1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Dried seaweed?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Nicolaj Sølvsten, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Nicolaj Sølvsten New Member

In Denmark a new company "nordisk tang" (translates to "nordic seaweed) has been founded. I bought 15 grams of Saccharina latissima for about 5 dollars. The company seem aware to the importance of seaweed in terms of human development which I thought is extremely cool! I spot some hope.

Is dried seaweed worth the money? Or has the useful micronutrients been eradicated in the process?

2. Inger

Inger Silver

I would never buy that expensive seaweed, uh.. You get really good quality way cheaper!
    I buy my seaweed from orkos.com. Cost is between 7-11 euro / 100 grams of dried. They have raw dried seaweed from France. Mostly they have some fresh kind of seaweed too!

You need to make sure the seaweed is air dried without heat. And that it is not too old.... Iodine vaporizes out of it with time... and also if you cook it.

I make me seaweed-water. Water with dried seaweed in it. I drink the water and in the end I make a smoothie out of the remaining seaweed. Tastes awesome! That way you will get the most benefit out of it I think.

Some seaweeds have so high iodine content that you might be careful not to eat it in too large amounts. Just a little goes a long way :)
    I love "sea-spaghetti". It has moderate iodine so I can eat a lot of it.. and I love the taste!

You can also pick your seaweed at the coast of Denmark :). Just find a clean coastal area and pick to take it with you home :) All for free :)

Josie Thomson and Brent Patrick like this.
  3. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Nicolaj Sølvsten New Member

I found a cheaper alternative: 100 grams for about 3.5 dollars :) Not the same species though.. (Fucus vesiculosus)

I am feeling unsure about picking it myself as I feel the coasts that I have access to are too poluted (close to ships)

Thanks for response :)

4. chuoiit6

chuoiit6 New Member

, This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. brookway17

brookway17 New Member

Lots of great information in this is thread.
    I was just wondering if you can rehydrate seaweed with apple cider vinegar?

6. How long can you keep dried seaweed? DH buys in bulk and has not used it since fall 2015.

Inger likes this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Very long time. Add it to sauces and bone broth and survivor soup.

Josie Thomson, Mayuri, Inger and 2 others like this.
  8. Ok, made my first soup with it, and learned that it needs to be cut afterwards. I don’t care too much for the stem and this looks more like kelp than seaweed. Soup was good, just needs more spices including heat for me. Had some left over and put spaghetti sauce on top; A winner there as I don’t care for pasta. Next on list will be a lemon clam sauce. Might as well try it all while I have it and it’s free.

9. Danica

Danica New Member

Could you also pick seaweed from beaches in Australia? At least a few times during summer seaweed washes up on beaches, covering large parts of them. I am not sure what kind it is. Would you just take it home, wash it and add it to whatever you are making? I guess my main question is, is any seaweed edible?

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have done that ....and I am still here!

Josie Thomson, NDC74 and drezy like this.
  11. Danica

Danica New Member

Oh good, I'll do it too then. There is LOTS now at Curl Curl beach.