1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Does type of protein matter

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by andee, Feb 12, 2013.

1. andee

andee Silver

I'm noticing that certain types of protein seem to keep me satisfied longer - has anyone else had this experience? I could pack away 60 grams of shrimp for my BAB and be hungry an hour later - even adding coconut oil to my coffee and putting butter on the shrimp. 50 grams beef will keep me sated for 3-4 hours. 50 grams Bacon/eggs/lamb will work for 6 or 7 hours. I'm using the heavier proteins for the BAB, which seems to work, but am just wondering if anyone else notices this.

This is a great forum - thanks everyone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Andee, a lot of people commented on this exact thing when the epi-paleo rx was first released. I tend to do what you do - I eat my saturated fat and meat protein for BAB and (I tend to only eat 2 meals a day) eat my seafood (usually trying to keep it with non-saturated fats) for the second meal. I can't explain why many have this reaction (maybe something to do with the way we burn/use DHA?) but you are not alone.

3. andee

andee Silver

KiwiLauren -Thank you! This is a relief. I prefer to eat 2 meals a day as well, and this seems to be the only way to do it.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Andee I am pretty sure that Dr. Kruse has said the same thing...... If he is having seafood he will also have some meat.
    I do that quite often so that I get seafood in at both meals. I, as well, only have two meals. I hope you are doing really well. Keep us posted on your progress ......it helps everyone.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes types do matter a bit........

6. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I quite like meat and seafood together. :) Even if it's bacon and seafood. Sometimes I accidentally only had seafood for too long of a time. Oops.

Beef heart. Since I discovered beef heart in January I almost never want liver any more. It tastes better and doesn't stink up the whole house (got to be considerate to other people living here who gag from liver). ;)

7. andee

andee Silver

Thanks, everyone. Bacon and scallops for breakfast, too awesome.

8. diane

diane Gold

Second (or 3rd) on having the saturated fat for BAB. Although once I've been doing that for a couple of weeks, I find that I can have seafood - shrimp, salmon, etc - for BAB, but I make sure that I have enough fat with it.

Zorica - just an FYI. Heart is not considered organ meat - it's muscle meat. So if you're trying replace liver, it won't be the same. Heart is great - it's just not organ. At least that's what I have learned from years of feeding raw to my dogs. :)

9. ...4th or 5th on the sat fat for BAB. It's the only thing that keeps me full enough and then I only want one more meal, seafood, to finish out the day. I have plenty of energy now, don't get hungry at night, and really feel, for right now, this is working for me.

10. andee

andee Silver

Very true about saturated fat - good reminder. I had a great day, only 2 meals and more energy. Thanks to all for the support.