1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Do I meet the requirements for the Leptin Reset RX?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Ashley, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Please be gentle, I'm still trying to digest everything. Based on the criteria, I'm trying to figure out if I require the Leptin Reset.

Current: I'm 5' 5" and 143#, have been lifting weights sense 2012 about 3-5 days per week, do cardio occasionally, and like to think I eat "healthy' (relative, I know), especially being introduced to Dr. Rhonda Patrick (I try to replicate her way of eating as much as possible, with a bit more protein sense I weight train - plus I have the variant of the APOE4 gene she does too). My body composition is decent, I like to think of myself as healthy fit; A nice amount of muscle, and a healthy amount of fat. I was anorexic from June 2011 to about December 2012. Was in a quasi-recovery state from about December 2012-2014. I've been fully weight (body fat) recovered sense about 2014.

I am hypothyroid and take 2x/day 25mcg T3 and 1x/day 75mcg T4. Latest blood results show normal ranges of thyroid, including reverse T3 (which I know is a criteria).

I'll go through phases of feeling stable, cravings wise, to phases of feeling like I want to eat everything. But I have decent will power, so this tends to not be a huge issue.

I have struggled with fatigue, motivation, and overall zest for life sense anorexia. I know it's many variables, but my hunch is largely dopamine/(nor)epinephrine related (in which I know cold can help with). Point being I'm quite depressed, apathetic, and do not get excited easily. I don't really see the point in doing most anything unless it's practical, which is bothersome. I want to enjoy life. Also, insomnia has been a major issue sense anorexia. I went from at it's peaks, not sleeping for sometimes days, to on a good night getting a few hours of sleep. The past few years have gradually gotten better. Now I sleep on average 6-7.5 hours per night, especially after trying insomnia CBT and taking Kavinace PM (with Phenbut, pre-curser to GABA) by direction of my doctor. I believe gaba has largely been a huge part of my insomnia/anorexia issue, because this supplement has helped immensely. I'm also taking tyrosine for dopamine and SAMe/TMG as her suggestion in relation to my (assumed) neurotransmitter issues.

Anyway - probably more information than necessary. But hoping someone could nudge me in the right direction. Is the Leptin Reset right for me? Should I start somewhere else? Should I add an additional program based on my background? Also I've read some contradictory information on high fat diets being not so great for those with a variant of the APOE4 gene. So much information! My biggest concern is I've tried for a short time a modified keto diet, and gained more body fat than when I create a macronutrient ratio in a balanced way (meaning something like 172g carbs, 150g protein, 90g fat, 2100 calories / 32%carbs/28%protein/.38%fat). I also can maintain a healthy body composition of 143# eating this amount too. Just confused.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You need a human avatar pic up ASAP. It is a forum rule
  3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Woops, there we go!
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Hypothyroidism = a lack of solar stimulus to the anterior pituitary. Watch the Vermont 2017 video and consider reading Hollowich work on the topic. You said you are " I'm quite depressed, apathetic, and do not get excited easily." All tied to POMC, BDNF, melatonin and the D5 dopamine receptor. All tied to a lack of sun and likely too much fake light or nnEMF. The history of anorexia makes me thing this really a serious BDNF issue in the brainstem and hypothalamus.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/time-rethink-your-truth-sun-jack-kruse/
    Sean Waters and Brent Patrick like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is brain-fertilizer made by sunlight diurnally. Sunlight promotes dopamine synthesis in your retina first and then gets into your frontal lobes in your brain before it gets to the brainstem (eg, de Lima et al., 2011). Dopamine, via D5 receptor, has a lot of direct effects on memory and learning, mood and apathy but also stimulates BDNF (Perreault et al., 2013). So with your history it tells me your redox in the cnetral retinal pathways I spoke in depth about in Vermont is your real issue. You need a lot of sun to fix this. That redox will sulfate things well first and then turn cholesterol into sulfated vitamin D3 which is superb for the brain recoveries. Lipids in the brain are molecules that act like lighten bolts for the mitochondrial networks in the brain. D3 only works best if the the sulfation of vitamin D3 was complete by the charge in cells. Sulfation levels of DHEA and D3 are decent proxies for the effectiveness of BDNF and melatonin axis. HOW you ASK? Strap in. I'll have a Patreon blog on this topic quite soon.
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Electric charge in the lipid membranes of neurons are the key to repairing the damaged neurons from your past because neurons and mitochondria in the brain have a special relationship compared to other tissues.
    Specific proteins manufactured in the neuron’s Endoplasmic Reticulm which is directly connected to the outmitochondrial membrane regulate fission and fusion in mitochondria of the brain.

[​IMG]
  7. JanSz

JanSz Silver

Prosit!
    upload_2017-11-11_8-2-54.png
    [​IMG]

@Ashley
    Do your best then verify
    post levels of your

Vit D3
    DHEAs

You should have:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...re-to-move-to-thread.19529/page-6#post-222624

upload_2017-11-11_7-46-42.png

DHEAs--Women 275-400 μg/dL

Get DUTCH
    and
    Spectracell

https://dutchtest.com/resource/dutch-complete-sample-report/
    https://dutchtest.com/shop/

upload_2017-11-11_7-56-59.png

https://www.spectracell.com/order/
    Micronutrient Test (MNT)
    CardioMetabolic Risk

Peruse my posts here:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-4#post-199903

===========================
    In my present understanding:
    to check your deuterium status
    you may want to
    not supplement with with D
    expose your whole body to lots of sun for prolonged time (say 3 months)
    then check your vit D levels

If you fell short on vit D
    rather than supplementing vit D drink more Pellegrino

With time, hopefully @Jack Kruse will provide more guidance on this subject.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  8. JanSz

JanSz Silver

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Thank you both @Jack Kruse and @JanSz's. I've read and listened to all the materials referenced (except the Hollowich reference which I WILL soon). I do have a few questions to finalize my understanding and create an entire plan for myself, as I had a hard time comprehending all of it up to this point (I'm sure as I read more and more it'll make sense with time). I would greatly appreciate any clarifications. It's funny because from a young age I always had a weird feeling I had a dopamine issue. I also have been taking D3 but understand that's not solving the problem.

• To clarify, it's obvious I need tons of sun. To also clarify, it sounds like I need as much as possible after waking, and also again around noon. So would you say for me, literally just be outside with as little clothes on as possible from the time I wake (6am) to about noon if/when possible? I went from being born and raised in Florida the first 27 years of my life, to just having moved to Colorado last November by the way. I suppose being out in the cold during the morning may also be good for me for various reasons I've read on here as well.
    • How long, after doing this everyday, might I expect to see a difference in my symptoms (dopamine increasing, excitement for life, motivation, etc)? How big will the change be? Will I ever be "human" again? Will I ever be "optimal"? Will I ever be excited and motivated again?
    • Reading JanSz's guidelines for those stuck inside in relation to light - I want to clarify the following (luckily my sleep schedule IS 10pm-6am, and I may actually sleep 5-7.5 of those hours). Also my understanding is that this is for those that may not be able to get directly into sunlight in the morning for various reasons (work, etc):
      • At first waking, you're suggesting I plug in 1 Solar Glow 160W and literally stare at it for 2-3 minutes?
      • Then from 6AM-8PM plug in two Exo Terra Solar Glow 160W, two of RubyLux ALL RED and one RubyLux Infrared Bulb NIR-A at my workstation?
      • Then 8-10PM keep two RubyLux ALL REDand one RubyLux Infrared Bulb NIR-A and remove the two Exo Terra Solar Glow 160W?
      • Again, this is to clarify, as I want to ensure if I purchase these items I'm using them right, as there are times during the week that, because of my schedule, it is challenging for me to be exposed (or not) to the right sources of light.
    • I've worn both glasses and contacts sense age 9. I'm getting a new pair of glasses this December (I've been wearing glasses more often than contacts as of recent). I had a hard time comprehending what Dr. Jack Kruse was trying to explain in regard to glasses wearers. Should I ask for a lens that automatically changes to blue blockers when exposed to blue light? Not wear them during the morning when I'm in sunlight? This part, I just had a hard time getting.
    • After listening to the Vermont video, I understand sun is higher in hierarchy than food when healing/becoming optimal. Again, another thing I have a hard time understanding - would you still suggest I do the Leptin Reset RX in addition to getting tons of sun? Thoughts on the APOE4 gene variant and it's correlation/affects with a lowerish carb diet? Essentially eat fish daily? Almost every meal overdoing it, or ideal? Guess there's just soooo much information I'm trying to learn for the enjoyment, but also trying to narrow down what I specifically should be doing for my individual situation.
    I should also mention I had a concussion January this year. I was unconscious for a time after. I know that this doesn't help. Also, while I'm at it, what are your thoughts on eating salmon roe everyday to assist? I know a bit contradictory to light being 2/3 energy, and food 1/3. Just thought I'd sneak that one in to hear your point of view.
  10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

• To clarify,.. would you say for me, literally just be outside with as little clothes on as possible from the time I wake (6am) to about noon if/when possible? YES , excellent.
    • I suppose being out in the cold during the morning may also be good for me for various reasons . Again YES
    • Will I ever be "human" again? Will I ever be "optimal"? Will I ever be excited and motivated again? YES. How long is difficult to answer. Just go on the ride.
    • Reading JanSz's guidelines for those stuck inside in relation to light ..- Janszs recs are solid, but as you are at the beginning and are looking to improve rapidly,what else could you do? Rather think about what you could do about not being indoors.
    • I've worn both glasses and contacts sense age 9. I'm getting a new pair of glasses this December (I've been wearing glasses more often than contacts as of recent). No glasses when you are outside. Blueblockers when you are under artificial light ,in front of a screen. If you are outside after sunset for any reason Blueblockers. Natural blue light is your friend . Contacts are an absolute NO.

• Essentially eat fish daily? Yes. Fresh Oysters !!
    • Almost every meal overdoing it, or ideal? To start it may well be a good idea bearing in mind you just had a concussion. Good pork ,mushrooms are excellent diet additions ,too.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Silver

Since deuterium entered conversations,
    not only water for consumption but also food can be evaluated from pov of its deuterium content.
    Less better.

Off hand, fat is usually excellent choice.
    But I am also thinking of juice in green vegetables.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/deterium-and-the-seasons.20422/#post-227669

More deuterium occurs in food supply in spring and summmer
    and
    it should be deuterium depleted in the winter.

It marries perfect to the sun assuming you are not at equator.
    There is also diurnal variations our cells pay attention too as well.

//
  12. JanSz

JanSz Silver

13. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Thanks for clarifying, @Lahelada, and for the additional information @JanSz. I have to admit, so far some of this information is over my head but I'll do my best to gradually read through and understand.

Sense Jack's response, I've been making a point for the moment to go out first thing in the morning to catch some sunlight. I've also been jump roping and doing stretches before 10am for at least 25 minutes out in the sun for now as I try to rearrange my schedule (I am working on finding a way to slip more sun time in).

For now I'm just digging in as much as possible on Dr. Jack's blog posts and videos. I listened to an interview he did this year, where he goes into detail about all the different blue blocker glasses he uses. I already had an appointment for December to get new glasses, so I'm glad I'm informed to purchase the right ones.

I'll continue to navigate (and hopefully comprehend) all the blog posts so I can really understand how to become healthier/optimal.

I'm still unclear if I should consider the Leptin Reset. I read to within the reset to stop exercising, which is hard for me to stomach because it's just something I do consistently - it's become a part of my life.

Also I see the theme of oysters being the "king" of food choices. I've been getting Salmon Roe through VitalChoice and see they have a few Oyster options. I know probably trivial, but any suggestions on what kind? https://www.vitalchoice.com/products/oysters-cultured. Is it okay to eat a serving of both salmon roe and oysters every day? I guess I'm mostly concerned about the Vitamin D3 content in the roe and getting too much.

I'm really excited to dig deeper into all this - I've probably annoyed my boyfriend about everything I've read up to this point and spewed back to him in excitement and pure fascination. Thank you! :)
  14. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

Take it slow... and just try and do all the key things right as early as you can.

If you work everyday, then it's going to take a few years to get through all the recommended reading books (Becker, Nick Lane, Pollack etc.) + all the blogs + all the forum threads and responses + all podcasts and videos.

I think you're answer is a lot more simple, you need the Sun. You have similar issues to me, dopamine/ apathy... Colorado and the UK are both not good for this. You might want to consider moving back near the 20th latitude... If you really want to correct these issues then this will be your focus.

For the meantime, the key things I would focus on = Regular morning Sun, avoidance of Technology and Blocking (with blue block glasses) artificial light, Cold Thermogenesis and Seafood (oysters, tuna, salmon etc.) will give you a massive boost for a certain amount of time. But they won't help you forever in Colorado I'm afraid...

I too used to watch Dr Rhonda patricks videos, JRE podcasts were amazing with her. Unfortunately, you can't solve a mitochondrial disease with a Green Smoothie or Ketosis, not permanently anyway. This is why I will be getting my arse out of the UK and to the tropics in the next couple of years.
    Ashley likes this.
  15. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Thanks, @Sean Waters!

I'm planning to listen/read (print version) of the materials while I'm outside in the AM during coffee and breakfast, along with outside morning meditation. :)

Ever sense Dr. Jack mentioning the sun I've been getting as much as I possibly can (went on a few hikes, and the cold isn't so bad when you're moving, plus I'm sure that'll just add to the equation in a positive way). I've been going out in the mornings around 6/6:15am as I mentioned with my coffee/breakfast (been loading on seafood). My boyfriend and I are explorers and are definitely up for moving once we have the means to again, as we just landed here in CO recently. Plus I'll be visiting family in Florida at least 1-2 times per year 1-2 weeks at a time (my 2 week vacation there is coming up next month, so I will be soaking the sun and grounding on the beach every chance I can get). I'd been reading Dr. Jack suggesting vacations to certain latitudes for those who live in sub-par locations to recharge. I'm hoping these trips to Florida will at least help a bit while I live in CO.

I notice Dr. Jack appears to be a fan of HIIT, from my comprehension, to enhance BDNF (and other reasons I'm sure). I LOVE moderate bodybuilding/ heavy power-lifting hybrid training. I'm just wondering if because I'm already in a bad state if this form of training is more a hindrance. I tend to weight train 3-5 days per week 30-45 minutes at a time. I also do moderate intensity cardio 1-3x/week and hot yoga occasionally. I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good and what training protocol I should follow, as I really do enjoy the overall affects (mental, physical, aesthetic ). Anyone have feedback on training when you're also dopamine deficient? Do I need time off? Do I cut back?
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I would focus on the sun part before you go nuts on HIIT. I spoke about this today on a podcast with Aaron Alexander. It is not live yet.
  17. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

@Ashley ... I have had to cut back, it is so draining on your system when nothing is replenishing your battery (sun) and something is draining it (nnEMF + blue light).

Seemed fine for about 1 year, I was training 4 times a week with Saunas post workout and CT. Ketogenic diet, 7% body fat and 88kg for 6 ft 1. All was going great.

Then one day your Mitochondria can't hold up your wants and needs because of your training angst/ anxiety. When they become sub-optimal, you're fighting a losing battle to get them right. This is when you can become desperate, you'll lose all your gains quickly as your Mitochondria (40% of muscle cell mass BTW) are in suicide mode. You'll lose muscle, strength and energy in weeks.

My advice, cut back on the workouts to zero if need be - get yourself right, give yourself a break and get some sun. Once you feel like a little kid again, with energy to burn... and you'll feel it, then that's the time to train. This modern society tells you to train harder when you're on your last legs "BECAUSE THATS WHERE THE GAINS ARE".

It's a lie. A big nasty lie.