1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Digfference in body composition between men and women

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Endless, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Endless

Endless Guest

I've always heard that early female humans maintained a certain amount of body fat in order to achieve and sustain pregnancy. How does this tendency manifest (or does it) in modern women? Has it been demonstrated that women respond to cold adaptation the same way as men do? I'm not down with doing it and ending up with larger fat stores instead of smaller ones:eek:

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Woman still maintain a higher BF percentage than men, even when considered extremely fit. If we go below 12% BF, we lose our period. Without our periods, no babies!

3. Endless

Endless Guest

Thanks, Glamorama. I realize that we always carry a higher percentage, I guess I'm just concerned that it would increase rather than decrease with the CT, sort of an evolutionary safety measure.

4. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I'm not sure, but I'd think our bodies would get worried if we started to get below 20%, so anything between 20-25% would be considered "safe", but below that the body would kick up a fight. But at that level you have to seriously raise your cortisol with macros and hardcore WOs, and I doubt anyone on this forum would eb that silly. :D

5. eva

eva New Member

i reached a sub 15% bf with intermittant fasting and ketopaleo. mind i have been paleo for 12 years and i am a powerlifter. my period is good and well. it is not a question of bf% but NUTRIENTDEFICIENCY! im sorry, just had to chime in because im one of the silly people :) have had my cortisol and DHEA measured and they are in the perceft range btw.

6. I'm also one of those weirdos who had a low BF%. When I was 39 I was in great shape, felt good, weighed 124#, 5'8", 14% bf, and had my period every 25 days regularly. I worked out only 2 days a week and walked for 50 min 5 days, mostly for fun. I ate the 40-30-30 way (not the best I realize now, but also not the worst!), mostly organic and cooked most of my food. I stayed that way for pretty much 9 years until I was diagnosed hypothyroid and had gained weight. I'm hoping to get back close to that weight now with 11#s to go, but also realize that I'd be happy at 18-20% bf.

7. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I'm totally jealous of you two!! Getting under 26% for me requires an enormous battle and lots of cardio. I just store fat and have great wide hips to carry it all, lol! Of course I've never been eating Paleo in the past, who knows, I might just get within a normal, fit range this time around.

8. healthnut

healthnut New Member

I was single digit BF% (4-5%) while prepping for bodybuilding competitions. I wouldn't recommend it though. Everyone commented I looked like a million bucks..... but I felt like crap..... periods ceased..... wounds would not heal.... hair was falling out....was weak..... cold constantly and depressed. Subsisting on predominantly chicken breast, brocolli and limited overall fat to get ripped is a major drag. Quick way to ruin your metabolism, and crash the adrenals. After getting out of bodybuilding it took several years to recover my metabolism/thyroid.... and stop binge eating.

9. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Interesting. Depression makes sense, seeing you would lack fat in your diet when you prep.

At what BF% did youf eel the best though?

10. healthnut

healthnut New Member

At 15% I feel great. When I got down under 10%, I could feel the effects of low bodyfat tearing my body down. It impaired my ability to function emotionally, pysically & sexually.

11. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I'd love to be 20% even, 15% sounds so tiny! But it looks great, I've seen the chicks on cutandjacked.com! (most are probably less than 15% in the contest-shoots). Maybe check with me and another 24 months, CT and Paleo might have gotten me past the 26% hurdle. LOL

12. Don't be jealous because that was a LONGGGGG time ago and I am 25% bf now. I'm working on turning the fat into muscle and getting that % down. You will get where you want to be...slowly is the best way. I took me a while to get there before and can't wait for similar results but this time with being totally healthy!

13. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Do you have a journal here? I would love to follow your progress as I'm doing something similar. I LHT in the gym 3 times weekly, but I never stress cardio (just a weekly sprint), and the amount of muscle I've packed on in just 5 weeks is nothing short of amazing, HOWEVER the fatloss is nice and slow. Too slow. :D

14. No journal but thinking of creating one. I'm just starting the LHT and haven't starting sprinting. I hate any kind of running but will try it for the sake of health! I've really enjoyed watching your progress and I am a few months behind you. Working on the ED right now. That's not going fast enough for me but trying to be patient. I know once I solve that issue the other hormones will fall into place as I am taking a pregn and DHEA too. Then I think the fat loss, muscle building will start for me. You are my idol for what you have done and hope I can only follow in your big footsteps!! Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I was still 29% BF when I got measured last month, but I think they got it wrong. I look more like 27% now.

I struggled with ED too, it took ca 12 weeks for the estradiol storm to pass. Have you looked into the EstreoFactors-supplement to help you flush it out? And you're right, once the estrogen was sorted, I suddenly woke up and had a flat stomach. It was literally overnight. I was baffled!

16. Oh yeah, 29% sounds too high for the way you look. I'm only 26% and look like a fat thin person, out of shape person. 1 1/2 yrs no exercise because of bad thyroid and adrenal fatigue. Now the adrenals have become so much better with Leptin Rx, circadian protocol and CT. I can totally feel it.

I am taking DIM right now. Will look into Estro-Factors. Thanks for the guideline on the estro flush. I am slowly starting to lose again after gaining due to the estro detox. Can't wait for the flush and an overnight flat stomach. The joke in my family is that when I was born they didn't know where to spank me: my butt or my tummy cuz my belly stuck out so far! I was always that skinny kid that had the tummy. Hilarious!

17. eva

eva New Member

15% on me is way from tiny - im 5ft 6,5 and 136 lbs. theres musclemass present :)

18. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Photo please!!! :)

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

it is because leptin and adiponectin are sexually dimorphic hormones.

20. eva

eva New Member

ill have to remember to ask my SO to take the camera to the gym sometime soon - will do!