1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dry and chapped lower lib

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Antonis, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Hello guys, hope you all doing well with your lifes. I got an issue with my libs the last week.
    Since I started my lifeguard job at a beach area where is windy, my lower lib got dry and chapped. Its a bit painful too. Have you ever experienced such a thing ? If so, what can I do for that to heal? Am in the sun everyday the whole day. I might burn my libs that's why I have this issue. But anyways, I would really appreciate your help, thanks.

2. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Antonis, is your lip burned or just dry and chapped? A natural oil like coconut or olive oil should be soothing and healing. If you need protection from all day sun, then your healthiest option might be something like zinc oxide. I don't know if our lips are supposed to develop a sun callus like the rest of our body from chronic exposure to early morning sun. Perhaps.

Antonis likes this.
  3. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

It started healing now. I think it was from the advanced sun exposure. I was just worried but I like it. I might burn my lib for the first time but the benefits are amazing. I feel superhero since am spending the whole day in the sun being productive too. I got a subtropical tan aswel lol. Thanks for your advice. I was actually using the olive oil to smooth it. Thanks!!

shah78 and Katie Durham like this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

@Antonis

Just for your reference.

Last year I spent almost all summer outside UVindex 12-13.

I that found this year that when the solar power consistently crossed the UVi 9 mark or so my nose skin got flaky for about a week and then settled into a nice tan. It sounds similar to your experience, though you are likely taking some more wind than I am too.

Antonis likes this.
  5. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

I guess so. You were probably spending the whole day too. This year am spending the most in the sun with no break. There is a little wound on my lib that is trying to heal. Let's see. I applied avocado oil. Thanks man!!

drezy likes this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Good luck.

That's what confused me a little earlier this year. Since I spent 3-4 days a week outside between 7AM to 8PM (barring some food shopping and cooking) I was surprised that my nose flaked up this year. It seemed to sort itself out pretty quickly.

Hopefully you'll heal right back up.

Antonis likes this.
  7. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Thanks bro!

8. FWIW I found that my nose and forehead were the only areas of my body to get burnt and real sore my last few trips to Equator... India, Sri Lanka, Mexico... everytime, it is my nose and forehead.

I was also using a smartphone on all of these holidays.

Getting rid of my smartphone recently cut all the blue light from the equation.

My nose and forehead have stopped being so badly burnt now... still not perfect.

I think 10 years of staring at a screen has probably destroyed the Redox in the skin in those areas. Effectively, rendering those Mitochondria "senescent". The Skin is meant to regen every 48-72 hours. So, it would explain why my whole body goes beautifully brown and never burns, but the area with the most BL Exposure in my whole life = Red, flaky, chapped and sore.

I'd also be aware of using PC/ Laptop or if you also don't use a smartphone. Iris and F.lux are good, but it is still artificial light. The more I'm learning, the less I think the "light issue" is purely a case of cutting the Blue. I think, anything that is non-native, no matter how "safe", if it is electric and I think it will have a damaging effect on Mitochondria.

Antonis likes this.
  9. Antonis

Antonis Free diving