1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DOES LOWERED TESTOSTERONE LEAD TO POOR COGNITIVE FUNCTION?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Jack Kruse, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Short answer is YES.

When to Screen, When to Treat injuries in traumatic brain injury cases?
    Anything that alters the sex steroids cascade can lead to chronic brain injury. This can be from drugs, supplements, a lack of sun, or trauma. Is this why testosterone lowering drugs can be a problem in those with TBI risks? YES.
    Is this why playing professional sports comes with serious long term risks for developing hormone and brain dysfunction? Yes. Can this effect be seen in kids too? Yes.
    Head TRAUMA is a big deal in humans.
    There is no debate that TBI-related endocrine dysfunction is a widely missed diagnosis. The healthcare providers who are first to treat these injuries are often unaware of potential long-term effects.
    Emergency room staff [and primary care doctors] are the ones seeing the kids come in with the head injuries and they’re thinking concussion and all the old school stuff about concussion-causing headaches, maybe some dizziness, and vomiting. The common perception in thinking with TBI, is that the kids are going to get better on their own with time, and they’re just not aware that you can have these hormonal changes associated with the TBI that slow recovery or lead to a non recovery longer term and set up the risk for neurodegeneration and dementia or ALS.
    Diagnosing post-TBI dysfunction involves serum screening tests including 8:00 AM cortisol levels, midnight melatonin levels, thyroid-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, IGF, free thyroxine, testosterone for male patients, and estradiol for females. However, there have been several published guidelines on the recommended screening intervals and even treatment.
    There are a lot of transient deficiencies in the first year that makes it difficult to base lifelong treatment on early results. The best screening is a careful history of symptoms of adrenal, thyroid, or gonadotropin deficiency or much more importantly, the quantitation of linear growth in kids or in lowered IGF-1 levels for adults. TBI causes both acute and chronic pregnenolone steal syndrome and is usually linked to low Vitamin D 25 (OH) levels and higher LDL cholesterol.
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-07-dementia-tied-hormone-blocking-prostate-cancer.html

Marko Pollo and Lahelada like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

DOES LOWERED TESTOSTERONE LEAD TO POOR COGNITIVE FUNCTION?
    @kris90

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Diagnosing post-TBI dysfunction involves serum screening tests including
    8:00 AM cortisol levels,
    midnight melatonin levels,
    thyroid-stimulating hormone,
    luteinizing hormone,
    follicle-stimulating hormone,
    IGF,
    free thyroxine,
    testosterone for male patients,
    and estradiol for females.
    =================================================

@Jack Kruse
    why not
    IGFBP-3
    E1 & E2 for man
    5a-DHT
    progesterone
    DHEAs
    SHGB

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. kris90

kris90 New Member

Context JanSz. Low testosterone in the blood is not always indicative of hypogonadism. Receptor activity matters, but cannot be measured.

Kris is lean, muscular, has good libido, deep voice, facial hair.

Cindy Domitrovits and Jack Kruse like this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Apparently not what @Jack Kruse thinks.

Lahelada likes this.
  6. kris90

kris90 New Member

Because 99.99% of guys with low T will have hypogonadism.

Cindy Domitrovits likes this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I agree, congratulations, but
    and I also always wonder how this may influence your opinions,
    yours and the other unusual guy.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Wrong Jansz. Kris knows exactly what I think.

Cindy Domitrovits, JanSz and kris90 like this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

ok

10. kris90

kris90 New Member

@JanSz I highly recommend reading the CT 6 blog, it will be helpful for you to understand.

My lifestyle pre-Jack made me hypogonad: exercising 5-6 days a week under blue light, calorie restriction and IFing while leptin resistant/adrenal fatigue. The missing link was becoming cold adapted. I fixed the hypogonadism without changing my levels (actually levels slightly decreased) but I allowed my receptors to become sensitized. If I stayed warm adapted, I would have to eat a boatload of carbs (i.e. my Ray Peat experiment) to prevent hypogonadism. I tried that way, and it worked (tripled my T levels), but being cold adapted allows me to perform better in literally every way, and improve body composition.

When I talked to Jack in 2017 and re-read this from CT #6, I knew my situation was different than 99% of modern males:

Cindy Domitrovits likes this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I agree with what you are saying and quoting
    specially
    that
    you are supported by @Jack Kruse
    I am more preoccupied with the fact that you admit that you are different than 99.99%
    or even if it is 99% of people.
    I definitely wish you good luck.
    We are talking about maybe 10 people, likely less than 5, you included.

I have heard already about few (secondary hypogonadal) peoples able to raise their testosterone (sufficiently) just using HCG but that is rare and does not last long.
    //
    My life was hell when I became hypogonadal.
    That was reversed when I started using supplemental testosterone.
    -----------------------------------
    Overall, Jack raised a highly important topic.
    testosterone
    its level should be included in standard checkups
    Chronic hard physical work without any injuries can do it too.

Sun Disciple and kris90 like this.