1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DIY ice vest 2.0

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Andrés, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Andrés

Andrés New Member

Although not as comfortable as the professional Ice Pack Vest since it is quite rigid at first, I think my approach a little more in line with the idea of getting our skin colder: I am trying to apoptosise some belly fat [​IMG]. I share some details of my customized ice vest, just in case it gives someone any useful idea.

An image of the Maxcold Ice Substitute, that is, reusable ice cubes for coolers. The box says that it stays cold twice as longer than gel packs but I don't have any idea if it is true. Each one is 1 pound. I used four of these in the version 1.0 of my ice-vest, using packing tape to join them in pairs and to make the suspenders joining them. The main problem was that with only four I had some area on my small back and in my upper torso unused. So I added two more. The one to cover my upper torso is flappable.

[​IMG]

I put on the ice-vest first.

Second, I put a simple (and old) T-shirt so the next compression garment isn't stuck with the cubes (I found out the hard way [​IMG]).

Third, the compression garment (not very manly... but quite chip on the street market [​IMG]).

And, at last, a warmer
    vest so it doesn't loose cold to the air. I bought it at the street market too this summer and it certainly makes a difference in the duration of the ice.

[​IMG]

I wear it for one and a half hours. When I take if off the ice is mostly melted and my skin cherry-pink [​IMG].

2. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

This actually looks like a great alternative to the manufactured ones.  I like that all the pieces are customized you fit your particular body.  Thanks for the great tips!

I think folks could actually wear this to work in the morning.  I'm thinking a long (or short) sleeve t-shirt with a North Face vest as the top garment.  It may be a bit bulky but would look a whole lot better than just the ice around the body.

3. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Hey Andres,

Thanks for sharing.  I went with the cold fat burner vest, hoping it works out.  I'm not going for really long sessions but it's great to know you can use that DIY version for 90 minutes.  It means I could make something at home that would last 45 minutes pretty easily.

best,

jesse

4. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

So far I have had mixed results with the cool fat burner.  It's very tight and uncomfortable until the gel pads get quite thawed.  So the initial 20-30 minutes are with minimal contact to my body as the stiff gel pads only touch on a couple of areas.   This leaves me with laying back against a large pillow to try to maximize surface contact.  That's no better than sitting in the tub for me.  The point of the device was to make me a mobile thermogenerator but for the first 1/2 of the session I'm tied to the couch.  When it does thaw somewhat I can start attaching the velcro straps, but when you cross over the gel paks you get a really unbalanced cold effect as the left side (which has the velcro on the outside) is close to the chest by the right side (with it's velcro on the inside) is held away from the chest.  This resulted in a skin temp of 50F on the left and 67F on the right.   Not ideal.   A bit frustrating after spending good money and I'll likely return it (they have, seemingly, a great return policy).

I only post this here, not as a dig against the company that I have no qualms with, but to encourage folks that may be on the fence about trying to design their own DIY solution that it may be comparable to what's available commercially.  I'll crosspost this to the thread discussing cool fat burner too.

5. endless

endless New Member

Post it in the CFB thread...Eric, the company owner, checks that thread. I agree that the first while seems a waste while the cooler packs are solid and stiff. I think that if you are unhappy with the fit though that he will replace it for you. Seems like this initial batch were homemade by different seamstresses...maybe yours had a strap attached in the wrong place?

6. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Thanks Endless,

I had already x-posted it over into that thread. And overall I'm feeling happier with the tool when faced with the alternative of designing a better one [​IMG]

take care!
    jesse

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for the idea, Andres. I can't afford a more expensive solution right now, and I already have those exact ice packs on hand, from early CT experiments.

8. Andrés

Andrés New Member

You're welcome!

9. sootedninjas

sootedninjas New Member

10. So I'm going to give the Maxcold packs a try. Looks like $18 gets me 6 sheets the 44 cube packs on Amazon. In fact, if you don't mind spending a little more Amazon has the Flexi Freeze brands for $22.50 which is roughly equivalent amount of ice as the 6 sheets of the Maxcold. Plus they use 100% water if that is a concern. Definitely worth the experiment.

Has anyone tried these and measured body temp? Do they get you cold enough for a prolonged period? I'm wondering because I might just double the order and make 2 vests and just swap them out when the temp rises too much

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  11. Ya know. Considering how flexible these sheets are and how inexpensive I wonder what it would take to make sleeves of ice packs for my arms and legs.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think non fluoridated water is best.............I dont want any VOC's on my skin.

13. Hmmm. So ice packs no bueno? Or at least not optimal. That would mean the Flexi Freeze Vest in the Optimal store isn't optimal either.

14. I'm still kind of hung up on the idea of a cooling vest. I'm sure get submerged in the tub with a ton of ice is best but that can get quite expensive unless. I guess an option might be to buy an ice maker and another ice chest to store it but neither are that cheap . I guess that is part of the reason I'm fixated on a resusable ice vest/garments. I wonder what might be a good safe substrate to use between the ice packs and the skin that will still allow optimal cooling. Sounds like something to add to my research list.

15. notsoperfick

notsoperfick New Member

16. shah78

shah78 Gold

Used chest freezers are $50. Used gallon milk containers are Free. Ice vests are half assed at best! You are avoiding OPTIMAL. Use both. Good luck

freesia likes this.
  17. Tones

Tones New Member

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This should shock people

19. 493403g494f99539

493403g494f99539 New Member

I was like "looks same to me..."

then I turned off f.lux lol.

For just one arm tho?

seanb4 likes this.