend to abstain, as I think they are probably dangerous if purchased already out of the shell.

caroline, Richard Watson and JanSz like this.