1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Does Winter Swimming = Cold Thermogenesis?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by brent-next, Feb 14, 2017.

1. brent-next

brent-next Gold

Last year I discovered the Jack Kruse web site in early October and learned about Cold Thermogenesis (CT). Since I was in Ukraine where there is a long tradition of winter swimming, I thought I would try winter swimming and hopefully I would stay healthy in the winter.

Boy was I wrong! I swam in the river every day and tried to adapt myself to the cold as much as possible by walking around town lightly dressed with my big winter coat under my arm in case I really needed it. I did this from October until the middle of January, when I got the worst flue of my life. I also developed unexplained leg swelling which persisted until I was able to start sunbathing (in a house with less microwaves) in April.

When I got sick, I was eating lots of fish, drinking lots of home made bone broth, exercising regularly and using UV sun lamps regularly. On the down side, there was very little natural sunshine, my apartment had too much wi-fi in it (although I turned mine off) my apartment didn't have a tub for CT, and the only way to get my apartment cool was to open the window.

I swam like the locals did which was typically a 15 to 30 second swim in the river every day. The video below explains what it's like.

So why did I get so terribly sick in spite of doing many things right? Here are my guesses.

1. It's very had to beat the averages. Millions of people in Ukraine got this flue and 350 people died from it. This was considered a fairly normal year for flue deaths. Note to self. Never spend another winter where people commonly die from the flue. This winter I've stayed healthy (but haven't made much progress on my road to optimal) in Cyprus.

2. Perhaps the heat and microwaves in my apartment were a bigger detriment than the cold was a benefit? I did turn my Wi-Fi off completely and shut off my power at night and only used dim candles in my apartment after sunset.

3. Sunlamps can't replace strong natural sunshine. In fact the ozone created by my uv lamps probably contributed to my lung irritation.

4. I should have been very careful about warming the air I breathed with a scarf over my nose when I was on the street.

5. Eating a high fat ketogenic diet resulted in more belching and this probably contributed to my lung irritation and sickness. First you belch up a little bit of acid -- then you inhale that acid and irritate your lungs. I should have reduced my fat intake slightly until my digestion improved.

My guess is that 15 to 30 seconds of winter swimming, European style, really doesn't help you that much compared to one hour of CT in a cold bathtub. The winter swimming does trigger the good feelings, but it wasn't enough to keep me healthy in the winter.

In my understanding of CT, we are trying to shrink the respiratory proteins in mitochondria to make them more efficient and make more ATP. Right?

It looks to me like sitting motionless in a 50 deg. F. tub of water for up to an hour would be much better than a few seconds of swimming in 35 deg. F water.

Comments? Clarifications? Suggestions?

Seth Nelson and CTforlife like this.
  2. shah78

shah78 Gold

Fine analysis of your Ukraine experience. NOW FIGURE OUT WHY YOU'VE WASTED YOUR TIME IN CYPRUS. :) Why no "progress"?

brent-next likes this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

4. brent-next

brent-next Gold

It's difficult to weigh factors against each other without knowing if they are big effects or small effects. Sunshine is clearly a big effect. Was 35 degrees north far enough south to go? Perhaps not. Here in Cyprus, I have gotten enough sun to keep from getting worse, but not enough to get better.

On the other hand, I know that I do very poorly in hot climates, which is part of why I didn't go to a Red Sea resort in Egypt.

How much does living in a typical apartment building (which I have done here in Cyprus) hurt your mitochondria from too much wi-fi? I don't know.

Winter swimming seems to be something that will make you feel good for an hour, but not do any significant healing. Doing CT for an hour in your tub might help a lot, who knows.

My guess is that I have lousy mitochondria. I did 22 minutes of CT yesterday and seven minutes today. CT may help, but it will take time to show any effects.

I have methylene blue in my bag, perhaps thats the next thing I should try.

5. brent-next

brent-next Gold

Hi Shaw78,

This is an insightful and helpful question. Thank you for asking it. Part of my answer is the parasite ascaris lumbricodes, which I write about in my optimal journal: https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/brents-optimal-journal.19063/

I tested positive for this naughty little worm again a couple of weeks ago after testing positive last year and then taking the prescribed medication and then re-testing negative. Doctors in parasite rich parts of the world (like Cyprus or Ukraine) say that a positive test for this worm means you have it, but a negative doesn't mean that you don't have it. Multiple re-tests from multiple different labs are recommended to establish a higher likelihood that you really don't have it. One worm is all that it takes to seriously mess you up and if you have one male worm, you will NEVER see eggs in your stool.

I did this re-test on the advice I had gotten from a sleep Dr. last October, but hadn't had a chance to poop and take it to a lab until now. Big mistake.

Two recent tests for my BUN / Creatine ratio were 15 and a few days later 35. Obviously I need more water and less microwaves. My vitamin D was low in spite of getting enough sun to leave me quite tanned. My Sun Friend UV meter watch was showing a 6 to 8 much of the time, my skin is tanning and I was taking about 2,000 IU of vitamin D per day. Even with all this my 25 OH Vitamin D levels were in the bottom 1/3 of this labs range. My current assumption is that my skin doesn't make a significant amount of vitamin D in my current environment.

The parasite ascaris lumbricodes (the worlds most common round worm parasite) is clearly a big effect.

shah78 likes this.
  6. shah78

shah78 Gold

good luck.

7. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

Just keep evolving... Was I supposed to say swimming????

The first place I used CT was a 30 degree day with a river about 2 miles from my house. The water was so cold it shocked my whole body into a numbness, that within 10 minutes, was gone and replaced with boundless energy and a sense of well being. 30 minutes later I'm doing as many push ups as I humanly possible could at the time, maybe 50 straight? I was so cold I thought I was dying before I got home, that was the day I truly lived... Just keep evolving bud, you know what feels right, is the light.... Anytime you feel good remember light is sending that message...........

brent-next and Brent Patrick like this.
  8. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

We aren't trying to make ATP in the cold. We are holding onto your life source and attempting to accelerate it. The more accelerated your life force = the more you can catch the power of light. I suggest you do not swim however and just stay still in a pose. I couldn't swim until weeks after adaption. Now Tahoe swims are nothing.... I love cold lakes

9. brent-next

brent-next Gold

I think that's good advice. For the last almost two months I have been living in a remote beach resort in northern Cyprus. I had hoped to be in the cold sea for a couple of hours per day. Unfortunately many days including today have been far too windy or had waves too big for me to be in the sea.

I think I would have been a lot better off to get a stock tank set up so I could reliably get in it, rather than waiting for calm enough sea conditions.

I've ended up being in the 62 deg. F sea about three times per week for about half an hour each time. Unfortunately that's not cold enough water and not enough time in it to make any noticeable progress.