1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Direct sunlight for babies

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Lindsay Alfieri, Jan 28, 2019.

1. My husband said that many doctors in Italy don't recommend babies being in the direct sunlight especially during the hot hours of the day... I can understand during the hot hours but this doesn't make sense to me to avoid it altogether?! I wanted to double check this with Jack and the forum so I could argue with my husband lol. We are heading to PDC for 3 weeks and I want my kids to take in as much direct sunlight as possible! My plan is to have them outside from sunrise and all morning so they will naturally build up their solar callus to be able to take on a little bit of the stronger sun in the afternoon. Obviously we will be in and out all day and if i see them getting pink or getting too much I will remove them from the sun but to avoid direct sunlight altogether seems ridiculous. Any comments?

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

Hopefully they have been building their solar callous in AM light as a prerequisite to the trip.

If not I think it's going to be a good summer healthspan activity to get them out every single morning. Every morning outside is a rule that has made significant impact on my health.

If you're out for the lions share of the morning everyday I'm personally not too worried what you choose do from 1pm -3pm. I've been freeing up the flexibilities of my activity in order to be outside more frequently over the last 2 years. If I've had enough sun in the summer I get under a tree for dappled shade. I choose this path because I think that natural sounds also play a part in optimal health as well (wind, birds, bees...). I'm not in a rush to put myself in a place where the only ambient sounds are refrigerator compressors and dishwashers are the native sound if I don't have to.

Raising kids is a tough business and there is much pumped out there to instill fear in parents.

Good luck and enjoy the vacation!

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

David Key just posted this yesterday in the Gold group: "Just learned something from my Filipino friends. In the Philippines, newborns are taken outside into the Sun at sunrise. The infant is undressed in order to maximize sun exposure. Also, after being face up the baby is flipped over to get sun on its back to get the most amount of sun."

[​IMG]

4. Thanks Drezy! Yes i have been getting them up for the sunrise since October, when I found Jack, however we live south of Boston so our outdoor activities are limited because of the weather and a good percent of the time we can't see a sunrise. We are working on a plan to move south asap but in the meantime i am doing what i can here. Every morning i bundle them up, pack them into the car and drive down the street to where we can see the sun rise. If it's not frigid out, i get them out of the car and sit on the ground and watch the sun rise. I hope one day we will be living in a place where the sun shines all the time and we don't have to get in the car and drive to see it rise and all my efforts now will be a thing of the past :) It's tough to live up here but on the positive side it's making me work hard to be a mitochondriac. Sometimes if things come too easy, we don't appreciate them... i appreciate them now...a lot! And I like working the protocol...i feel productive. I guess we will see how their solar callus is when we get to MX... however we did go to florida two times between october and december and they didn't burn at all so that's good... I'm really excited to experience PDC though...i went there 15 years ago and didn't know what i know now. Thanks again Drezy!

drezy likes this.

5. Beautiful wisdom passed down from generation to generation...

6. drezy

drezy Gold

It's clear that you love those babies. They are beautiful babies and they are lucky to have you as a mom.

Lindsay Alfieri likes this.
  7. That is so kind of you... thank you so much Drezy...