1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DO I REALLY NEED ALL THESE SUPPLEMENTS?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Dennis Durost, May 12, 2017.

1. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

I am 75 and have been a big supplement taker for years. I currently take 22 different supplements. About six months ago I got into Intermittent fasting and fast for 16 hours a day. When I do eat it is high fat and low carb. About three months ago I started a rather rigorous exercise program developed by Doug McGuff, MD that involves one 15 minute workout a week doing 5 machine exercises to failure. I do the workout during the last hour of a fast. Several weeks ago I found Dr Kruse and have jumped in with both feet. I now rise at dawn to get some sunlight, spend most of my day grounded, wear my blue blocker glasses when called for and turn off the circuit breaker to our bedroom at night to reduce the dirty electricity effect. I pan on getting a magnetic mattress as well as the new devise to be released later this month. I also plan to start today with a CT session. Just had a nice fatty grass fed burger and am staring at that glass of ice water. With all that said, is there a core group of supplements I should be taking? Hopefully I can get rid of much of what I am now taking and save a few bucks in the process.

drezy likes this.
  2. Penny

Penny New Member

Eat seafood, drink structured water, pay attention to the time of day, get cold and suck in as much sun as possible, magnetico is great - also try to meditate or OM or anything else that is a hit to your vagus nerve - skip the supps - and save $$$:)
    https://selfhacked.com/2015/07/30/2...agus-nerve-and-all-you-need-to-know-about-it/
    You basically want to make your cells resonant -

WildForWesties and Brent Patrick like this.
  3. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

^^^ I agree.... Just start over time eliminating each supplement one at a time over time and see how you feel. This way you can really feel the difference and hack the effects and let your body adjust. Make it a fun n=1 biohack..... The more optimal you make it the less you need.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am 77yo.
    I use sunlight and keep track of Circadiam Rhythm.
    I do use supplements.
    Most of my supplements are monitored by using:

Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum
    which is one of the lines on my blood test that I do 2x/year
    see my script here:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-4#post-199717

and
    using this tests:
    Usually
    Micronutrient Test (MNT)
    CardioMetabolic Risk
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-5#post-210075

-------
    Without tests I use:
    1 dropperfull/day=40mg/day=16drops
    Lugol's Iodine Family Pack -- 6 (2 fl. oz.) bottles
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3B49R2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

And
    Country Life Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin -- 600 mg - 250 Tablets
    as need with each meal.

Because of results on my:
    I mostly do not eat seafood, or fish/krill oils,
    but eat lots of other fats, mostly in the effort to improve my future test results.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm a baby at 40 compared to your 75 years young.

• Until recently was a big supplement user (up to 10 different ones)
    • For the last 10 years I've been paleo into keto-paleo half way in. I could always hush a room of paleo acolytes with the statement "I've been on it for over a decade."
    • Prior to Doc Kruse I was effectively able to get to a fast like yours easily with some supplements
    • With many factors like no sun, bad environment, not enough DHA, and neoglucogenesis I slowly managed to pack on pounds.
    • As a taller gent I only put it on around my kidneys (proto saddlebags). Old friends never noticed but I knew and it bugged me.
    • What changed ? sunlight and CT and DHA See ( https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/i-think-im-turning-into-a-mitochondriac.19191/ )
    • 250lbs & 17-ish % body fat to now 227lbs and 13ish %. Zero workouts (minus 2 in 3.5 months that my wife insisted on me joining) zero supplements(not suggesting your path, just detailing mine).
    • Why zero workouts and zero supplements? What Jack was saying seemed so over the top I decided I would just jump in with both feet like you. I'm happy I tried it. The 40 yo me could kick the 30yo me's ass at pretty much anything now like endurance, memory, strength, the boudoir performance.
    You're well on your way and I'm cheering for you adding CT. In the beginning, and if I spent any time away from CT, I just imagined that my son's life was in danger if I didn't just go all into the CT tub. It sounds really silly and melodramatic but it got my butt into the cold quicker.

Tips I've learned from Jack and other members that might apply to you:

• Get the dminder app if you have a device. Simply seeing your abysmal D stats (yeah it's not all about D, but functionally this is great) for a week will shame you into getting more sun with less clothing on. Having a UV plan is great. Feeling ashamed of you current calculated D level is way better. I even have a calculated D level competition going with my wife. Let me tell you as a husband any competition with your wife where she happily removes her top just to beat you is a fine competition with me! Did I maybe bump up her fitzpatrick skin type up one level in the app so she needs to remain nude near me longer, you ask? No comment.
    • Never forget your morning (or anytime) "wood-o-meter" (thanks @JanSz for helping with this most critical of all tests). That is a good indicator of progress. It sounds crude but never lies about your hormones, stress levels, blood pressure and many more stats. If you find yourself thinking "Hey, I remember this wood from a decade and a half ago" then you are on the right path.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  6. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

Here is my summary response. I appreciate all the insight and recommendations. Let me respond:
    1. Don't like fish in general and am allergic to shell fish. Instead I've started on Jack's recommended Nordic Naturals.
    2. I don't do structured water but do consume reverse osmosis. I believe Jack said that was ok in one of his webnars.
    3. The sups kind of accumulated over time. Each one was added based on a perceived need at the time. Selenium, Vit C , Iodine and Olive Leaf Extract cured my thyroid problem and Ultra Prostragen got my PSA back under 1. I plan on cutting back slowly per the recommendation.
    4. JanSz: Glad you are using the HCL with pepsin. Everyone over 50 should be taking at least on capsule with each meal to assist in digestion. I cured my acid reflux by HCL supplementation. Initially took six capsules with each meal since my stomach acid was so low. Within a week after starting HCL all reflux symptoms vanished. I then straightened out my gut biome and was able to titrate down to now only needing one with a meal.
    5. Got into paleo about 5 years ago since a tennis partner was writing a book on the subject (Art DeVany, New Evolution Diet). Art also steered me to a supplement I will never quit and that is Glutathione. Art claimed he had not had a cold in 15 years. I, on the other hand, was plagued with chronic bronchitis every two or three years. Started Setria Glutathione 4 years ago and have not had a single viral issue.
    6. Did first CT today. I am muscular and lean all over except for stomach and love handles. Am doing a spot treatment using a waist trim belt and ice packs. Went for an hour but almost caved after just three minutes. Fortunately some numbing set in and I was good to go. Plan to do daily for a month and see what transpires. My wife thinks the CT is crazy. Her recommendation is I simply dump the beer and all will be good. Sure.

Again, thanks for the input

Jason Coates and caroline like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

From the two tests I mentioned above:
    Micronutrient Test (MNT)
    You can find out status of items you watch:
    selenium
    glutathione
    vi t C
    Nordic Naturals
    and many more

You may actually find out that Nordic Naturals may be hurting you.
    Or that you may have already plenty of glutatione but missing something else.

There is also a chance that
    Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) contained in Ultra Prostagen
    could be replaced with using extra dose of spices (nutmeg) or even maca.
    It all may be about watching if you have proper levels of
    Myristoleic Acid, C14:1
    Myristic Acid, C14:0

Spot treatment of fat is rather silly,
    how to spot treat visceral fat around internal organs,
    and that likely is a first place that needs attention?

I think I have a solution to that, but still do not know how to implement it.

Get highly accurate basal thermometer, I use this one:
    Care Check Basal Digital Thermometer Fertility Tracking with
    1/100th degree F Accuracy
    to Test Basal Body Temperature BBT for Natural Family Planning

and measure your body temperature deep under tongue.
    Do that at rest, in the mid day, say noon.
    The goal is to have
    98.60F=37.00C

Most of the time.
    Anything less and we are talking difficulty in keeping correct weight, fat here and there.

Sounds simple but I cannot get there.
    I used to have that as a kid, no more.
    But here is a guy on this site who can eat sugar and white potatoes and stays lean and highly muscular. Gain or loose weight at will.
    But 37C is his normal temperature.
    I was eating huge amounts of T3 and keeping my cortisol high, it works up to a point, but not enough.

Talk to your smart friends,
    figure it out,
    let me know.

-------

Currently I think that seafood or fish oils may be the reason for too low body temperature.
    increasing inflammation is correlated with increased temperature
    and vice versa
    O3 fights inflammation.

Except for one person, a girl, everybody who posted their fatty acids here had low AA and high O3, usually EPA.

////////////

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy New Member

Keep on doing the big 5. I have been training HIT for about 3-4 years now. Soon with the quantlet also ;)

10. drezy

drezy Gold

I have almost all the Jack interviews saved off in audio form. I've dispensed with background music and, for the last 3 months, keep Jack interviews on most of the day in the background. What does this do to a human's mind?
    1. Makes me a potential Manchurian Jack candidate
    2. Helps me grasp the framework faster
    This is something contextual that you may help you be able to optimize your fish oil (put to ~1:34:0 5ish):

Also a personal anecdote and if you are cooking oriented, my father hates fish more than anyone I know. If you say "fish for dinner" near him he'll make a face like he just stepped in a fresh dog pile. He just hates the stuff. I'm a foodie kinda guy so this was always the challenge that, if met, would be the crowning achievement of my lifetime. Frankly, James Beard could keep his award if this was attainable.

I wasn't screwing around and knew I only had one shot to trick the old man. After trials and errors on my own, I finally settled on an ahi tuna steak that was as about as robust and meaty as a beef as far as I could tell. My dad dropped off my son after my son's only-grandchild-gets-to-be-prince for hours visit. I asked him "does this taste about right?". He took the bait and said, "Yeah, beefy."

I'd love to stick around longer on this planet, but If I get bit by a rattler snake tomorrow, there is some peace and sense of accomplishment at my core now.

The process involved brining and hot smoking. If you or your wife is cooking oriented hit me with a pm/convo if you'd like or I could slap up the basics in the quieter "recipes" section of the forums.

11. Penny

Penny New Member

Here is a quick lesson in how circadean biology and blue light cause your stomach acid to go to crap - blue light at night will kill melatonin production - without melatonin, your beta cells continue to pump insulin - insulin uses zinc - you need zinc to make stomach acid... are you seeing a trend yet? If you get cold, your respiratory proteins get closer together to make energy - if they are damaged (high heteroplasmy), this will not go well... you need to generate a small burst of superoxide to generate a repair signal to your mitochondria... many people on this forum use nicotine for that - the sunrise will do it for you in your eyes... which are also a clock which needs to run quicker than all the other organs in your body also sporting a clock... seafood is the best and quickest way to get your cells to work - you need electrons from the earth, cells that can hold a charge and sunshine to power it all -

I use supplements for particular hacks - usually damage control from crappy choices - you can get all the zinc you need from oysters, selenium from brazil nuts - really, if I want a heat wave, I just pop 4 of those babies and I can feel my body heating up - gouda cheese will give you k2 also - the whole thing is driven by the sun...

The easiest way IMHO to structure water is to put it out in the sun for 4 hours or stick a mint leaf in it and leave it outside - or a venturi or ice it and swirl it -

I played 3 hours of tennis yesterday in the heat with nicotine gum and my son said I was on fire... it was amazing - it would have been even more amazing if I had some ice water there too -

I also drink lots of coconut water for the potassium -

Sheddie, Sean Waters and Alex97232 like this.
  12. Michael Polito

Michael Polito New Member

Real food only

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There are large areas on earth that are missing vital nutrients.
    Assuming that you have real food,
    and that real food that is exactly how it was 2018 years ago,
    you are going to be missing on those nutrients.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  14. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

How does that helps people in say goiter belt (no iodine).

NO iodine in the soil =
    NO iodine in the plants =
    NO iodine in the people consuming plants from that region

Everybody moves (where?)
    Nobody lives in places unless it is green on this map.
    -------------------
    And this is just about one element.
    there are maps showing missing other elements, boron comes to mind, others.
    -------------------
    I would like to see a map of Earth where nothing is missing and there is nothing in excess.

[​IMG]

Penny likes this.
  16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

At one time everything was perfect.
    Reason I know it is, because people had a brain that was the heaviest ever.
    At this time we think that that place was near current Lake Victoria.
    So, we mad an error.
    We started mowing away from that perfect place.
    That was 100's millions years ago.
    Earth crust moves a lot, up-down or sideways.
    Earth moves thru different space and time, where it has newer been.
    Planetary configurations changes, orbits change, new planets appear in our system, we are constantly going thru different Birkeland currents.
    Also, time change, so likely the place was not perfect any more.
    Since that perfect day, (or period of very long time from pov individual life span), we are loosing brain weight, (on average), (generation by generation).
    We are still making technological progress, but that is only killing us faster (on average).
    Single geniuses do not change average trends.
    Well, maybe some do. Lets not loose a hope.
    Paradigm shift, please come.
    Assume that it will be good for future of humanity.
    How good that would be from individual's pov?

17. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

@JanSz I was just pointing out for the newbies that Dr Kruse does not recommend supplements. Everyone thereafter is free to believe what they want.

Brent Patrick and Michael Polito like this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

Within context I get both points. If your food sources contained no/low iodine then Jan's point about testing and supplementing may be your lifeline until the food supply is corrected.

I'll respectfully take some exception here. Elephants have about 3 times the brain mass. I don't think it's so much the mass that matters versus the structure.

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I agree about elephants.
    I think it may be about a
    (pound of brain)/(total weight).
    It all is explained by @Jack Kruse in some of his posts.

The bottom line is that we are now short of 200-300 grams of brain when compared to the maximum that we ever had.
    Again, there is a Jack's writing on this, somewhere.

drezy likes this.
  20. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

With the shit off a shingle concept, I think it could also depend on light frequencies - an example nicotine conversion to vitamin B3 in the presence of UV and oxygen. https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/another-nad-question.13775/page-3. Animals who don't obtain a nutrient from their diet naturally, or if food is scarce, may be making it by transmuting one (readily available) element to another, using their natural environment. It could also be down to tissue hydration, (particularly for the water soluble nutrients), and the ability to recycle, for example during periods of hibernation. Then there's storage ... it may be normal to have high levels at a certain time of year, and for it to drop in line with the light cycle or cold, which could trigger behavioural changes, like the urge to seek out specific whole foods when they become available, or migrate to get it. In humans, trading cooperation to get high iodine food sources may have enabled living in low iodine areas. Cooperation has huge survival value, and environmental pressure may have helped drive this aspect of brain development.

I might crave a particular food for several days, then not want it for weeks. As my vitamin d storage drops I crave the sun even more and make more effort to get it. Fluctuating levels of nutrients affects my behaviour, whether it's craving liver for a few days, or booking a week in the sun. If food is information, in the right light cycle it provides the context of the whole food, I avoid supplements because I don't want them creating "noise" that interferes with the environmental information I sense as a whole, including food, which could affect my decision making. Supplements are OK in an emergency as a short term treatment, but as I'm constantly hacking my environment, and with the nutrient profile of seafood, as a lifestyle choice it's not for me.:)

Alex97232, CarolandNick and drezy like this.