1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

"down under" muscles

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by caroline, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

i just remembered how my daughter at about 10 months old started doing these spins... good call we caught it on video. a master class in turning flow no?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, those are fun to do in the water. Feels incredible.

3. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

fwiw the archery accuracy is impressive but his locomotive and jumping techniques do not look stable and safe to me, he really should bring those skills up to par with the archery itself to avoid injury.

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Great point to bring up! :)

I actually thought that the movement of his feet and in general seemed very awkward. It just didn't look dynamic.

But while I was reading Pavel Kolar's 'Clinical Rehab Textbook', I was thinking that maybe the "awkward" movement displayed in the video isn't actually bad.

In this context, I think that posture has to be taken into account given the fact that the archer is holding and possibly trying to fire arrows from a bow. I think "good posture" and "safe movement" in this case means being able to:
    • Get into the stable static positions needed to fire that bow
    • Maintain those positions through the needed joints (like the shoulder, upper spine, etc ...) to keep the stable static position despite external forces
    • Have the rest of the body (like the legs) react to movement requirements in a way that do not compromise the stable position of bow firing
    Of all of his movements, I actually think that he's pretty good at maintaining stability throughout the body. I like looking at this example, because the bow gives a nice reference point for how the rest of the body is aligned at a particular moment in time. Most of the time, I feel like I'm looking at stable spine, head, and shoulder position.

I think his movements feel awkward because he's taking very small steps to decrease the required force needed to maintain the stable bow firing position with each step. Each step lacks a lot of force, and I also think lacks a lot of movement efficiency, meaning that the way he's stepping isn't optimal for getting from point A to point B, but is designed again for keeping the stable bow firing position.

I think he could do the landing (from jumps) better, in that he's seems to be keeping a rigid spine in effort to stabilise the bow firing position, and therefore transferring too much load burden to the knees and ankles during landing. Again, I think that's motivated by trying to keep the stable bow firing position at all costs, which may not be the right strategy all the time.

----

I could be wrong about all of this BTW, since I'm getting my head all confused by Pavel's textbook :p. I'll probably revisit this after more discussion and information. I can also rely on @Josh (Paleo Osteo) can also tell me that I'm wrong :D

I need to get a bow and actually try some of this shit out though :cool:. Experiencing the bow firing position feels like yet another way to understand how movement works (and therefore how to do it more safely and more efficiently)

5. his stability is task directed

many lose overall competancy when they become hyper-specialized

this is where mark and i are putting in work

6. primaledge

primaledge New Member

Great thread,

speaking of hyperspecialization and unnatural movements, some high level skateboarders have some of the poorest posture and motor patterns I've ever seen in "athletes", but the ones that last long and push it to new levels are not the hunchback stoner crack babies from NYC, but guys like Brandon Westgate who works ina cranberry bog and builds shit with his hands for fun.

As far as skateboarders go, he exhibits some of the most amazing strength, power, and mechanical proficiency with no wasted energy into "style" like so many skaters nowadays. He takes some of the landings on smaller drops rather rigidly, but Brandon really seems to have amazing neuromusclular control and decent mechanics. What ya think, Josh (Paleo Osteo)?

7. primaledge

primaledge New Member

Yew-Wei, Josh (Paleo Osteo),

have you seen Chris Duffin's coaching cues for breathing/bracing on squats and deadlifts? He's retty accomplished in terms of dangerous brute strength in squat and deadlift and for a bit he held a record for the heaviest 4x bodyweight squat and actually studies the Prague DNS stuff. This video is a bit long but I found it to be the best tutorial on breathing/bracing for heavy loads.

8. michellehp

michellehp New Member

Thanks for this thread- I see that it's about 2 years old now but I'm having to do some research now. My husband came home saying his PT recommended an 8-week sex hiatus because he hasn't any seen pain relief after having hip labrum repair surgery and psoas release, piriformis release.