1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Do you need AM UVA sunlight in winter if you are coupled to cold and not light?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Curves, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dantothep

dantothep Follow life's little clues...

I too had The same thought about two weeks ago, when only the leaves on the tree exposed to the sun turned in colour.

2. dantothep

dantothep Follow life's little clues...

Yes I thought about this too, how CT is mostly prep so that one can go bare in winter, and suck up that UV. Not been full immersion indoors as much but cycling in shorts and shirt in sub 45f.

Overdid it yesterday thought and did full CT in the bath, plus cycling cold, plus sitting in a freezing cold office. Mild hypothermia kicked in a little, felt crap, cup of ginger-tea remediated this though.

3. "The results suggest that UVA exposure specifically dilates blood vessels, significantly lowers blood pressure, and alters NO metabolite levels in the circulation, without changing vitamin D levels. RNS triplet state free radical metabolites have powerful far reaching effects in humans beyond their skin surfaces. Further experiments indicate that pre-formed stores of NO in the upper skin layers are involved in mediating these effects. The data are consistent with the seasonal variation of blood pressure and cardiovascular risk at temperate latitudes."

I may have missed something along the way but reading the above paragraph made me think that if my reptile bulb is only UVB with very little if any UVA the dilation of the blood vessels isn't taking place thus not lowering the BP. My BP is high and I'm hoping this light will help.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Do I believe that that Quantlet may affect these physical effects? Right now I do...........and the details are being talked about on my Dr. Jack Kruse FB page

Scompy likes this.
  5. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I just made this video what I'm doing with cloud cover as a semi-helpful biohack. Assuming I'm getting UVA, but no UVB, with added IR.

Thinking my biohack might be semi-flawed if it's too warm out. With the IR on me, I can feel the heat, but I want my skin to be cold. But because I'm standing in 50F, adjusting my distance to the IR can help reduce the heat and increase the cooling. This method might be more effective when it's 40F and below.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    nicld, Curves and Shijin13 like this.
  6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've been wondering when you were going to get here.....

7. Curves

Curves Guest

Scompy, just to clarify, if your biohack that you are adding artificial IR light while you're sitting outside taking in full spectrum sunlight through thick cloud cover?

Here's the thought running around in my head with respect to light in the Fall/Winter in the Pacific Northwest. UVA and IR yes, UVB no. Artificial UVB would be a mismatch given latitude.

Scompy likes this.
  8. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Thanks, yeah that's correct. I'm not sure about the cloud-thickness today--it cleared off around 3pm for afternoon sun. I'm expecting I'm getting UVA via the sun + the IR from the heater unit within a foot of it. I don't think my unit produces any UVB. Looking 10 days into the future, it looks kind of bleak for us.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USWA0395:1:US

9. Curves

Curves Guest

@Scompy omg it was pitched black when the sun rose this morning. Heavy rain and dark clouds. I don't remember it ever being this dark in San Francisco although I probably didn't notice if it was. All I can say is thank good for this SolarGlo bulb (thanks @JanSz!) ; it made a huge difference.

As I was contemplating the approaching winter and strategizing how I was going to get my daily light fix , I realized how brilliant your trips to Sedona are! I hadn't thought that far ahead but I might have to plan some of those myself!

nicld and Scompy like this.
  10. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Curves likes this.
  11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

nicld and Scompy like this.
  12. Curves

Curves Guest

Thanks @Lahelada! Very helpful link. My UV forecast says "low" every day and at all times next week -- BUT at least it didn't say "none." Whenever it clears, I rush outside to catch whatever rays there are :)

13. Ruben Vela

Ruben Vela New Member

What bulbs are you using for UV lighting? (does it include UVB as well?) I built a plank with IR lights.

14. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I've reconsidered since I wrote this. I'm still getting outside into a clouded sky to grab the UV rather than UV+IR. Even if it snows, I'm looking forward to it because of back-reflection of light with CT at the same time. UV light on the skin absorbs better in the cold, so doing a weak-ass indoor UV with heating the skin could be a hack-fail. I have some indoor full-spectrum bulbs and an IR machine, but now I rarely use them 'cause I get outside so much now. Maybe if I get sick, it might be a hack. I planned many vacations to Arizona in the coming months. It's really about location. I'm in a crappy location in Seattle. When I moved here in 2010, it was basically 7-straight months of thick cloud cover. I'm curious to find data on sickness rates or the like. I'm thinking it could be interesting to see if someone can conduct a test of # of sunny days vs. sickness-related hospitalizations over a several-year span to see what the numbers reveal.

Curves likes this.
  15. Ruben Vela

Ruben Vela New Member

I'm experimenting using IR or "red light therapy" for photo rejuvenation, healing (joint pain from training) , and stretch marks with a combo of teprenone/caprylic. I figure if Im standing there might as well be incorporating some UV. No doubt Im still going outside for available UVAs. Just wondering if blacklights would help as I seen from other people on this thread. So sitting in a tub (CT) with UV/IR?

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

My Dr. FB page has an interesting red light link this AM. Scheduled for 9:00 AM CST time. 11/16/2025

Ruben Vela likes this.
  17. I've started sleeping with an uv light bulb about three feet away. No issues!

18. Based on what our natural evolution implies--of course nature finds a way to leverage whatever free energy is out there regardless of the season.

19. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

What bulb you using, all the ones I have tried reflect blue off of there base.

20. Just a plain ole blacklight bulb. I think they all reflect a bit of blue.

seanb4 likes this.