1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

DHA for seafood oppossed

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jason Yun, Apr 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

I have a question about how to get more DHA into my wife, daughter (5) and soon to be born son.

I recently stopped taking all fish oil based on Jacks' fish oil blog and other posts (used to take cod and salmon oil) and have upped my seafood intake to usually between 1-4 servings a day.

My wife won't eat seafood on a regular basis and my daughter only eats salmon but she won't eat every day or even week. When I do make it for her it is only a few bites.

This week I made a bone broth 'chicken' soup where I added a bunch of salmon, smelt and shrimp in it to get something in my wife. Daughter won't touch soup yet.

Is there any fish oil that is ok for cases like this? Or is there no fish oil in the SN2 position. Or is there some other things I can do.
    My daughter right now uses the cod liver oil. Wife same cod, plus dr. mercola's antarctic krill oil for women.

Novah, Phosphene and Karen & Glen C. like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Cod liver oil is processed.
    I am assuming that
    Cod liver in its own oil is not or very little processed.
    If you obsess with processing, you may want to drain oil and eat only liver.

Anyhow, liver from cod is just another seafood.

upload_2019-4-3_13-10-51.png

3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Here are a few ideas.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...your-kids-seafood-and-fish.23087/#post-262603

For young kids I would also try shaping the fish cake mixture into balls or logs (for dipping into something) or maybe stars, hearts etc. with cookie cutters.

You could combine the chopped fish/seafood with pork or maybe even beef to make it more palatable and recognizable. I was lucky that my family liked fish—couldn’t get enough as long as I put it in front of them (expensive with teenagers...)

Good luck with that cod liver suggestion! @JanSz have you tried that with your grandkids? :D

Jason Yun and JanSz like this.
  4. KyleMN

KyleMN New Member

What about smoked fish? Or a smoked fish dip?

5. I have been eating lots of crab. Last night i mixed 1lb fresh dungeness crab meat, minced onion, and cheese cheese in double boiler. Spread on top of jalapenos split in half. Broil for15 minutes. The crabmeat is $26/lb. Gourmet as fuck. Still cheaper than a burger at red robin or any other sit down place.

My wife loves scallops. Not me, but ill make them for her.

Made macadamia crusted rockfish last week. Served with lemon wedges. Grand salami, Baby!

Having lemon, tabasco, tartar, and coctail sauce might help with beginners.

Smoked salmon quiche with bacon, asparagus, onions, peppers but sans crust is also good, maybe start with a pie crust and disappear the crust once the get used to it

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Are they getting am? sun If they are not, dha may have to be the second step. They may find it easier after a few weeks in good sun.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy New Member

I think this is a good place to try a bacon weave crust

[​IMG]

8. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Wow Drezy. I'd callout a maple glaze on that, but it would blow the deuterium factor. Mmm

drezy likes this.
  9. drezy

drezy New Member

10. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Lol, you and Janz are a couple of deuterium depleted blog link machines....

drezy likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy New Member

Gotta be honest, I haven't worried too much about depletion at this point, but I spend so many days in UV 9-13+ sun that maybe depletion isn't my most important battle.

12. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Agreed. After a week of strong sun my food sensitivities from the winter months have disappeared. Repeated this the last 2 springs, had no idea why until I saw the Hazda study from the Vermont talk. Jack interpretation for the win again. It is amazing to me though, I could toil in probiotics and humic acid for weeks trying to knock it out or just get out in the sun for a couple days. Soooo simple.

13. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Damn when are you inviting me for dinner that sounds amazing!

Marko Pollo likes this.
  14. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

i get her outside as much as I can, especially before school. I try to get her out for sunrise, winter wasn't as good for her. But weather is breaking here.

Lahelada likes this.
  15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Great. Distastes for food have to do with dopamine levels as well.

Sajid Mahmood likes this.