1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

"down under" muscles

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by caroline, Jan 15, 2015.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have been doing a lot of reading about our pelvic floor muscles and their huge importance in our everyday life. I have really been taken them for granted .....so much I hadn't thought about.
    These "down under" muscles

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  2. kovita

kovita Gold

oh dera, Caroline, a theme for me having a third child on the way... You just reminded me I have spent lately more time in spiritual exercisesa nd forgot completely the pelvic floor! Not sure "the spirit" will lift it up ;-)

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Squats are a really good way to work the pelvic floor. same with kettlebell swings. My MW had me squat - getting as low as possible to strengthen the pelvic floor in addition to kegels. One of the things they told me to do. was squat and pee in the shower....

I really do miss asian toilets. they're so much better for us. By the time I left Okinawa, I was able to use the loo while on rollerblades....

4. nicld

nicld Gold

Oh, thanks to a great cough the past week I have found my muscles and lets just say, they are REALLY out of shape :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just noticed that part of my original post is missing :oops: here is the rest of it......

These "Down under muscles" are un recognised, multi tasking achievers, thanklessly coordinating various tasks every day of our life.
    We all know they help maintain continence and support pelvic organs etc. ...but I never thought about them protecting our spine and contributing to sexual sensation [hence my new found interest!]
    I am shocked by how many women have horrible issues with pain etc. and Docs know very little...why does that surprise me??? Women are often told it is all in their head ...that shouldn't be a surprise either.

I almost always hold my waist in [ to appear smaller] not unusual apparently! but that is working the wrong muscle group ...and not letting the pelvic muscles do their job.

How are your muscles "down under"???

Are you able to recognise the correct muscles???

David Limacher likes this.
  6. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

My bride had sore muscles from a week of coughing. She mentioned it at to the physio who then had her sit down on the gravitron - a vibrating platform which helped immensely.

The physio asked her if she wanted a blanket for her modesty as she sat there vibrating - since she was wearing a skirt and the platform is very low to the floor. My bride said, "No its ok I'll just face the wall, but you can bring me that fireman calendar if you like.":D

Women can be so naughty sometimes:cool:

Shijin13, Josh, nicld and 3 others like this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

You gotta love a naughty woman!!! :p

gotta google gravitron

Nittygrittydanny and nicld like this.
  8. this will form part of my myth busting and educational workshop on the cruise

David Limacher and Shijin13 like this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

naughty women???? can I volunteer???? :p

10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Shijin13 likes this.
  11. nicld

nicld Gold

Yep, we can be naughty and you guys like it :p:p:p:p

I just might do some deep squats.

David Limacher, Shijin13 and caroline like this.
  12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Squats are phenomenal. Just keep your heels on the floor.

Shijin13 likes this.
  13. nicld

nicld Gold

It was kinda tough today to do them. I tried to stay in a really low squat like in the pictures you see of people harvesting during a couple of commercial breaks during a show I was watching. My calves and ankles are not as flexible as they once were. Need to REALLY work on that.

Shijin13 likes this.
  14. Josh

Josh Gold

I harvested rice and wheat with some village women a few times and boy was I sore. They spend hours in a squat working. Everyone in the village seems to live in a "squat" until they get enough money for chairs.

caroline and nicld like this.
  15. nicld

nicld Gold

Yep, that's what I tried to do. Nice and wide squat like using the woods for a bathroom (done that before :rolleyes:)

Shijin13 likes this.
  16. podcast for my site coming this week on squat

David Limacher and Shijin13 like this.
  17. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Yes it would be easier with heels on;)

nicld, caroline, fitness@home and 2 others like this.
  18. caroline

caroline Moderator

this thread is going off the rails .... as usual......

19. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

So holding your stomach in de-activates those muscles? I never knew . . .

I use my daily commute to do kegel exercises while I drive but have lost the habit lately:oops:

caroline likes this.
  20. CindyB

CindyB Guest

http://www.katysays.com/kegel-queen/

"PFD is a sign that your entire body is collapsing, from the inside-down. While the sneeze-pee and organ prolapse may seem like a huge deal it is nothing compared to the neurological damage to the spine, nerves, and tissues that those nerves supply (especially the nerves running to the lower legs.) The kegel is a drop in the bucket to what someone with PFD needs to do to heal all their structures. PFD is a whole-body situation and for optimal, whole-body outcome, the body has to be treated holistically. Otherwise it’s like putting a new roof on a termite-ridden frame."

caroline likes this.