1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Did 37.9 Degree Water For CT & Have A Question

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by AdamF, Dec 19, 2018.

1. AdamF

AdamF New Member

Today:
    37.9 deg. F water for 10m 30s
    --Wearing only Kinniki. No foot or hand covers.

Towards the mid-point of session, intuitively I fell in to a Wim Hof like breathing pattern.

After 2-3 minutes of this, I started getting warmer in the water.

Especially when I did breathing retention.

After the session, the temperature of the water raised by 2 deg.

Did I really raise the water temperature myself or was this more likely due to the temperature gradient between ambient air and the water?

Ambient weather was 48 deg F.

drezy likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

We often have a series of 3 people lined up for the 75+ gallon cold tub at my place.
    I'm not too surprised with a 2º rise in temperature.

My son and I like 50F my wife still prefers around 58F. If she goes last we can usually add about 4 - 6º.

3. AdamF

AdamF New Member

Wtf, happened again.

From 43 deg. to 46 deg. at 32 deg. ambient weather?!?!

4. RobInDC

RobInDC New Member

Awesome that you’re having success with this.

My protective Wim Hof Instructor side wants to say:

** Don’t do the Wim Hof breathing in water. It’s easy to black out with that breathing style. **

Several of his students have shallow water blacked out and died from doing the breathing in a tub and Wim always says don’t mix them.

Keep the breathing calm (inhale nasal/exhale mouth) and don’t push it while in the tub.

If you want to add the breathing... do a couple rounds of the breathing, then eat something DHA rich, then go in the tub when you feel settled.

Christine_L and drezy like this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm with @RobInDC

I don't know shit-all what "Wim Hoff Breathing (TM)" means and could care less.

Get into cold water. Let those mitochondria do the work.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have a blog on breathing in the QT series......READ it.

Wim method is really off.

drezy likes this.
  7. Butters

Butters New Member

Basically Wim Hof breathing is breathing that is forbidden before every diving test. Because you just breathe our more Co2 therefore lowering Co2 pressure in the blood and delaying the breath reflex, despite your body is actually deprived of O2.
    Watch free divers, they NEVER do that for a reason.
    And my tubtemp is also raising, normal effect of conduction. And getting warmer is I think combination of constriction of surface capillaries + warming surrounding water. Because when you move it gets damn cold, when cold water flows in. Because of that swimming is CT maximum. And because of that cold showers are often harder, because you have constantly cold water running down on you.

Lahelada likes this.
  8. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

I usually add 2 degrees to the water as well. Shouldn't that mean that my body is warm and the heat is dispersing to the water? or am I missing something obvious about physics lol? For example when you put a hot stone in hot soup it keeps the soup from getting cold?