1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DHEA Vitamin D raise testosterone right?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jennie747, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jennie747

Jennie747 New Member

So as a female with too-high testosterone I should not take those? I have been supplementing D for about 5 years as it was on the low end, now I'm wondering if that screwed me up? I bought some DHEA but then gave it to my husband after reading about how it raises testosterone. This is all so confusing.

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I think you need to supplement your Vitamin D until you get it high enough... and you need to make sure you get a lot of natural sunlight on you. I know that some of the men have talked about shirtless/naked sunbathing as a natural way, along with epi paleo and light cycles, to raise their T, but I don't think that implies that vitamin D will raise T in women.

DHEA can convert to T, but you can take 7-Keto as well. Why did you buy the DHEA in the first place? Were your lab values tested and low? I think it also matters in what form you take it and I believe Dr K has said that you can experiment and test to see what happens.

I guess the main thing is that supplementation should be in reaction to specific needs and the context of your labs. Does that help at all?

3. Jennie747

Jennie747 New Member

Thanks for your reply!

My D levels have been ok lately, after supplementing. My DHEA has never been tested as far as I know. I bought it after Dr. Ks blog on it because he made it sound so great & I thought I might try to make face cream out of it. It was while googling how to make face cream that I came across the testosterone comments.

What is 7-Keto?

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

7-Keto is the precursor to DHEA. It doesn't convert to T, but can help build DHEA levels. I think testing for hormones is wise before using them. Maybe read the Hormone 101 blog, too, if you haven't. And if your T is too high, have you read about PCOS? And also tested E and P?

5. Jennie747

Jennie747 New Member

My E and P were in the normal range. I have read about PCOS and I have some of the symptoms (acne, weight gain, high cholesterol, hair loss, some hairs on chin) but not others (menstrual irregularities, ovarian cysts, elevated BP, infertility). I have Hashis so that accounts for some of my symptoms too.

I told my Doc about Dr. K at my last appt & he seemed interested, I hope he's been reading up! I'm going to call before I get my labs and see if we can add some more on there.

6. Jennie,

I didn't have a baseline testosterone to compare - but I did get bloodwork done about 4 weeks after starting 50 mg's a day of regular DHEA. My testosterone was crazy high. 3X the max on the range. My hair started falling out - that's how I caught it. I stopped, and ran blood again last week - so I'm anxious to see if/how much it's gone down.

All other labs I get tend to be either in range or near range - so this one stood out by 2 docs, one who thought it could be a lab error. Long story short, I think it was the DHEA so I am now taking only 7-keto.

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I really think you'd love the webinars, esp the BHRT and the Epi Paleo one. Both give great info about hormones and also Hashi's. It's your P:E ratio you need to worry about. Ranges alone won't give you enough info. If you can, check out the webinars... it may help you heaps! Good luck.