1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Drugs to avoid because they lower Q10 levels: and decrease your zeta potential

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by Jack Kruse, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Medications that can lower the levels of coenzyme Q10 in the body include statins for cholesterol , including atorvastatin (Lipitor), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol, and simvastatin (Zocor), fibric acid derivatives for cholesterol, including gemfibrozil (Lopid), beta-blockers for high blood pressure, such as atenolol (Tenormin), labetolol (Normodyne), metoprolol (Lopressor or Toprol), and propranolol (Inderal), and tricyclic antidepressant medications, including amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequan), and imipramine (Tofranil).

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Because coenzyme Q10 may lower blood pressure and blood sugar and raise dopamine levels, drugs that accomplish these same goals may amplify these effects to unsafe levels.

Diabetes drugs that lower blood sugar include insulin, Symlin, Byetta, acarbose, Actos, Avandia, glimepiride, glipizide, glyburide, Glyset, metformin, and Prandin. Taking these drugs with coenzyme Q10 may cause hypoglycemia, a life-threatening condition. Herbal products that lower blood sugar may have the same doubling effect. These include eleuthero, fenugreek, ginger (in high amounts), kudzu, and panax ginseng.

Medications to lower blood pressure include ACE inhibitors (captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril), angiotensin-2 receptor blockers (Avapro, Cozaar, and Diovan), beta blockers (atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol), calcium channel blockers (amlodipine, nifedipine, verapamil), diuretics (Dyazide, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), and propranolol (Inderal).

Like coenzyme Q10, other dopamine-increasing drugs are used to treat Parkinson's disease. Do not take these while you are on coenzyme Q10. These include bromocriptine (Parlodel), carbidopa-levodopa (Dopar, Sinemet), Dostinex, Mirapex and ropinrole.

Coenzyme Q10 can raise your blood's ability to clot, so it may cancel the effects of anticoagulants, such as warfarin or heparin.

Some drugs and therapies may lower your levels of coenzyme Q10, thus canceling the benefits of taking it as a supplement. These include statins (lovastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin), drugs prescribed to lower cholesterol; doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Doxil, Rubex), a cancer-fighting drug; and synthetic hormone replacement therapy with the hormones progesterone and estrogen.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Wow, this ubiquinol is good stuff!
    I didn't know that the blood pressure medicine I used to take (when I thought complex carbs were good) depletes CoQ10.

4. freesia

freesia Old Member

CT seemed to take the edge off my need for ubiquinol supplementation, and I stopped taking it for a while. I've started it again now! :) Anyway, I found heart symptoms were the first to disappear when I first started taking it (along with l-carnitine) a couple of years back. It is good stuff. I guess we should take more until we learn to make more...to offset certain environmental stresses we're exposed to.