1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Does an elevated anion gap = thiamine deficiency?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Tfreeman, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Tfreeman

Tfreeman New Member

Vitamin B1 deficiency makes you crave sugar
    Vitamin B1 (also called thiamine) is essential for the body to turn sugar into energy. When we don’t have enough vitamin B1 two things happen. First, we get symptoms of low blood sugar. Some people feel anxious. In women PMS symptoms may get worse. Second, we crave sugar.

Vitamin B1 deficiency often shows on basic blood work. The lab test you want to look for is the anion gap.

What is anion gap?

Anion gap primarily tests for metabolic acidosis. This is a condition where the blood is too acidic. It is not a single marker. It’s calculated off of other labs. If you don’t see it printed out on your labs, you still may calculate it.

Anion Gap = (Sodium + Potassium) – (Chloride + Carbon Dioxide)

Sodium and potassium carry a positive charge. These are the cations. Chloride and carbon dioxide carry a negative charge. These are the anions. The anion gap is the difference between positively charged cations, and the negatively charged anions.

So, for example, if you lab test comes back:

Sodium: 140
    Potassium: 4.0
    Chloride: 104
    Carbon Dioxide: 28

The anion Gap will be:

(140 + 4.0) – (104 + 28) = 12

What Does An Elevated Anion Gap Mean?

The reference range for anion gap is about 6 – 16. If the anion gap is elevated, it typically shows metabolic acidosis. This a condition where the blood is too acidic.

As a naturopathic doctor I use a tighter, more functional reference range. 7 – 12 is ideal. If it’s higher some considerations, I have may be to supplement with electrolytes, or give vitamin B1.

The question I always ask my clients when I see an elevated anion gap is if they feel hungry all the time. If the answer is yes and their symptoms match those of vitamin B1 deficiency, then I’ll tell them to supplement.

Alcohol is actually quickly converted into sugar. I have seen cases where people didn’t crave sugar, but alcohol. The treatment was the same vitamin B1 supplementation. In fact, one theory of alcoholism is that it’s really caused by low blood sugar. This causes people to crave alcohol because it’s a quick source of energy.

https://saulmarcusnd.com/2018/08/17/vitamin-b1-deficiency-sugar-cravings/

2. Tfreeman

Tfreeman New Member

As someone who still craves sugar, I am going to mitohack my cravings with Thiamine for the next two weeks, add nothing else, and see how it goes.

Matt Fowler and God loves you like this.
  3. Tfreeman

Tfreeman New Member

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Tfreeman you wrote:
    Anion Gap = (Sodium + Potassium) – (Chloride + Carbon Dioxide)
    The reference range for anion gap is about 6 – 16.
    more functional reference range. 7 – 12 is ideal.
    -----------------------------------------
    My anion gap is not where it should be.
    Could use some suggestions.

One of my problems are nightly leg cramps.
    That improved greatly when @DrEttinger suggested this:
    upload_2021-1-17_14-25-47.png
    https://www.advancedhealing.com/wp-content/uploads/Potassium-BEST.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    upload_2021-1-17_14-9-22.png

upload_2021-1-17_14-19-40.png

5. Tfreeman

Tfreeman New Member

I've worked with Dr. Ettinger and love the Baja Gold salt - I still use it every day.

If it is true that thiamine lowers the anion gap, and an elevated anion gap means thiamine deficiency in many cases (often due to over consumption of nutrient depleted carbs), then it's possible you need more. I'm currently hacking my thiamine to see how it works on my symptoms. My only thought would be that Spectracells numbers for thiamine and various other nutrients are lower than what your body needs. Just because something is sufficient does not mean it's optimal, as we see with Vitamin D levels. My friend who lives in florida has vitamin D levels over 100, and does not take any supplements, only the sun. This means that her levels are way higher than recommended by the NIH, and yet she is fully functioning on natural levels over 100.

Your need for thiamine could be great than sufficiency in your spectra cell test. Have you tried an experience with thiamine and leg cramps? It could be a great bio/mito hack for you to try. I will be posting my results in a few weeks, but every time I take thiamine I really feel some differences.

I take pure encapsulations Benfomax, 1/day in the morning with breakfast. Will post results soon.

Matt Fowler likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

From my observations, my leg cramps are strongly correlated to low potassium.
    I still get cramps sometimes.
    When I do, I get additional 1/2 tsp of potassium bicarbonate and go back to sleep, cramps go away immediately.
    ---------------
    I am hopefully not missing on thiamine (vit B1).
    Some previous Spectracell test indicated borderline thiamine, so I was on it:
    LEF.org Mega Benfontiamine.
    When I got test results with good thiamine levels, I still had lots of pills, so I was planning to finish them up and then stop.
    Eventually discussions on Covid started, thiamine is one of the items that is indicated as good to watch.
    Long story short, instead of dropping the pills I am still taking them, but now two pills a day.

It seems like B1 is hardly related to my muscle cramps.
    But my anion gap is high.

8. Tfreeman

Tfreeman New Member

It's interesting you have leg cramps with an elevated anion gap. Leg cramps are a sign of lactic acidosis/metabolic acidosis or alkalosis, shown in bloodwork with anion gap. I assume you are not including simple carbs and processed food in your diet, so I wonder why. I thought I saw Jack say that CT can help for this. Do you feel any benefit from the brand of Thiamine you are on? My local doctor (Leo Galland) actually isn't a fan of the Spectra Cell test & theories. I'm going to ask him why and I'll keep you posted.

Potassium bicarbonate is a base (pH 8.2) so maybe it helping an acidity in your system; it's interesting that it helps. Seems like it's all tied together, and that an elevated anion gap, indicative of thiamine deficiency amongst other things, could be a cause. Not sure what else.

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I eat only little carbs (of the type that raise insulin and glucose).
    Daily shower in cold water.
    Fasting insulin rather low.
    I added 5-MTHF after seeing this test, to hopefully get homocysteine little down.

At first @DrEttinger mentioned good benefits from taking Sulbutiamine.
    I got one from Bulk supplements and used, nothing noticeable happened.
    @Jack Kruse was doubtful about sulbutiamine. I stopped Sulbutiamie, latter increased to two pills/day vit B1 from lef.org.
    That B1 have thiamine and benfontiamine in it. All that, while having sufficient B1 levels per Spectracell.
    I am doing that because (supposedly) good B1 levels are helpful when COVID-19 is around.

upload_2021-1-19_14-53-35.png

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021