1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Diabetes and Fuel switching: low carb flu = poor mitochondrial ineffieciency

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Jan 4, 2013.

1. In my thesis – an argument for high cholesterol https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/granpa-johns-optimal-journal.23952/page-5#post-310676
    I investigate the cholesterol molecule. It turns out it has hypoxic superpowers -> hypoglycemia.

Most researchers don't even try to formulate the mechanism of action. At best author(s) will append "more research is needed."
    But I believe you know why... I think I do.

The question is always - What is the therapeutic dose?
    In this "inquiry", how much hypoxia with how much cholesterol?

We know breath work comes in many flavors. The question maybe which provides the most sustained levels of lowered oxygen blood levels?
    It turns out that https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...t-a-disease-damn-it.25242/page-19#post-307736 just maybe the ticket.

Your thoughts are invited ;)

2. Christina marks

Christina marks New Member

How would you help a diabetic whose work, while being a daylight shift, doesn't allow him to see the AM sun? Could a red light therapy device help?
    My husband has been on point with his food for a long time now and his diabetes seems to be getting worse and I don't want him on insulin. He has agreed to trying out blue blocking lenses in the evenings when he is relaxing, but I can't figure out how to get am sunlight to him as he is always inside at work during sunrise.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Metformin
    Once a day eating or at least eating within 4-6 hrs to allow insulin fall into very low single digits.
    No high fructose.
    No wheat.

Taking insulin guarantees that he will not get out of the hole.

4. Christina marks

Sorry I should have added he is on metformin and glimpride. He does eat withing 4 hours of waking but probably not the recommended 50 grams of protein...he wears a continuous glucose monitor and we have seen that if he has a large bolus of protein without significant fat his blood sugar spikes. I maybe have to get his first meal higher in the protein range. He really has been mostly carnivore for the last month but was primarily eating keto for the last 2-3 years.

Thanks for replying to me. He's the love of my life so I'm doing my best to gather information.

5. Inger

Inger Silver

Christina, what is his day, his daily habits and food more in detail looking like?
    Protein can spike blood sugar for some. True.
    Has he been eating liver or cod liver oil, I am thinking about his liver health.

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

On this site we are like to say that food is not of primary importance.
    However, importance is also highly dependent of actual deficiencies.
    Since I found
    Spectracell.com
    I am acutely aware of micronutrients.
    Mostly because I am able to test some of them.
    No amount of sunlight exposure is able to correct most deficiency intake.

The Spectracell tests
    upload_2022-11-14_7-7-59.png

To get the two upper lines at the green I had to supplement with chromium.
    Looking at the two upper lines I think diabetes.
    ---------------------
    So look up
    body weight (be on green side of the chart below)
    fasting insulin
    fasting glucose
    chromium

and take actions to make corrections
    When worrying about diabetes it is easy to say
    drop carbohydrates but eat only fat and proteins.
    That is also incorrect. Watching and staying away from high fructose does most of the job.
    ----------------------------
    About 200 years ago, incoming technology added new food people eat.
    Vegetable oils plus modifications of liquid to solid oils
    Highly milled and separated grains
    high fructose (mostly gotten from corn)
    --------------------------------
    Micronutrient deficiencies are of growing public health concern.
    #3680 (jackkruse.com)
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-184#post-317533

upload_2022-11-14_7-16-37.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  7. Anne V

Anne V Silver

Dr Zoe Harcombe, PhD

·

World Diabetes Day started in 1991. And still public health bodies promote low-fat high-carb diets for people who can't handle that carbohydrate. Good for fake food and pharma; bad for those with diabetes [​IMG]

8. Christina marks

He gets up at 5:45 am Monday through Friday and is at work 7-3. He has a job in maintenance so some days he is inside all day and some days outside for hours.

Food is mostly carnivore in that it's eggs,bacon, sausage,beef 70/30 (his bloodsugar temporarily seems to go down when he eats the beef), chicken, some cheese, peanuts (not carnivore and not great for him but it's his only snack and he still likes a snack at night), salami,venison...it's a very limited list because he tends to be a picky eater.

Meals are generally all the same during the workweek with the first meal at 9:30 and its not large generally a large helping of slices salami and chunks of Colby cheese. I have the details in his myfitness pal app that I don't have access to right now...I tracked his food for 2 weeks to make sure his carb count was good. Lunch is a large portion if whatever meat we had the night before and if it's lean I add some fat either as a dip or melted cheese (once again, picky eater). Dinner is generally the same, a meat with some fat. Tonight is chicken breast grilled and he will have some ranch to dip and shredded cheese melted on top.

We hunt pretty often this time of year so he gets the setting sun but not often the rising sun. I just ordered blue blocking lenses for the evening because we have LED lights that I need to get rid of in our house. He is an electrician so most of what I have communicated to him from what I've learned here makes sense to him it's just putting it in practice.

With his glimpride and metformin he takes B1, berberine, and biotin. I guess I should get some liver support.

I looked at that site and it makes it look like you need a doctor to order the tests? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong. It definitely could be a micronutrient deficiency as he didn't eat many plants prior to going keto/carnivore...he was always a meat and potatoes person till he had to lose the potatoes.

His blood sugar has been running 150-170 consistently unless he eats a bolus of protein or carbs in any amount at which point it might touch 200. Then it will plummet down lower then where it started...be there for a few hours in what I would call a good range of 100-130 then slowly climb back up over the course of a few hours. He does have dawn syndrome...like a clock it spikes at his waking time no matter what time he wakes. Generally it goes to 170, sometimes it stops 150ish but I can't find a reason why it differs.

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

10. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Hi Christina :)

If he is wearing a continuous glucose monitor it may be worth testing a few things and seeing what works ..... One is the idea of eating a source of fibre first, so it could be a seasonable salad/veg starter followed by the protein, and then if any carbs are eaten, do that last with extra fat. (Check out Jessie Inchauspe on youtube)

[​IMG]
    You could adapt the epi paleo using seasonal foods, but she tested using a continuous glucose monitor and the results are interesting.

In her book she gives lots of tips but one of them that I've used is vinegar. A tablespoon of ACV in a large glass of water before meals reduces blood sugar spikes in the following meals. How it works is explained in another book but put simply, its an uncoupler ... it signals the mitochondria and repair and make more of themselves, i.e. "uncouple" and "waste" fuel as heat, which positively affects blood sugar control.

You don't necessarily need to cut out fructose from seasonal fruit, the effects on blood sugar are different if the fruit (say seasonal local berries) are eaten at the end of the meal, particularly if they are eaten with a source of fat such as cream. Its the juicing, smoothies and eating it between meals or first that is the biggest problem. Seasonal berries for example also contain polyphenols, which apart from its nutritional compounds also trigger uncoupling, and the slow absorption through the liver does not have the same signalling effects as a hit of a juice or smoothie. Something else (from a different book!) is that dehydration can promote fructose production endogenously so not enough water and/or high salt can lead to fat accumulation, which can affect organs. (Its apparently how camels and desert animals store fat in their hump/tails etc, it provides water when used as fuel).

Another thing worth considering is googling spirulina and diabetes. (and chlorella). Just one quick link is
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128157763000334

JanSz likes this.
  11. Christina marks

Thanks! He really doesn't e
    Thanks! He really doesn't eat fiber or fruit of any kind. How do you take your ACV? I for thr life of me can't get it down, it just tastes so nasty lol

12. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Getting the blue blocking lenses is a good start, but its also what his sleep is like and whether he is willing to change his eating pattern. The diet seems restricted and not seasonal, and eating in the evening will affect sleep and blood sugar control and the circadian rhythm of cellular repair at night. If the peanuts are salted he could be flipping the switch to store fat, which may accumulate in the liver, and getting some liver support isn't likely to overcome that. As he is already in a diabetic hole, working towards not eating for 4 hours before bedtime will give him a better chance of being able to enter the right stages of sleep at the right time, and give the liver time for housecleaning in line with the liver's circadian rhythm. So if he currently has a snack say 2 hours before bedtime, perhaps stretch it to 2 and a half hours and then 3 etc, aiming for no snacks after the last meal eaten 4 or more hours before bedtime. There's benefits from time restricted eating too, but its working towards that, rather than going all in and giving up because energy crashes etc.

Eating some fibre (like seasonal plants and fruits, or microalgae like spirulina and chlorella) will also feed the microbiome, which in turn will provide nutrients, some free fatty acids, and signalling molecules, which in turn may reduce appetite for large amounts of protein. There is also a link of high red meat intake to uric acid - not necessarily to gout producing levels, but this paper refers to it being a risk factor to diabetes. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3131180/.

I've also read of a possible link between sleep apnoea and the low blood oxygen levels causing increased uric acid levels, so even if its not full blown sleep apnoea, that's another possible link. (My husband stopping snacks and eating earlier led to a dramatic improvement in his snoring!) Peanuts are higher in purines than other nuts so more uric acid ... Seafood contains purines too, but comes with anti inflammatory compounds such as DHA, and is a major component of the epi paleo diet. As a legume, peanuts are not on the plan and eating them at night is deffo not ideal.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/2/563/htm is about microalgae such as spirulina and chlorella and metabolic syndrome and related conditions. I've also read papers about it being protective against diabetic complications such as eye problems, so it could be worth thinking about while he is working on the light water magnetism angles. They are grown as food crops, which as well as a powder can be bought as tiny tablets which can be swallowed whole with water, which might be helpful for a picky eater. :)

With the ACV question, I just put it in a large glass of water before a meal and just chug it down, but you can use it in a dressing with olive oil. Other vinegars are possible to use. Balsamic or other fruit vinegars will contain sugars, (although also polyphenols) which for diabetes might not be a first choice to start with in a drink on an empty stomach, but Balsamic mixed with olive oil and drizzled over a salad could be one of the benefits of the Mediterranean diet, (other cultures using different condiments and side dishes that provide vinegar, all sources of acetic acid).

Warren Canavan likes this.