1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DHEA-S and Teststerone results

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by fitness@home, Feb 7, 2013.

1. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Still going through lab results but these stand out.

Think I need to lay off the DHEA cream...

DHEA-S 257, range 15-170 mcg/dL (50% over the top of the range)
    Testosterone, 73, range 2-45 ng/dL

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you altering things just using your own intuition? or are you using some guidance?

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Looked at the optimal ranges in the lab test document we were sent and I am well over those numbers. For women and DHEA, I believe it said up to 10% over the range.

I feel good and am not exhibiting any strong aggressive behaviors :)

4. diane

diane Gold

Maybe your optimal is over the lab ranges? Sometimes while labs can shine the light to problem areas, you also have to go by feel. If you feel good, then sometimes that's more important.

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

A lot of people like to use the Dzugan recommended levels, which are higher than your lab's values. My last DHEA-S was around 327, which is exactly where Dzugan wants it. You might want to get a copy of his book "Your Blood Doesn't Lie" by Sergey Dzugan, MD. Lots of case studies and he gives you optimal hormone ranges.

Remember that lab values are based on measurements done in a large number of people, many of whom may have been ill or have tanked hormones for various reasons. So, normal does not necessarily equal healthy or optimal.

Alison N likes this.
  6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks for the tip on the book kathylu. Do you know if it is downloadable as an ebook?

7. Back late last year my DHEAs was 357. I was sleeping great and had no discernible side effects. Then..... I got a little freaked out by that number because I was a little over lab range and backed off the supplementation. Now it's at 97, sleep sucks, and I am back to building it up again. I won't be making that mistake again. I wouldn't back off if I were you. Remember the lab ranges are for all the sick people who have gone in to get lab tests in your age range. I have that Dzugan book and it has some good references. Great resource and I think that 327 is a great spot to shoot for.

8. megzy9281@yahoo.com

megzy9281@yahoo.com New Member

Hi there, I did a salivary hormone test and my results were DHEA-S average 1.12 (yikes!) and Cortisol sum was low too at 27. My NP started me on a sublingual DHEA and Pregnenelone program however I felt worse after starting since it interrupted my sleep (even at the very lowest dose) so I stopped it and am looking for any help/feedback. Thank you!

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

my n=1 I feel better on higher dose of DHEA. I sleep better, allergies/asthma don't bother me as much... I've pushed my DHEA and pregnenolone where its been out of range - I've backed off a bit... but I definitely feel better w/more vs less

10. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks for the feedback ladies. Not so dismayed at the levels now...

11. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Dr. Kruse says my DHEA S is horrible and I'm a mess. Ugh!!! It was 71L, blood, and 13.5 salivary morning DHEA. He said they are both terrible. I am using 7-KETO DHEA but I don't think that is going to bring up my levels. However, if I do the BAB, CT, Epi-PALEO, GROUNDing, etc., I'm hoping this will work, rather than using any supplements or creams. I'm scared of the sups...have heard some have bad side effects.

12. endless

endless New Member

I've been supplementing with 50mg of regular DHEA for 2 months and my levels still suck....you might have better luck just following the protocols! I'm going to keep supplementing but add the tanning and hope that helps.

13. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You might want to do a blood test. First, I did a salivary DHEA-s and it was high for my age - over 10. When I did the blood test, it was much lower at 124. I don't have much of an advice about supplementing. I usually react to new things as well and have to take baby steps.

14. diane

diane Gold

Mine is going up by supplementing although not there yet. My doctor generously wrote me a prescription for 10mg per day LOL. I was doing 50 - could have pushed it to 75. I am thinking of adding cream, but will have to go to the US to get it.

15. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

I have a little input(yeah! I'm usually too late to post) If you're dealing with a leaky gut, as I was you might take that into consideration. My dhea went from 267 in July 2012 to 1100 in Nov. 2012. I upped it from 75 to 125mg during that time for sleep issues. That's a huge jump imho for only a 50 mg increase. All my labs went up to really good levels and I attribute it to healing my gut.

16. Claudia

Claudia New Member

That's great CarolM. How did you heal your leaky gut? I probably have that, too, but I'm not sure. How would I know?

17. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

Claudia..I did lots of bone broth and lots of coconut oil...I put it in a shot glass, 5 TBLS at a shot. At first 3x a day, then 2x when i went to 2 meals. It's funny, I work in a medical building and several of the Docs asked how I've lost so much weight, when I tell them I was taking up to 1800 cals a day in coconut oil, not one believed me! I'm trying to remember the supplements, resveratrol, curcumin and a heavy duty probiotic.

Your blood tests give the best clues, I don't have my notes here, but I think it's Hdl, dhea and Vit D-anyone please correct me if that's wrong.I got big jumps in labs with no changes in dosages. I never had any of the classic symptoms my symptoms were and still are food sensitivities, dairy and especially egg. I've gotten over the majority of the other ones. I followed Dr. K's blog on Leaky gut...great info in there.

18. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I eat a lot of coconut oil, have for years. I haven't started the bone broth, but I did get some bones. I take probiotic but then, I run out and forget to get it again. I'm taking so many supps it's crazy. That's amazing that you lost weight. I have been eating the Paleo way for 4 years now and before that for about 6 years, I was doing WAP style eating, so not the SAD either. But like DR. Kruse says, there's more to it than just changing the food. I am not in the right pathways and I'm not a fat burner, that is pretty clear to me. I have lot to work on. I think going to bed earlier, using the orange glasses at night, which I finally ordered and they are on their way, and changing some bulbs in the house to amber will hopefully make a difference.

I'm planning on more CT. Tomorrow is the polar bear plunge at a beach near me and I'm really going to try to get there. I'm also going to do more grounding.

I hope all of these things will start to make a difference for me.

19. diane

diane Gold

Carol - how did you know your gut was healed? Are you assuming from the lab increases or did you have other signs?

I do bone broth, kombucha, fermented veggies and pickles.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

read the 6/30/12 blog on DHEA.........then read the DHEA section of EMF 7.......if you dont know why DHEA is that important after those two areas on this site..........well you might need an MRI of the cranium.