1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Diaper Rash

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by trishalinn@gmail.com, May 2, 2012.

1. My babies are 11 months and experiencing their first diaper rash... yes both of them at the same time! I've been using desitin on their little bottoms, but wondering if anyone has a better, more natural recommendation.

2. skywaykate

skywaykate Gold

I use coconut oil with great success on my girls. They are 2.5 yo. If you're still struggling to get it cleared up after a few days of that, try Earth Mama Angel Baby brand "Angel Baby Bottom Balm", which I got at Target.

I also slather them with coconut oil in the winter after baths. Instead of futzing with melting it, scoop some into a little (preferably glass) container and keep it in the bathroom...the warmth from the showers and such keeps it close to melting so a little rub in your hands melts it easily. Or, if you keep it near where you change them, it just takes a few more seconds of rubbing to melt it in your hands. Coconut oil keeps most diaper rash,eczema, cradle cap, and dry skin all at bay.

Honestly, I'm freaked out by all the chemicals in most diaper dreams...think about how they recommend to put hormone creams on the vagina, because it enters the blood stream so easily...so those chemicals are entering their bodies wo even much of the skin's defense.

Be aware of what foods they've eaten that might be making them susceptible to the rash...or teething! Good luck!

sent from my phone while wrangling at least 1 toddler...expect typos, smile when you see them...the toddlers or the typos

3. skywaykate

skywaykate Gold

And I meant a glass container so that if you want to microwave it for 10 sec while the bath is being drawn, you can do that wo worry of the plastic leeching.

sent from my phone while wrangling at least 1 toddler...expect typos, smile when you see them...the toddlers or the typos

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've tried EMAB bottom balm and its ok. I love this Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion Spray

however when the kids get a wicked rash - usually yeast/thrush they got from me... I use the following mixture 1oz desitin, 1oz polysporin, 1oz hydrocortizone cream, 1oz lotramine (yes the foot stuff) my pediatrician told me this recipe he's been using this for years!

I usually have to stop using Cloth diapers when I need to use this stuff - but that's ok... I also put tea tree oil and gse into the the wash with the diapers to clean out the ickies as well.

if you don't want to use the "bum" cream as we call it in our house... take some witch hazel, couple of drops of tea tree oil - and spray it on the bum..wipe off, the use the EAMB... or CO.

5. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

Are you cloth diapering or paper? If you are paper I would recommend some diaper free time... such as tummy time on a towel, frequent changings, and a switch to an ultra natural/organic diaper. If you are cloth diapering I would again recommend diaper free time, and really try to strip the cloth diapers since they sometimes accumulate ammonia or detergents.

For both scenarios I'd soothe their bums with extra virgin coconut oil and stop using soap except when they are truly dirty. It's also possible that it's a yeast/fungal infection in which case a little sunshine on their bums and minimal fruit for a few weeks. I don't know how you birthed but children from c-sections or highly medicalized with lots of antibiotics births have compromised gut bacteria so leaky gut and candida issues seem to be common. My son is a c-section baby and he's definitely sensitive to fruits, nightshades, nuts, and dairy. Diaper rash is often an early sign of leaky gut.

6. vlynnb

vlynnb Gold

Sounds like my 10 month old grand daughter, diaper rash, actually rash all over at times after being treated for croup a few months ago. I am almost sure it is the beginning of a leaky gut. So what do you do nutritionally for a baby to deal with this? She isn't consuming nightshades or nuts yet but some fruits and vegetables that she can eat by hand, doesn't like pureed. Her mother also switched to formula as she was not producing enough milk and the baby wasn't interested in breastfeeding any longer. I am concerned with these rashes coming so often.

7. Thanks for all of the ideas! We've got it under control. We used lotramine a couple of days and now just a little coconut oil.

I doubt it's leaky gut as they really haven't eaten much of anything yet. Not interested in food other than to play with it and squish it between their fingers ;)

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

teething???? ds gets wicked teething rashes from time to time!!!

9. Nourish

Nourish New Member

I would agree with teething if they both didn't suddenly develop a rash at the same time. I would suspect candida or a reaction to something you ate. They could potentially develop leaky gut from a candida infection, dysbiosis, allergies or other infections/drugs that irritate the gut. Breastfed babies can also react to the foods that mom is eating even before they are eating solids. Eczema & colic can be clues.

I use coconut oil for the rare diaper rash my ds gets. Plus diaper free time, baking soda in bathwater, tea tree & lavender on wet washcloth instead of packaged wipes.

10. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

If lotramine solved it then that means it's fungal which equals leaky gut. When my son was getting some diaper issues I started putting a little probiotics mixed with a small amount of breastmilk in to a slurry on my Nipples and On his backside. He still has some mild allergy issues but he never got the diaper rash/candida issues again.