1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dry Ice to Cool CT Bath?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Jim, May 18, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

As my input water temperature goes up, I am looking for more efficient ways to cool down my tub water. I was in my local grocery store and noticed that they are selling dry ice. That got me thinking that I could use that to cool my tub water. Does anyone have any experience using dry ice? How much should I use? Can I let it touch the water directly? What are the safety concerns if any?

Thanks!

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

I don't know...dry ice can burn you...when you put it in a liquid it makes "fog" ...think a witch's cauldron on Halloween

3. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide (co2). It's been awhile since physical chemistry, but dry ice sublimates (goes from frozen to gaseous) at normal room barometric pressure, so there's a good chance you could asphyxiate (deprive oxygen) yourself if you try this. depending on how much you use and room ventilation of course. You could find yourself nodding off into a deep sleep for good.

4. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Oh that seems too dangerous in a tub...no Jim no, we'd miss you...

5. Nymue

Nymue New Member

I wanted to chime in on this back when I first saw the thread, but my account hadn't been activated yet. Better late than never! I tried the dry ice route, as it's available at my local grocery store. 5 lbs. of the stuff took about half an hour to fully melt, and that was with help from me, swirling it around first with a broomstick (talk about looking like a witch stirring her bubbling cauldron, ha!), then with rubber gloved hands. I knew I couldn't get in until it was fully dissolved. So, after waiting all of that time, 5 lbs. of dry ice cooled my 80° tap water down to..... 75°! How disappointing. It's a good thing though, it cost me $1.49/lb. and would've been a VERY expensive way to CT.

I've gone the route now of filling up my largest tupperware containers w/water and freezing them. That gets my water down to about 63°. If I bought a 5lb. bag of ice or 2 and dumped that in, I think I'd be able to get it into the 50s.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

7. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Do you have a spare cooler? You could put water in containers (water jugs, ziploc bags, ice trays, etc.) in the cooler along with the dry ice. That might be enough to freeze the water in the containers or at least get it good and chilled. When we had a 2-day power outage last fall, we bought dry ice and it stayed frozen in coolers for days. Dry ice isn't cheap but it might be more cost-effective than buying ice.

8. Nymue

Nymue New Member

Yup, this is why you'd have to wait for all of the dry ice to dissolve before getting into the tub. You want to make sure that it doesn't touch your skin and that you're not sitting there breathing in all of that carbon dioxide!

The cooler I grabbed it from at the store said that it is 5 times colder than ice. So I figured a 5 lb. block should be the equivalent of 25 lbs. of regular ice. No dice. Even so, 25 lbs. of ice would've been cheaper.

9. Nymue

Nymue New Member

The issue with using dry ice this way is that it won't stay frozen for long! I initially bought 2 10 lb. bags of dry ice. I used 5 lbs. the first night and put the rest in the freezer, w/the intention of returning the one unopened bag to the grocery store after my experiment didn't go as planned. Well, it should have been obvious that my freezer is not cold enough to keep something that is -109° frozen! Duh moment on my part!! Expensive duh moment, too. :rolleyes:

10. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Bummer it didn't last. I wonder if your freezer actually heated up the dry ice and melted it? Your freezer is intended to stay at around 0 degrees so if you put something super cold in there, it might not work as intended. In our case, we had the dry ice in a portable cooler. Once we were done with it, I opened up the cooler and it took the better part of a day for it to melt/evaporate.